Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 59  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:43 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Son Of Willie The Pimp wrote:
Come to think of it, if the dates of the appeareance of those re-releases mirror the original dates, it's a manageable deal... 8)

Sorry for my misunderstanding earlier but it appears as though the re-release Ryko aside was bogus. So you don't have to worry about re-purchasing them all. Per having to buy the original catalog before purchasing this one, yes - buy them all - what are you waiting for? :wink:

I've got all of the Rykodisc catalogue, but still miss some of the recent non-Rykodisc ones.

Quote:
Per Jaypfunk calling me stupid - I know.... I feel stupid passing on this too. I'm going to hold out until 8/22 knowing that it won't hurt me to do so and that I still have an "out" if we find out more info. and it smells more lame as time goes on. I'm already thinking it's going to be 4 CD's of the engineer from the session talking about how weird it was to see freaks banging on bongos at 3 in the morning. I'd love to find out that there is a 40-minute Monster Magnet on there but I have a bad feeling it's just interview dialog..... :(

If so, I won't bother.
It's bad enough Uncle Meat got screwed up as it is. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:05 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Studebaker wrote:
Joe's Domage and X-Masage have made me doubt whether I really, really need to have every Zappa album available. I hardly ever listen to those. ... I loved Imaginary Diseases, just give us more cds like that.

AMEN..... How many of you pop in Domage or X-Masage in your standard rotation? Imaginary Diseases and Quadiophiliac are more than welcome.... They should put an online poll up here to vote for your favorite post-humous release.... just to see how high Domage and X-Masage rank.... People stand up for those albums but I'd be shocked to find that they rank those albums higher than ID, Quad, or Corsaga.....

or what about the release of Joe's Mirage (aka Roxy DVD .... hehehe) :twisted:

I would be glad to see something released without the tired 'Joe' tag.
Imaginary Diseases is a great title for anyone's album.
I hope they'll keep it up like that.

What I would like to see is a cd and/or dvd of the recent ZPZ tour and something like the bootleg His-Story series with all of the stuff that never made it onto a Zappa cd, like early 45's, Willie Pt 2, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:09 am 

As for some the cost of $69.95 seems questionable so I am once again thinking that for some I have classified their hesitance to purchase as Fanaskeptasaureous behavior.

First let me state that I am no ZFT authorative but as they say as a Person of Interest Who Contributed in a Material Way to Make This Music Possible I see this Pre-Order Deluxe 4 CD package as something very special.

I can remember back in 1980 that Bleeker Bobs was selling the original vinyl version of Freak Out(In Less Than Perfect Condition No Less) for $100 U.S. Dollars. At the same time a Box Seat at a baseball game was around $5.50.

So here we are today and we are(damn lucky)getting some 4tieth Anniversary 4 Disk Freak Out at $69.95 and some who may consider themselves as harcore fans are going to question it's value.

If you translate what that 1980 $100 Vinly cost in todays money it would be at least $1,000.

A Box Seat for a baseball game today is $70.

Folks it is obvious that this is a very special collection and to even question the validity of $69.95 seems a bit preposterous.

This seems to be a limited edition for hardcores.

I can watch baseball on TV.

This special 4-CD set is a golden nugget. To Pre-Order it is a Celebration Day.

But in keeping with music I wonder how many people purchased this crop circle box set which is what I consider average rock and roll fodder whcih lists at 69.98

Now anyone who may be questioning the validity of Led Zepplin well they are the Dinosaur Gods of Heavy Metal Rock And Roll having sold millions and millions but this crop cirlce box set of theirs is nothing more than what it is and it just happens to list at $69.98 for 4 CDs. Yeah they have probably sold more than 100,000 of this box set and have major disttribution on it so it will sell for less but this special 4 CD package of Freak Out obviously seems to fit in a very special category for Zappa Fanatics, Freak Out Historeans or someone just learning what Frank was about.

Now if every person who ever purchased a Led Zepplin Album would Pre-Order this that would be a start but I would hope for an audience with a bit more adventurism.

I guess I'm Dazed And Confused.......with all the Fanaskeptasaureous stating:

"In My Time Of Dying
Gail, Please, The Roxy DVD".

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:46 am, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:19 am 

Just some perspective and additional thoughts.

