Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:08 am 

<br>So is Harris, on that album. (I love his falsetto ad-libs, however, in the Tinsel Town Rebellion version of "Love of My Life"...guess he should stick to singing!)<br><br>Never could get behind Thing-Fish. It just puts me in the mood to hear the original versions of the songs on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:52 am 

[font=arial]One of FZ's most bizarre releases to say the least.... I haven't listened to it for probably 8 years..... just couldn't get into it to be honest. Although the stage show version looks interesting !![/font]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:34 am 

<br>Hence the avatar.  ;D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:52 am 

Whats Thingfish about? Is it about Aids? And how the Goverment invented Aids to cull the population of queers? Or how the goverment invented queers to cull the population? I don't know!!!!! i listened to in recently for the second time ever, don't know when i'll be able to listen to it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:01 am 
Banned

magicfingers_ie wrote:
Whats Thingfish about? Is it about Aids? And how the Goverment invented Aids to cull the population of queers?

All that and more. It also addresses stereotypes, the dumbing-down of musical theatre and how everything's much bigger in the long run than it seems now.

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:06 pm 
Banned

Brilliant satire, excellent production, great music, top-notch writing...it's Zappa at his best.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:07 pm 

[quote author=batchain115 link=board=albums;num=1104449561;start=0#11 date=12/31/04 at 14:46:08]...(I wish I had one particular FZ interview nearby in which Frank expressed extreme doubt about "The Official AIDS Story" in an observation no one else anywhere seemed to notice.) ...[/quote]<br><br>[table][tr][td]
Quote:
On a Tonight Show episode, noted scientific authority Joan Rivers declares that AIDS originated with African Green Monkeys and crossed the species barrier to humans.  <br> <br>"Oh, yeah?" Zappa asks. "Who fucked the monkey?" <br> [hr] [hr]<br>q: On Broadway the Hard Way there is one song called Promiscuous. Can you tell the background to that song? <br> <br>fz: Well, at the time we had this guy named Everett Koop who was a surgeon general in the United States and...You know he was one of these people who was telling the US public that the AIDS epidemic started because a native in east Africa was skinning a green monkey and maybe he cut his finger while he was taking the skin off this monkey to eat it and the green monkey had the AIDS virius and that's how it was transmitted to the human population. And somehow this native who cut his finger skinning the green monkey manage to transmitt this to 700 hundred people who died all at the same time in New York in November.  <br> <br>I mean, it just doesn't make sense okey. There's never been a situation other than legionnaires' disease where large number of people die all at the same time in certain locations. It doesn't rise the question of biological warfare. And the Unites States government has in the past conducted biological warfare experiments on civilian population.
[/td][/tr][/table]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:49 am 

[quote author=Tipper Gore link=board=albums;num=1104449561;start=15#22 date=01/02/05 at 07:05:21]<br>Good production? All I hear is an annoying voice going on and on over old songs which are all mixed to the background.<br>It's my least fav.<br>[/quote]<br>Yeah, I think the production is pretty bad.  I think Frank was going for a Broadway-sounding album by mixing it with the music way in the background with the voices on top, but I think it produces a case of the concept taking more importance than actual quality.  However, I don't really care for the sound of any of his rock albums from the mid-80's.  Too cold and digital for me.  There's no warmth or depth to the sound.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:12 am 

it's the best showcase of ike's vocals, it gives frank a shot at recapping a few albums after putting a new one out every 3 months for 3 or 4 years & the alternate versions of the zoot & yawyi tracks have great lyrics & give the original songs more depth<br><br>the sound/production is equal to or better than the other albums from those years, especially a dog like ttr [based on the thing-fish vinyl & the emi cd]<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:41 am 

Thingfish is a good album. I bought it on cassette when it was first released. I still laugh every time I listen to it.<br><br>Don't take it so seriously, and enjoy it for the farce it is supposed to be.<br><br>And easy on the Galoot Cologna!<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:06 pm 

Oh well,I've gotta say that I felt this was one of the worst .<br><br>I felt totally cheated by the "re-using" of old music tracks(when I bought it in the 1980's),and the "homophobic" story line seemed a bit more forced too.  It's just me ,but I felt it tried too hard to be sick just for sickness's sake.<br><br>It coulda been one LP. Plus it seemed to be scrabbled together in a hurry.   I could forgive all this if it had new music over all.<br><br>At the time it seemed a long wait for such a "re-hash" of an album...and an expensive one too!<br><br>I do dig the "Crabgrass Baby" though!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:14 pm 

I bought Thing fish as a box set when it came out. Always enjoyed it. <br><br>IMO it's a perfect piece of conceptual continuety. You can hear the melody to Amnerika throughout the whole thing. Was this a set up for CP III or what ??<br><br>The evil prince piece is an incredible composition. Frank does it again, hiding his talent as a musical genius behind simple words that everyone can either like or dislike. Music is the best !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:20 pm 

Ive always enjoyed Thing Fish. Ok, it doesnt get an airing too often, but then neither do any of FZs more "epic" works, cos if you listen to em all the time you dont enjoy them as much, in my opinion. I also bought TF before YAWYI, SATLTSADW and Tinseltown, so the TF versions of the songs featured on those records were the first ones I heard, and I think that adds to my liking of the record..........

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:18 am 

One of Zappa's funny'est album's..... EVER ;D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:12 pm 
Banned

madcow1515 wrote:
I don't really care for the sound of any of his rock albums from the mid-80's.  Too cold and digital for me.  There's no warmth or depth to the sound.

Nonsense. Frank's 80's-era albums sound fantastic....

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.