Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 59  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:16 pm 

Son Of Willie The Pimp wrote:
Come to think of it, if the dates of the appeareance of those re-releases mirror the original dates, it's a manageable deal... 8)

Sorry for my misunderstanding earlier but it appears as though the re-release Ryko aside was bogus. So you don't have to worry about re-purchasing them all. Per having to buy the original catalog before purchasing this one, yes - buy them all - what are you waiting for? :wink:

Per Jaypfunk calling me stupid - I know.... I feel stupid passing on this too. I'm going to hold out until 8/22 knowing that it won't hurt me to do so and that I still have an "out" if we find out more info. and it smells more lame as time goes on. I'm already thinking it's going to be 4 CD's of the engineer from the session talking about how weird it was to see freaks banging on bongos at 3 in the morning. I'd love to find out that there is a 40-minute Monster Magnet on there but I have a bad feeling it's just interview dialog..... :(

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:23 pm 

I'm in !!

I pre-ordered and will be watchin & a waiting, hoping for the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:05 pm 

Quote:
Four Disc Commemoration of the making of Freak Out! And it could appear in your mailbox first (if you're on the List)

What scares me about this is the Commemoration of the making of.
Sounds like a lot of talking and not as much music.
I am going to pre-order because I'd kick myself if it ends up being
the complete sessions.
But it feels like we may be kicking ourselves anyway. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:22 pm 

My guess: It'll be both modern interviews and original outtakes, demos, etc. Unless it is the complete sessions (and why not release them?), there'll probably be plenty of filler spread over the four discs. But you gotta figure they'll throw in at least one totally amazing piece of audio that's not on the two-disc set, to make the expenditure at least somewhat worthwhile.

Anyway, that's my reason for preordering...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 pm 

It'll probably be four 30 minute CDs of Corsaga-esque material. My guess is as follows:

CD 1: Gail talks in mysterious and ambiguous terms for 30 minutes about the project.

CD 2: 30 minute excerpt from a hidden tape recording of Frank mixing the music. Sound quality is bad. You can kinda hear people talking in the background and requesting that their instruments be higher in the mix. The liner notes brag about what a great treat this material is.

CD 3: 30 minutes of alternate takes of Freak Out tracks. However, most of the 30 minutes is taken up by the band tuning before tracks and false starts. AAFNRAA!

CD 4: A 30 minute mystery advertisement for a future Zappa release. Listeners are required to fork up a shit-load of money in a limited period of time without any info regarding the contents of the CD. Who'd think?

Ok, seriously, I'm getting this and I'm sure it will have some cool stuff that will make it worthwhile. I just hope I feel the need to listen to it more than one time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:42 pm 

Jeff wrote:
CD 1: Gail talks in mysterious and ambiguous terms for 30 minutes about the project.

CD 2: 30 minute excerpt from a hidden tape recording of Frank mixing the music. Sound quality is bad. You can kinda hear people talking in the background and requesting that their instruments be higher in the mix. The liner notes brag about what a great treat this material is.

CD 3: 30 minutes of alternate takes of Freak Out tracks. However, most of the 30 minutes is taken up by the band tuning before tracks and false starts. AAFNRAA!

CD 4: A 30 minute mystery advertisement for a future Zappa release. Listeners are required to fork up a shit-load of money in a limited period of time without any info regarding the contents of the CD. Who'd think?

Ha - that is hilarious! And just because I am worried about something like this (ref: Joe's Domage & Joe's XMasage) - I'm actually gonna hold off until 8/22 in hopes that SOMEONE will have a better idea what to expect here..... :|

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:12 pm 

Psst. Where's Roxy?

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:01 pm 

if its 70 bucks it better come with nice, and i do mean NICE packaging. if the content sucks I should at least be able to display the beuatiful box on my shelf next to the AMAZING residents packaging. every artist should take a page out of their book. If its a bog jewel case like lather i will, i repeat i will be angry like a little kid with no candy. ARGH!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:23 am 

My guess is:

- original mono version (1cd)
- original stereo version (1 cd)
- the Exceptional Two Disc FZ AudioDocumentary

During the 4FM documentaries in july they played the mono version (which sounds much better then the stereo one mixed by FZ for cd) one side a broadcast and there were interviews with Pamela Zarubica, Roy Estrada, JC Black, Carl Franzoni & others. Maybe we can expect something like that? It was a Co de Kloet production, a guy who is still in contact with the FZ family.

The ad says:

*Yes, it's true. There is the Exceptional Two Disc FZ AudioDocumentary Commemorating the making of Freak Out! that will be in the stores and here at Barfko-Swill. Simultaneously. Not available for pre-order. (Official Announcement coming soon.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:27 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
And to pre-order it, I must know a little better what it is exaclty. I mean, is not like I am not going to buy it, but the question is when...

Well unless they give a track listing, sound clips, or SOMETHING more on this one - I will not be pre-ordering this at all.... and if that means losing the chance to purchase it, so be it. I have a bad feeling that Disc 1 & 2 = the album split up "in its original format" and Discs 3 & 4 will be audio interviews with people that worked on it. Sorry - that doesn't justify $70 pre-shipping charges for me :cry:

Any way that we can get more info ZFT :?

I don't visit these forums often but came here looking to find answers to these exact questions. You totally nailed it for me, man. As much as I want it, and I have happily purchased every product ZFT has offered since Frank's death, I'm not going to accept knowing absolutely nothing about it.

