Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: I like thing-fish
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:21 am 

[quote author=Lumpy Gravy link=board=albums;num=1104449561;start=30#30 date=01/06/05 at 05:16:45]<br><br>I heard Thing-Fish before the albums you mention, too. And, I think you're right. Not having heard the 'basic' tracks before, gave us another listening experience. Without prejudice, I guess.<br>Still like the album a lot, even though I don't listen to it so often, either. When I do play it, I like to listen to the whole thing, straight through.[/quote]<br>I tend to listen to the whole thing right thru too....Im funny like that - If I get into an album, I get into the WHOLE thing. Im not one for cutting tracks.........

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:09 pm 

I totally agree about Dale, she does a horrible Brookly accent or something. <br><br>But Terry is pretty good- " a real homo bath house"<br><br>It's afunny album with a bunch of tracks from You are what you Is. <br><br>Get that lp first. One of the greats. <br><br>-Charlies Enormous Mouth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:14 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:34 am 

Quote:
I FINALLY got Thing-Fish today
<br><br>And it's shit.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:39 am 

How can you say that you don't like it because it uses mostly old songs?  So does You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore and most of his live albums!  It's not like he just took a track and shoved it in there ; for the most part he re-did the lyrics even.<br><br>I for one think it is a wonderful album.<br><br>The story really doesn't have much to do with AIDS, that just explains how the Thing-Fish and Mammy Nuns were created.  <br><br>Harry and Rhonda portray your everyday local citizens.  They go to the show and as soon as they realize it isn't the exact same as every other show, they decide they don't like it.  Think of it in a religious sense too.  Harry and Rhonda are human forms of Christianity, with the Mammy Nuns portraying the "wrong" religion.  Harry then does something drastic ; he falls in love with a Mammy Nun!  Suddenly Rhonda does all she can to get his attention (fucking a breifcase).  It (almost) perfectly parallels regular missonaries ; the other people are of a different religion, so the Christians do all they can to take them to their side.<br><br>The entire album is full of great symbology, really, and that is the main thing that holds my interest.  Don't think of the storyline as a puppet falling in love with a sex toy and making a robot ; try linking each one to a part of life and just have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:28 pm 
Banned

Twuntgasm wrote:
Quote:
I FINALLY got Thing-Fish today

And it's shit.

I think you misspelled "excellent," twat.... :roll:

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:53 pm 

I am not liking this release for several important reasons - <br><br>1. Recycling. It is fine for cans and papers!<br><br>2. Joke wearing thin. OK ignorant black person talk funny mostly always, but nNOT NOW, NO.<br><br>3. where is cal shenckel?<br><br>4. 2cds for the price of 2. should be discount for fleaks!<br><br>5. see#7<br><br>6. see#5<br><br>7. see#6<br><br>Arigato Katamari Damacy - I roll up the planet of my dreams!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:02 pm 
Banned

Lay of the bong, Chewbacca... :roll:

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:12 pm 

[quote author=Isaac link=board=albums;num=1104449561;start=30#38 date=05/28/05 at 20:02:31]<br><br>Uh...what? ::)[/quote]<br><br>I speak loiuder but can you hear it?<br><br>Only my 2 day here and homo gives trouble!<br><br>is this trouble every day begins?<br><br>You must think ren and stimpy great too, jerking off poofter!<br>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:32 pm 
Banned

Jappa wrote:
You must think ren and stimpy great too, jerking off poofter!

FZ did. He guest-starred as the Pope in the episode "Powdered Toast Man." I guess that must mean that he was a "jerking off poofter," too.... :roll:

Moron.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:21 pm 

[table][tr][td][font=arial black]the sci-fi protocols of thing-fish [/font][/td][td]m. prince
Quote:
while some parts of joe's garage are annoyingly sophomoric, as far as plot goes, the 1984 album thing-fish is far and away zappa's most complex and ¿ piece ever... <br><br>in spite of the accusation that the 'idea that inspires it has far more potential for controversy that the tawdry little drama that follows' (slaven), this piece is rich, functioning on the level of dialect, multi-intertextual references, and even second person dialectical formulations; <br><br>using one ... criteria for the post-modern aesthetic (the parallax of discourses), thing-fish is the most post-modern of any of zappa's plotted works....
[/td][/tr][/table]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:13 am 

Just listen to Briefcase Boogie and tell me it's not worth the price of the cd!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:46 pm 

[Paraphrased]<br><br>[quote author=blacktropic84 link=board=albums;num=1104449561;start=30#35 date=05/28/05 at 13:39:32]Most of Frank Zappa's live albums reuse old songs, so it's fine for Thing Fish to do so.[/quote]<br><br>[glow=red,2,300]Wrong.[/glow]<br><br>News Flash (Yes, it's a flash, with news involved):<br><br>Live albums are meant to be workouts of old material. Live albums are usually released so people can get a taste of a particular artist's live show - of course golden oldies are going to get an airing. <br><br>I have no problem with older songs being reused - I have a problem with older songs being ruined, as is the case with Thing Fish.<br><br>[quote author=blacktropic84 link=board=albums;num=1104449561;start=30#35 date=05/28/05 at 13:39:32]<br>It's not like he just took a track and shoved it in there.<br>[/quote]<br><br>No, he didn't do that. He took older tracks, expunged his vocal work, and slapped the uber-annoying Ike Willis all over them. <br><br>[quote author=blacktropic84 link=board=albums;num=1104449561;start=30#35 date=05/28/05 at 13:39:32]<br>Harry and Rhonda portray your everyday local citizens.[/quote]<br><br>As if.  <br><br>[quote author=blacktropic84 link=board=albums;num=1104449561;start=30#35 date=05/28/05 at 13:39:32]<br>Try linking each one to a part of life[/quote]<br><br>You must have a pretty odd life if you can truly relate to Thing Fish.<br><br>[quote author=blacktropic84 link=board=albums;num=1104449561;start=30#35 date=05/28/05 at 13:39:32]<br>Just have fun! <br>[/quote]<br><br>It's impossible to have fun in conjunction with Thing Fish.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:48 pm 

[quote author=Noah link=board=albums;num=1104449561;start=45#45 date=06/01/05 at 13:13:43]Just listen to Briefcase Boogie and tell me it's not worth the price of the cd!!!![/quote]<br><br>I just did, and it's certainly not worth the £10 I paid for Thing Fish. In fact, Thing Fish isn't even worth £10.<br><br>Example of a track that is worth the asking price of an album alone:<br><br>The Torture Never Stops<br><br>Example of a track that isn't worh the asking price of an album alone:<br><br>The Torchum Never Stops

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:36 pm 

To sum up: Some people like it. Some don't. Whose opinion is going to be changed?<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:48 pm 

I do it all the time.<br>Ain't this boogie a mess!!!!!!!!<br><br>[sup]the mammy bieeeiiiites...[/sup]<br>[sub]the mammy be chewin' it on down now[/sub]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:31 pm 

UPDATE: Since I started this topic, I really haven't listened to it much....<br><br>I DON'T HATE IT! It's what we americans call MIDDLE of the ROAD MATERIAL....