Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:47 am 

Dumb all over:  <br>a bassline that gets deep under your skin, lyrics perfectly pitched between satire and viciousness.<br><br>Willie the Pimp:  <br>just because it's brilliant (probably that bassline again)<br><br>Po-jama people:  <br>great rock-out stuff<br><br>Eat that question: <br>great riff<br><br>Flakes: <br>I just like it.<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:31 am 

Now this is a hard one... but I'll try:<br>(I don't have any great explanations for these, except that they are all unbelievable GREAT!)<br><br>- RDNZL (maybe my favorite Zappa track ever, so this was easy...)<br><br>- Billy The Mountain (and you definitely need both versions of this...)<br><br>- Road Ladies<br><br>- It Just Might Be A One-Shot Deal<br><br>- Inca Roads<br><br><br>Of course this list is about to change... ;D<br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:30 pm 

1) Echidna's Arf (Helsinki version)-- amazing composed band workout with humor injected.<br>2) Purple Lagoon/Approximate (ZINY)--simply ridiculous musicianship, sicko bass solo from O'Hearn, "bionic" trumpet solo from Brecker...sounds like car chase theme from some 70's Dirty Harry or Bullit type movie<br>3) Trouble Everyday (Freak Out!)-- Gotta love this simple bluesy workout about life in the early LA psych-o-delic era...blow your harmonica son!<br>4) Zoot Allures (Best Band)--Gosh darnit, I love Thunes' bass work on this...Frank's solo is majestically wierd.<br>5) Yo Mama (Sheik)--makes me cry! ;)<br><br>the opinions expressed above represent a temporary form of insanity which is entirely dependant upon the side of the bed I got out of and the weather. This opinion will change as soon as I throw on my next Zappa listening choice....<br><br>what an imposssible question to answer concretely!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:48 am 

1. Dio Fa    (I think is the only one in its genre)<br>2. G-spot Tornado (the Yellow Shark version, made by the orchestra)<br>3. Watermelon in easter hay ('cause it's epic and sexy too)<br>4. Trouble every day (because it's a cry of revenge)<br>5. Cosmic debris (that's the hit)<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:07 pm 

ship arriving to late/envelopes(The structure and mood of the whole thing is great.<br>moggio(it's ggggggggrrrreat)<br>what's new in Baltimore(beutiful)<br>Sinister Footware(The arrangement is ... ;D)<br>Jazz discharge party hats( :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:29 am 

[quote author=Drumstick link=board=albums;num=1043616174;start=0#8 date=02/07/03 at 06:10:57]This is NOT a permanent list, but anyway:<br><br>Synclavier (must be something from Joe's Garage, but can't come up with one)<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>You mean 'Jazz From Hell', I guess?  <br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:57 am 

[quote author=Drumstick link=board=albums;num=1043616174;start=0#10 date=02/07/03 at 06:31:19]No, not really. I know this belongs in the department of stupid questions, but didn't Zappa make JG all by himslef on his little synclavier??<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>That's correct Drumstick. And Ike Willis is a software package.  <br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:26 pm 

stink foot/solo
the o is the u solution/acoustic riffs remind me of john martin
blessed relief/jazz fan
willie the p/first fav
zoot allures/always come back to it

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:05 am 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=albums;num=1043616174;start=0#7 date=02/06/03 at 20:29:18]1. Moggio: It's singlehandedly the most pleasurable instrumental Zappa listening delight imaginable.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>have you heard the version the 'ensemble modern' did a couple of years ago as part of the 'zappa at the proms'(uk)? it's a nice one!<br><br>1. outrage at valdez (beautiful...just beautiful)<br>2. on the bus/ toad-o line (vinnie and frank doing what they do best!)<br>3. inca roads (everything rolled into one)<br>4. put a motor in yourself (who else could do this kinda stuff!)<br>5. blessed relief (another that's just bliss..'a thing of beauty is a joy forever'!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:41 am 

I Don't Wanna Get Drafted - The lyrics are great and the music is even better. The Lost Episodes version is the best since it sounds clean and is great!<br><br>Tiger Roach - Basicly the most fun song I've ever heard. The riff is just so plain good and Captain Beefheart which is the best singer Zappa used, also sings here so sinsear and keeps coughing, screaming and shouting to this great riff.<br><br>The Grand Wazoo - I mean the Lost Episodes version that was performed on synclavier and Beefheart again on vocals. The song itself is completely sick and twisted and I love it.<br><br>Camarillo Brillo - It's simple buildment and it's simple form that just keeps going is wonderful. And it ends with some damn great keyboard playing too!<br><br>Weasels Ripped My Flesh - Yes, you've read right, this is one of the best Zappa songs I've ever heard. It flows constantly with madness, mayhem, screams and freak-out's! Wonderful!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:15 am 

Geesus, it's fun to do this!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:53 pm 

favourite 5<br><br><br>Return of the son of monster magnet - so modern... 8)<br>Brown shoes don't make it - epic tour-de-force extraordinaire. :o<br>Greggery Pecarry - how can this come from a human brain? :'(<br>50/50 - for Ricky Lancelotti (and George's solo). >:(<br>Inca Roads - le coup de foudre. :-*<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:40 pm 

Best Band Piece       Big Swifty<br><br>Best Non-zappa solo:  Purple Lagoon<br><br>Best Show Tune:  Would You Like A Snack<br><br>Best Rock Song:  Zombie Woof<br><br>Best All Around     Inca Roads<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:11 pm 

wow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:07 pm 

The Lumpy Gravy album consists of 2 collages. so it can be considered an album with 2 songs only. One of my all time favorite songs is therefore "Lumpy Gravy Part 2". I find the whole album incredibly innovative and serves as proof that FZ was one of the most important composers since Stravinsky.  When I listen to it I still can't believe this was done in 1968!<br><br>"Let's Make The Water Turn Black" - it always makes me happy. And if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.<br><br>"Dog Breath Variations" - I really find this a very clever little song. It's good on "Uncle Meat" but how good it actually is can be heard on the "Yellow Shark" album.<br><br>"Pygmy Twylyte" - the "Helsinki" version. <br>I actually like the lyrical part better on "Roxy", but the bonus guitar solo on YCDTOSA-II is absolutely stonking.<br><br>"Strictly Genteel" is my favorite FZ classical song. It is one of the most soothing compositions I've ever heard.<br><br>"King Kong" - For me it's Zappa's signature composition. Can't decide which version I like best. I love all of 'em. Possibly the best is the one on "Ahead Of Their Time", but the rendition on "Make a Jazz Noise Here" is probably just as good. And what about Jean-Luc Ponty's version?<br><br>Honorary mentions for another umpteen song, however.