Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 2394
Location: Just N. of Boston, MA, USA
vince_de_wild wrote:
Haven't heard Frank speak in so long, I forgot what big, bundle of contradictions he is: one interveiw he not only says the record sells, but says "Lovely Rita"'s a rip-off! Then, in the 80's, he says the album tanked, and no one was influenced by it. Beefheart said it best: "What a card!"
No, he just referred to the breathing and various vocal noises "Lovely Rita" is extended to end with which might have been coincidental or might have been an idea one of the Beatles got from listening to "Freak Out!" If he said it influenced nobody it is far more likely that he meant it had no musical influence on anyone. The Beatles always threw in bits of odd things in the studio that were sometimes even pretty clever.
But I do remember the Beefheart quote and,"What a card!" isn't an insult at all, in fact, it's usually just a fond way of saying something like, "What an oddball!" or "He's a strange one!", or "Aw, he's a good shit!", but it's never been an insult. Beefheart clearly didn't mean, "That shithead!" or "What an asshole!", and likely had a smile on his face when he said it.
It's just a colloquial expression I've heard used only by people mostly 20 or usually more years older than myself, so by now it's mainly forgotten.

--Batchain

_________________
Image<------PhotoArtWerk by debutante_daisy http://www.facebook.com/BatchainTheMovie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:21 pm
Posts: 669
Location: Norway
I had abslolutely no trouble removing the discs.
Just put your left hand thumb in the center and your index finger on the
top-left slot. Then your right index finger on the top-right slot,
and lift slightly and then just turn the disc slightly from side to side, about half an inch or so... Pops out easy.

Dont blame me if you fuck up though..... :wink:


IB :mrgreen:

_________________
All the time he would spend...all the colors he'd blend...
Where are they now?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 6881
Location: exile
Idiot Bastardson wrote:
I had abslolutely no trouble removing the discs.
Just put your left hand thumb in the center and your index finger on the
top-left slot. Then your right index finger on the top-right slot,
and lift slightly and then just turn the disc slightly from side to side, about half an inch or so... Pops out easy.

Dont blame me if you fuck up though..... :wink:

IB :mrgreen:


yeah, that's how I've been doing it this last week since my MOFO arrived.
I only had a bit of trouble that first time.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:11 pm
Posts: 67
Location: France
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
then just turn the disc slightly from side to side


Yeah I did this for Disc one, but I found out that it creates some circular grooves on the other side of the cd, even with the tiniest movements. (thankfully the cd's still playable).
For the three remaining discs I sliped my smallest finger under the cd, got it close tho the center and slowly pushed the whole thing up. It worked, but those cds arn't going back into the packaging.

I've been thru Disc 1, and it's been a very enjoyable hearing. I for one always wanted to hear the original mix, and I'm very happy to find it here. (not to mention that this prevents old Ryko cd from being useless - it holds the FZ/Bob Stone remix of 87).

Which leads to one question:

I haven't listen to Disc 4 yet, but aren't tracks 15 to 17 the same versions as in the Ryko cd edition of "Freak out !" ? ("1987 mixes by FZ and Bob Stone"). If not, what are the differences ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3466
[quote="Batchain1001But I do remember the Beefheart quote and,"What a card!" isn't an insult at all, in fact, it's usually just a fond way of saying something like, "What an oddball!" or "He's a strange one!", or "Aw, he's a good shit!", but it's never been an insult. --Batchain[/quote]

"What a card" = clever, crafty, pranksterish, sharp. It's a compliment, a term of affection.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:21 pm
Posts: 669
Location: Norway
Zongadude wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
then just turn the disc slightly from side to side


Yeah I did this for Disc one, but I found out that it creates some circular grooves on the other side of the cd, even with the tiniest movements. (thankfully the cd's still playable).
For the three remaining discs I sliped my smallest finger under the cd, got it close tho the center and slowly pushed the whole thing up. It worked, but those cds arn't going back into the packaging.



How you managed to scratch the CD by doing that I cant understand...unless you pressed the CD into the tray.
If you dont push the CD down, it wont tuch the bottom of the tray.
On the other hand, a finger on the playing surface...well, I wouldnt risk it.


IB :mrgreen:

_________________
All the time he would spend...all the colors he'd blend...
Where are they now?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 6881
Location: exile
Zongadude wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
then just turn the disc slightly from side to side


a bit of mixed-up quote there. but, IB has already replied, so it doesn't matter. but he was the one saying it first. I just agreed with him.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:20 pm
Posts: 599
Idiot Bastardson wrote:
I had abslolutely no trouble removing the discs.
Just put your left hand thumb in the center and your index finger on the
top-left slot. Then your right index finger on the top-right slot,
and lift slightly and then just turn the disc slightly from side to side, about half an inch or so... Pops out easy.

Dont blame me if you fuck up though..... :wink:


IB :mrgreen:


I kept doing this with my discs 'til I felt like I was a fool. You got a nice package,it let you take out your discs.

After screwing the things back and forth as I applied pressure,only one of 'em came out. I then got out some nice blunt nosed plyers,and gently pinched that package's CD holding "nipples". The discs came right out! I will never put 'em back in though! :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:13 am
Posts: 2271
Location: englandia
WHO SAID NIPPLES!!!1

_________________
''minimart - it's basically a scaled-down supermarket, fits inside a petrol station. sells pies, antifreeze..''