I was at the gas station yesterday and there was a (you guessed it) SUV filling up beside me. As I was coming back to my car from paying I glanced at his price which was $73 something and still climbing. I thought about that as I was considering ordering this latest offering by the ZFT. In the end I figured that FZ music was worth more to me than a couple of tanks of gas. And it also helps pay for future releases, some of which I'll enjoy more than others. That's just the way it goes. Frank himself released material (Francesco Zappa to name one) that I bought and didn't like. Oh well. If I'm ever in the mood for it, I have it. However I will say that even Joe's Domage has gotten much more play than that one.

I've stopped hoping for this and that as far as Zappa music is concerned these days. Since Frank is no longer with us, I'm generally happy with whatever I get. No, I'm not gonna be too happy if this release is 4 discs like Joe's Domage, but I can probably find something on there to justify the cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:52 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
But in keeping with music I wonder how many people purchased this crop circle box set which is what I consider average rock and roll fodder whcih lists at 69.98

Now anyone who may be questioning the validity of Led Zepplin well they are the Dinosaur Gods of Heavy Metal Rock And Roll having sold millions and millions but this crop cirlce box set of theirs is nothing more than what it is and it just happens to list at $69.98 for 4 CDs. Yeah they have probably sold more than 100,000 of this box set and have major disttribution on it so it will sell for less but this special 4 CD package of Freak Out obviously seems to fit in a very special category for Zappa Fanatics, Freak Out Historeans or someone just learning what Frank was about.

Now if every person who ever purchased a Led Zepplin Album would Pre-Order this that would be a start but I would hope for an audience with a bit more adventurism.

I guess I'm Dazed And Confused.......with all the Fanaskeptasaureous stating:

"In My Time Of Dying

I always wondered about it's purpose.
Led Zep always were an 'albums' band, that means, if you had to follow Zep you had to get to their terms and buy the albums. This box set collects a good 80% of those albums and about three (3!) previously unreleased tracks, all of which can be found on....

.... THIS!
Yep! And that one was released about 2 years after the crop circle box.
Talk about a MAJOR FUCKING RIP-OFF! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:57 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
As for some the cost of $69.95 seems questionable so I am once again thinking that for some I have classified their hesitance to purchase as Fanaskeptasaureous behavior...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Just another crusade.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:06 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
At the same time a Box Seat at a baseball game was around $5.50.

A baseball analogy???? Weak.....

Trendmonger wrote:

Oh my god, you did not just say that.....

Trendmonger wrote:
I guess I'm Dazed And Confused.......
"In My Time Of Dying

Those puns are lamer than Joel Siegel's!?!?!?! WTF?

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:11 pm 

Studebaker wrote:
. I loved Imaginary Diseases, just give us more cds like that.

If you read the booklet of Imaginary Diseases well it says:

Quote:
Then he put this compilation together-and this is only the BEGINNING. What a great place to start

I asked Joe Travers about that and he said there will be more Wazoo releases soon! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:33 pm 

Attention!
To all who have complained that the Forum has gotten boring:
Trendy has offered himself up as an outlet for your aggression!
Go ahead, knock him out! He bounces right back!

Trendmonger wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:36 pm 

It's been done before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:38 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Attention!
To all who have complained that the Forum has gotten boring:
Trendy has offered himself up as an outlet for your aggression!
Go ahead, knock him out! He bounces right back!

Haha - it's funny 'cause it's true! :wink:

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:48 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

Oh my god, you did not just say that.....

Yeah, after about 8 or 9 edits he did.
Everything after This special 4-CD set is a golden nugget is an edit.
What a tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:52 pm 

I love the Joes’, I love ID, I love EIHN and the black Zappa moustache CD….I don’t feel ripped-off by anybody, and I love the ZFT. But I can’t see what’s so disgusting about giving those devotees a short sequence of events or a tiny little artwork preview to chew on, eh?
As they say: Kaufe nie die katze im sack!

My name is fritz :P

best,
buffalo aka winos

(sorry for editing, but sometimes, my English is a bit...err...cheezy

Last edited by buffalo_voice on Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:52 pm 

May I ask, what's up with Trendmonger?
I don't follow any rivalry in here, so... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:57 pm 

unica wrote:
I asked Joe Travers about that and he said there will be more Wazoo releases soon! :shock:

I wonder what the chances are that one of these new releases will be
a complete show. Like in the vein of FZ:OZ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:11 pm 

It would be great to see an official live release with Hot Rats-era stuff on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:13 pm 

Well, I ordered this fucker, and I think it'll be well worth the money. If they are going to start rolling out more at each anniversary, I don't think they'd start by dudding us on the first.......otherwise no-one would come back for more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:19 pm 

unica wrote:
Studebaker wrote:
. I loved Imaginary Diseases, just give us more cds like that.

