Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:40 am 

vince_de_wild wrote:
Haven't heard Frank speak in so long, I forgot what big, bundle of contradictions he is: one interveiw he not only says the record sells, but says "Lovely Rita"'s a rip-off! Then, in the 80's, he says the album tanked, and no one was influenced by it. Beefheart said it best: "What a card!"
No, he just referred to the breathing and various vocal noises "Lovely Rita" is extended to end with which might have been coincidental or might have been an idea one of the Beatles got from listening to "Freak Out!" If he said it influenced nobody it is far more likely that he meant it had no musical influence on anyone. The Beatles always threw in bits of odd things in the studio that were sometimes even pretty clever.
But I do remember the Beefheart quote and,"What a card!" isn't an insult at all, in fact, it's usually just a fond way of saying something like, "What an oddball!" or "He's a strange one!", or "Aw, he's a good shit!", but it's never been an insult. Beefheart clearly didn't mean, "That shithead!" or "What an asshole!", and likely had a smile on his face when he said it.
It's just a colloquial expression I've heard used only by people mostly 20 or usually more years older than myself, so by now it's mainly forgotten.

--Batchain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:02 am 

I had abslolutely no trouble removing the discs.
Just put your left hand thumb in the center and your index finger on the
top-left slot. Then your right index finger on the top-right slot,
and lift slightly and then just turn the disc slightly from side to side, about half an inch or so... Pops out easy.

Dont blame me if you fuck up though..... :wink:

IB :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:50 am 

Idiot Bastardson wrote:
and lift slightly and then just turn the disc slightly from side to side, about half an inch or so... Pops out easy.

yeah, that's how I've been doing it this last week since my MOFO arrived.
I only had a bit of trouble that first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:11 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
then just turn the disc slightly from side to side

Yeah I did this for Disc one, but I found out that it creates some circular grooves on the other side of the cd, even with the tiniest movements. (thankfully the cd's still playable).
For the three remaining discs I sliped my smallest finger under the cd, got it close tho the center and slowly pushed the whole thing up. It worked, but those cds arn't going back into the packaging.

I've been thru Disc 1, and it's been a very enjoyable hearing. I for one always wanted to hear the original mix, and I'm very happy to find it here. (not to mention that this prevents old Ryko cd from being useless - it holds the FZ/Bob Stone remix of 87).

Which leads to one question:

I haven't listen to Disc 4 yet, but aren't tracks 15 to 17 the same versions as in the Ryko cd edition of "Freak out !" ? ("1987 mixes by FZ and Bob Stone"). If not, what are the differences ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:31 am 

[quote="Batchain1001But I do remember the Beefheart quote and,"What a card!" isn't an insult at all, in fact, it's usually just a fond way of saying something like, "What an oddball!" or "He's a strange one!", or "Aw, he's a good shit!", but it's never been an insult. --Batchain[/quote]

"What a card" = clever, crafty, pranksterish, sharp. It's a compliment, a term of affection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:16 pm 

Zongadude wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Yeah I did this for Disc one, but I found out that it creates some circular grooves on the other side of the cd, even with the tiniest movements. (thankfully the cd's still playable).
For the three remaining discs I sliped my smallest finger under the cd, got it close tho the center and slowly pushed the whole thing up. It worked, but those cds arn't going back into the packaging.

How you managed to scratch the CD by doing that I cant understand...unless you pressed the CD into the tray.
If you dont push the CD down, it wont tuch the bottom of the tray.
On the other hand, a finger on the playing surface...well, I wouldnt risk it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:55 pm 

Zongadude wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:

a bit of mixed-up quote there. but, IB has already replied, so it doesn't matter. but he was the one saying it first. I just agreed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:55 pm 

Idiot Bastardson wrote:

I kept doing this with my discs 'til I felt like I was a fool. You got a nice package,it let you take out your discs.

After screwing the things back and forth as I applied pressure,only one of 'em came out. I then got out some nice blunt nosed plyers,and gently pinched that package's CD holding "nipples". The discs came right out! I will never put 'em back in though! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:36 pm 

WHO SAID NIPPLES!!!1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:00 pm 

Idiot Bastardson wrote:

How you managed to scratch the CD by doing that I cant understand...unless you pressed the CD into the tray.
If you dont push the CD down, it wont tuch the bottom of the tray.

Well if you look at the empty MOFO, you will notice a ring coming out of the tray around the center, I guess that's what caused the scratch. But I'm not saying I didn't fuck up when I performed the operation.... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:27 pm 

Zongadude wrote:

I haven't listen to Disc 4 yet, but aren't tracks 15 to 17 the same versions as in the Ryko cd edition of "Freak out !" ? ("1987 mixes by FZ and Bob Stone"). If not, what are the differences ?

Well, in short:

a) Anyway the Wind Blows isn't remixed on the 1987 CD, so this version is otherwise released.

b) Hungry Freaks and Brain Police *are* remixed on the 1987 CD, and these versions are VERY close. At least "Brain Police" has noticably more reverb here, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:00 am 

Xenu wrote:
a) Anyway the Wind Blows isn't remixed on the 1987 CD, so this version is otherwise released.

b) Hungry Freaks and Brain Police *are* remixed on the 1987 CD, and these versions are VERY close. At least "Brain Police" has noticably more reverb here, though.

Thanks a lot for your answer. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:11 am 

As for the " 'Lovely Rita' rip-off of 'Freak Out!' ", I think of it more as a coincidence. It was not the first time FZ and The Beatles had similar studio ideas. For example, "Who are the brain police?" and "Paperback writer" both use the trick of finishing a vocal phrase with very heavy and repetitive echo effects. And if 'Paperback writer' hasn't been released just one month before 'Freak out!', one could think that FZ ripped-off the Beatles on that tune. While in fact the two songs were approximately recorded/produced at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:13 am 

If you don't think that The Beatles were ripping off Freak Out on ALOT of Sgt. Pepper's you are sadly mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:10 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
If you don't think that The Beatles were ripping off Freak Out on ALOT of Sgt. Pepper's you are sadly mistaken.

You're an idiot. I'm guessing since you're on this thread, you might know about Zappa. Now... you just need to learn about the Beatles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:13 pm 

zappas crotch wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

You're an idiot. I'm guessing since you're on this thread, you might know about Zappa. Now... you just need to learn about the Beatles.

The Beatles are the most overrated, boring piece of shit band that there ever was. What more is there to know? Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:15 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
zappas crotch wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

The Beatles are the most overrated, boring piece of shit band that there ever was. What more is there to know? Image

I actually kinda agree with that sentiment, I think they are a bit overrated and they don't really do it for me that much either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:32 pm 

without getting into (another) debate whether the Beatles are overrated or not, Zappa did have a strong influence on the Beatles. Paul McCartney is quoted in the biography Blackbird saying that Freak Out was "the first pop album that wasn't just a collection of singles" and that it was an influence on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:24 pm 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
I actually kinda agree with that sentiment, I think they are a bit overrated and they don't really do it for me that much either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:25 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

LMFAO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:02 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:35 am 

timm0 wrote:
WHO SAID NIPPLES!!!

--Bat :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:55 am 

hmmmm that better not be yours :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:52 am 

I would like to thank GZ, Joe, and the ZFT for releasing this fine scope of work. It is nice to hear the workups, outtakes and interviews surrounding the legendary Freak Out album.

Great material, both in mini-MOFO and full-MOFO. Thanks again!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:29 am 

timm0 wrote:
hmmmm that better not be yours :!:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!:
(Lookit what just pumped up your sanctified erection! :idea: )

--Bat :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next