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:11 pm
Posts: 67
Location: France
Idiot Bastardson wrote:

How you managed to scratch the CD by doing that I cant understand...unless you pressed the CD into the tray.
If you dont push the CD down, it wont tuch the bottom of the tray.


Well if you look at the empty MOFO, you will notice a ring coming out of the tray around the center, I guess that's what caused the scratch. But I'm not saying I didn't fuck up when I performed the operation.... 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:51 am
Posts: 23
Zongadude wrote:

I haven't listen to Disc 4 yet, but aren't tracks 15 to 17 the same versions as in the Ryko cd edition of "Freak out !" ? ("1987 mixes by FZ and Bob Stone"). If not, what are the differences ?


Well, in short:


a) Anyway the Wind Blows isn't remixed on the 1987 CD, so this version is otherwise released.

b) Hungry Freaks and Brain Police *are* remixed on the 1987 CD, and these versions are VERY close. At least "Brain Police" has noticably more reverb here, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:11 pm
Posts: 67
Location: France
Xenu wrote:
a) Anyway the Wind Blows isn't remixed on the 1987 CD, so this version is otherwise released.

b) Hungry Freaks and Brain Police *are* remixed on the 1987 CD, and these versions are VERY close. At least "Brain Police" has noticably more reverb here, though.


Thanks a lot for your answer. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:11 pm
Posts: 67
Location: France
As for the " 'Lovely Rita' rip-off of 'Freak Out!' ", I think of it more as a coincidence. It was not the first time FZ and The Beatles had similar studio ideas. For example, "Who are the brain police?" and "Paperback writer" both use the trick of finishing a vocal phrase with very heavy and repetitive echo effects. And if 'Paperback writer' hasn't been released just one month before 'Freak out!', one could think that FZ ripped-off the Beatles on that tune. While in fact the two songs were approximately recorded/produced at the same time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6181
Location: Your Mom's Box
If you don't think that The Beatles were ripping off Freak Out on ALOT of Sgt. Pepper's you are sadly mistaken.

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:07 pm
Posts: 11
jaypfunk wrote:
If you don't think that The Beatles were ripping off Freak Out on ALOT of Sgt. Pepper's you are sadly mistaken.



You're an idiot. I'm guessing since you're on this thread, you might know about Zappa. Now... you just need to learn about the Beatles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6181
Location: Your Mom's Box
zappas crotch wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
If you don't think that The Beatles were ripping off Freak Out on ALOT of Sgt. Pepper's you are sadly mistaken.



You're an idiot. I'm guessing since you're on this thread, you might know about Zappa. Now... you just need to learn about the Beatles.

The Beatles are the most overrated, boring piece of shit band that there ever was. What more is there to know? Image

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:54 am
Posts: 4295
Location: En-Ger-Land
jaypfunk wrote:
zappas crotch wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
If you don't think that The Beatles were ripping off Freak Out on ALOT of Sgt. Pepper's you are sadly mistaken.



You're an idiot. I'm guessing since you're on this thread, you might know about Zappa. Now... you just need to learn about the Beatles.

The Beatles are the most overrated, boring piece of shit band that there ever was. What more is there to know? Image


I actually kinda agree with that sentiment, I think they are a bit overrated and they don't really do it for me that much either.

_________________
"Listen to that noise! It's like Barry White eating wasps."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 6881
Location: exile
without getting into (another) debate whether the Beatles are overrated or not, Zappa did have a strong influence on the Beatles. Paul McCartney is quoted in the biography Blackbird saying that Freak Out was "the first pop album that wasn't just a collection of singles" and that it was an influence on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6181
Location: Your Mom's Box
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
I actually kinda agree with that sentiment, I think they are a bit overrated and they don't really do it for me that much either.


Image

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:03 am
Posts: 1416
Location: Washington State, USA
jaypfunk wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
I actually kinda agree with that sentiment, I think they are a bit overrated and they don't really do it for me that much either.


Image

LMFAO

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9520
jaypfunk wrote:
If you don't think that The Beatles were ripping off Freak Out on ALOT of Sgt. Pepper's you are sadly mistaken.


Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 2394
Location: Just N. of Boston, MA, USA
timm0 wrote:
WHO SAID NIPPLES!!!
Image

--Bat :mrgreen:

_________________
Image<------PhotoArtWerk by debutante_daisy http://www.facebook.com/BatchainTheMovie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:13 am
Posts: 2271
Location: englandia
hmmmm that better not be yours :!:

_________________
''minimart - it's basically a scaled-down supermarket, fits inside a petrol station. sells pies, antifreeze..''


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:35 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
I would like to thank GZ, Joe, and the ZFT for releasing this fine scope of work. It is nice to hear the workups, outtakes and interviews surrounding the legendary Freak Out album.

Great material, both in mini-MOFO and full-MOFO. Thanks again!!!

_________________
There ain't nothin' left to talk about


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 2394
Location: Just N. of Boston, MA, USA
timm0 wrote:
hmmmm that better not be yours :!:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!:
(Lookit what just pumped up your sanctified erection! :idea: )

--Bat :lol:

_________________
Image<------PhotoArtWerk by debutante_daisy http://www.facebook.com/BatchainTheMovie


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group