Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:32 am 

No order.<br><br>[glow=blue,2,300]The Orange County Lumber Truck:[/glow]<br><br>Just a beautiful track, but there are subtle hints at dissonance.<br><br>[glow=red,2,300]Mom & Dad:[/glow]<br><br>Christ, the lyrics are simply fantastic. <br><br>[glow=pink,2,300]The Torture Never Stops:[/glow]<br><br>Just a superb, hypnotic epic. I can think of no artist other than Zappa who could've pulled off a song like TTNS.<br><br>[glow=yellow,2,300]Return Of The Son Of The Monster Magnet:[/glow]<br><br>Just mad.<br><br>[glow=orange,2,300]Lumpy Gravy Part 1:[/glow]<br><br>Superb.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:41 pm 

Chunga's Revenge - I can never get enough of this one.  I love both Frank's and Ian's solo, Aynsley's interplay with Frank, and how complimenting the bassline is, yet so simple.<br>Eat That Question - Same reason why I love Chunga's.  The Interplay between all instruments and how does one conceive such a riff and tease us with it!  Too fuckin' brilliant!<br>Holiday In Berlin - What's not to love about this one?  Wonderful melody and whoelse busts guitar solos that sound sooo... Zappa?<br>Dog Breath, In The Year Of Plague - I always felt that this one would've been the best to fit a theme for a television series dedicated to anything Zappa.<br>Montana - No one else will ever write a song about dental floss and maintain such genius!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:33 pm 

Trouble Every Day had nothing to do about psycho-delia whatsoever.  It was exclusively about race relations, and very specifically about the Watts Riots.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:33 am 

Does anyone know if Sparlatacus was kidding?   I mean to each his own, but fuck, that's a weak list!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:51 am 

[quote author=Noah link=board=albums;num=1043616174;start=30#30 date=06/04/05 at 12:33:08]Does anyone know if Sparlatacus was kidding?   I mean to each his own, but fuck, that's a weak list![/quote]<br><br><br>Please let it go, Noah - that's probably one of the very few meaningful posts he ever did. Quite the troll otherwise.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:13 pm 

Just five, eh? Oh, well. Here's my top five.<br><br>"The Orange County Lumber Truck" - a great horn line with some special guitar playing. The concluding solo on the Ahead Of Their Time version is pretty good, too.<br><br>"Florentine Pogen" - Napoleon's second best performance. A song without precedence. <br><br>"Cheepnis" - Napoleon's best performance. Astonishing, breakneck funk-jazz-rock. <br><br>"Fine Girl" - Awesome group lead vocals and a brilliant choral ending. <br><br>"Goblin Girl" - Much the same as "Fine Girl" with a never-ending stack of vocals.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:42 pm 

I know, I remember reading some of his posts last year.  His posts always struck me as deranged.   Heavily deranged.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:33 pm 

Five. <br><br>RDNZL 8.14. Wild. Chainsawish.<br><br>Inca Roads. Majestetic, Anaesthetic, Sympathetic<br><br>Sofa No 2, Strictly Genteel, Sharleena, Cruisin' For Burgers (these songs belong and should be in a 20 min medley or something...)<br><br>Peaches En Regalia (should be longer and have more instruments doin' the refrain thing though)<br><br>Montana. There is life elsewhere on this planet.<br><br><br>5 songs that pop up when you least expect it:<br><br>Let's Make The Water Turn Black. Ultimate 2 min song.<br><br>The Idiot Bastard Son (when I get mad at someone, this song makes me feel better)<br><br>Electric Aunt Jemima (Caress me...)<br><br>Heavenly Bank Account (He´s got presidential help all along the way...)<br><br>Welcome To The United States...Communicable disease...God No! Answer Yes Or no! <br><br><br>PS. Which period (1-2-3 years) resulting in ONE album would have made Zappa World famous and a constant member on the top 10 album lists?<br><br>A. Freak Out - Abs free - In It For The Money?<br><br>B. Uncle Meat - Hot Rats?<br><br>C Overnight..... :)<br><br>D. One Size - Zoot<br><br>E. You Name It<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:56 am 

Too hard, there's so many songs and I have a lot of favorites. These five I've always really liked:<br><br>Sharleena (Lost Episodes version) - Best version in my opinion of a great song. Excellent performances on this. Some killer solos and jams. This version has a great groove to it.<br><br>Watermellon in Easter Hay - One of the all time greatest guitar solos. Uner the right conditions it almost brings a tear to my eyes.<br><br>Doreen - Nice update of the "Crusing with Ruben and the Jets" type vibe. I love how it turns into a rave up at the end and all the overlapping voclas and adlibs. Great singing on this.<br><br>Trouble Every Day - The lyrics to this song still apply today. These days too many people are willing to just take things lying down and have taken on a "Don't make waves" mentality.<br><br>RDZNL - All the complicated changes in tempo, key and mood Zappa was able to fit in such a short piece is incredible.