Post subject: Surround CPIII
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:31 am 

gnits_wreck wrote:
I appreciate the efforts of Dweezil and Joe with regards to the CDs that they have produced of FZ material. However, speaking as a fan since `77, I don't find the posthumous releases that they've released to be as satisfying as the ones produced by FZ himself. Perhaps that's stating the obvious but I'll probably pass on this one. Still waiting for "Trancefusion" but like most others I'm not holding my breath. :wink:

While I have not weighed my satisfaction of posthumous vs. non-posthumous, I must say that I fucking love Joe's Corsage, and am also completely delighted to have some FZ in surround to play on my getup.

And as much as I want Trancefusion and the Varese disc and Roxy DVD and such, to me the Holy Grail missing release is the six channel version of CPIII.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:38 am 

brainpang wrote:
Don't Ryko "own" Freak Out? Therefore, 4 discs of rehearsals, outtakes and, no doubt, talking. Y'know, the stuff the Zappa Trust refused to turn over to Ryko so as to promote the catalog...and bankrupt the company....

That's what I'm afraid of more rehearsals. I prefer not to waste my time, I wish they'ld do some samplers got burned on at least two of the last releases. Problem is, more than likely I'll be a sucker once again an pre-order. Craving more new material is a bummer when you don't have a clue to context. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:22 am 

If I only had some tracklist details, I'd have pre-ordered this little sucker the day before yesterday... :P :?

I repeat: I won't place a pre-order for a 70$ plus p&p box while not having the faintest clue about what's on it!!

I repeat: I won't place a pre-order for a 70$ plus p&p box while not having the faintest clue about what's on it!!

I repeat: I won't place a pre-order for a 70$ plus p&p box while not having any clue about what's on it!!

Visit John Zorn's site, who does so much better!

best,
buffalo voice better known as winos do not march

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:25 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:

D-I-T-T-O!!!

Which just gave me an idea - what if we organized an offensive strategy by each calling Barfko demanding a web update with more details for the package to encourage higher pre-orders...... Any takers?

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:24 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
what if we organized an offensive strategy by each calling Barfko demanding a web update with more details for the package to encourage higher pre-orders...... Any takers?

I assume the limited amount of information in the promotion was intended to be order-maximizing. The put-your-name-on-the-package gimick is enough information for me. I'll wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:27 am 

White_Ugliness wrote:
I assume the limited amount of information in the promotion was intended to be order-maximizing.

Sounds like a terrible marketing strategy. That's like showing a movie trailer that just shows one image - l-a-m-e. Nope, I'm gonna stick to my guns (despite jaypfunk's urgings 8) ) and hold out on purchase until I find out more. :|

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:31 am 

I'm in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:36 am 

Me too. For what it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:40 am 

I'm taking a wait and see approach, but I'm only going to wait for so long before I do order it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:41 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Sounds like a terrible marketing strategy.

It would be a terrible marketing strategy for a product that would sell itself. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:42 am 

I'm still on the fence.. too much other good music out there to buy this without knowing what it 'll be. Joe's Domage and X-Masage have made me doubt whether I really, really need to have every Zappa album available. I hardly ever listen to those.

Enough with all the yapping and documentary stuff in abysmal sound quality... just give me more music, live concerts, etc. MUSIC is the best. I loved Imaginary Diseases, just give us more cds like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:54 am 

Studebaker wrote:
Joe's Domage and X-Masage have made me doubt whether I really, really need to have every Zappa album available. I hardly ever listen to those. ... I loved Imaginary Diseases, just give us more cds like that.

AMEN..... How many of you pop in Domage or X-Masage in your standard rotation? Imaginary Diseases and Quadiophiliac are more than welcome.... They should put an online poll up here to vote for your favorite post-humous release.... just to see how high Domage and X-Masage rank.... People stand up for those albums but I'd be shocked to find that they rank those albums higher than ID, Quad, or Corsaga.....

or what about the release of Joe's Mirage (aka Roxy DVD .... hehehe) :twisted:

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:30 am 

In case you won’t find sufficient information on the web, dream up your own ardwerg ! : :wink:

best,
buffalo aka winos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:10 am 

Studebaker wrote:
MUSIC is the best. I loved Imaginary Diseases, just give us more cds like that.

Indeed. I agree 100%, ID is never too far from my rotation. I love that CD.
Though a complete show from PW would be much better, methinks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:11 am 

Do you really all think that the Family would just re-issue the album as one of the CDs in the box? I mean the MONO version maybe,....'though I don't remember that much of a difference in the mix on my LP.

Man!

It does seem as though this is just mail-order only on the 4 disc set and the 2 disc set will be for the "general Freaks 'n' Mutations" out there.

I have only had one CD that I've complained about in the new series of Domage/Damage/Garage stuff,and that was the Petite Wazoo lo-fi talk and no finished music set. But do you all think that there wasn't a full version of the "free form" jams that made "...Monster Magnet",or maybe more studio-experimental fuckery that Verve wouldn't allow onto the LP?Also wasn't this the LP that started with certain band members and ended with some of 'em ejected for "drug use",....so maybe there's some alternate versions with weirdos like Kim Fowley doing crazed stuff?

Yeah,it's a lot of cash,...but if it funds more stuff coming out AND is official then it's worth it to me. Hell,some of you would shell that much out for a copy of the "History and Collected Improvisations" bootleg boxed set,or the "Apocrypha(sp?)" boot set,...and those aren't guarenteed to sound good OR be worthy of your attention.

Oh yes,....I'd love if some of this money went to the making of a release of some of Frank's final albums too. But begging and pleading with Gail is no use,.....and this is what they are offering(and it's not looking unworthy of purchase to me). So,I'll be glad to hear some giant helping of FREAK OUT out-takes and (who knows)live stuff from the era.

In the end,.....yes the Family doesn't take "requests" for releases,or we'd all have those last 5 albums,...but be glad some cool stuff IS coming out. Why spite the Zappa hand that feeds us freaks? In the end that would just spite yourself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 59  Next