If you read the booklet of Imaginary Diseases well it says:

Quote:
Then he put this compilation together-and this is only the BEGINNING. What a great place to start

really? mighty grand, i'd say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:34 pm 

Uncle Bernie wrote:
If they are going to start rolling out more at each anniversary, I don't think they'd start by dudding us on the first.......otherwise no-one would come back for more.

I gave that some thought.

I figure, if I owned the vault I'd shovel out the garbage first. If we're to believe that the vault is as extensive as Steve Vai wrote in the notes to Imaginary Diseases, it makes sense to pump out the bad first. What if the catalog increased by 90 releases? Do you then think there'd be sufficient demand to pre-release a Joe's Domage?

There will always be a market for records like Imaginary Diseases. As consumers, I think we're being treated like gamblers at the slots. The house allows you win a little (Imaginary Diseases), but only so much as it keeps you in the game.

I think spoken word stuff is fine. In a perfect world this stuff should be public domain, in our imperfect world it's best stored at lending libraries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:09 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
As for some the cost of $69.95 seems questionable so I am once again thinking that for some I have classified their hesitance to purchase as Fanaskeptasaureous behavior.

It's not a money issue... I just want to know what's on these discs before I fork over the dough. I don't see the need to buy this just to pledge my allegiance to 'the Church of Frank'.

Pound on Zeppelin all you like, at least they made it clear what was in the box set before you bought it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:20 pm 

Studebaker wrote:
Pound on Zeppelin all you like, at least they made it clear what was in the box set before you bought it.

A-fucking-men! How hard is it to put a track listing on there? Even if we have to make assumptions on whether or not a creatively named track title is an actual song or dialog..... a la Joe's Domage..... :evil:

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:35 pm 

Studebaker wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

It's not a money issue... I just want to know what's on these discs before I fork over the dough. I don't see the need to buy this just to pledge my allegiance to 'the Church of Frank'.

I am not pounding on Led Zeppelin for I actually do have some form of appreciation for their music. I just used the Led Zeppelin Crop Circle Box Set as a reference of a cost for a 4 CD set.

Personally I enjoy the total surprize of The Zappa 4 CD project.

I know it's Zappa and that it will focus on that very specific recording period of Freak Out which I beleive is well defined. The web based promo is well within my comprehention to titilate my senses to know that this is something that is right for me. But then again anything and everything Zappa that has ever been released is right for me.

Joe Traver's once said it best in regards to one of the Corsaga where he mentioned that it was for the hard core fan.

I somehow havge a preminition that the 4 CD Freak Out set will be for everyone. In reference to Baseball I know I like Teh New York Mets. I've been a fan since 1962 and when I plop my money down on a game I am unsure of the outcome. Win or losse I enjoy it because I am a Mets fan. I've been in Shea Stadium with 3,000 in the stands or packed at the World Series. I take it for what it is . New York Mets Baseball.

This is Frank Zappa's Freak Out that we are talkign about.

Who Could Imagine 4 CDs worth???????????????

69.95 Give It A Try

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:19 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:

I somehow havge a preminition that the 4 CD Freak Out set will be for everyone. In reference to Baseball I know I like Teh New York Mets. I've been a fan since 1962 and when I plop my money down on a game I am unsure of the outcome. Win or losse I enjoy it because I am a Mets fan. I've been in Shea Stadium with 3,000 in the stands or packed at the World Series. I take it for what it is . New York Mets Baseball.

This is Frank Zappa's Freak Out that we are talkign about.

Who Could Imagine 4 CDs worth???????????????

69.95 Give It A Try

Exactly how many times were you dropped on your head as a baby.
Just round up for us.

Good god, to use your illuminating analogy, you bought a ticket for a game
You got a game. The ticket says who the mets will play.

Whereas, I think people who are still not sure about pre-ordering
don't know what is on the 4 disc set (i.e nothing on the ticket).
All we know is that it's four discs, but is it four discs of music, or two discs of music and two of talking,
or three talking and one music.
For $70 bucks, you might want to know that before you plop down your cash.

As I've said, I'm going to "trust" the ZFT, and pre-order, not to get my
stupid name on the liner notes, but in hope that it's either all music
or 3 to 1 music.

Why is it you only pop up on the boards when something with the ZFT comes about? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:58 pm 

Jesus Fucking H Ballbag Toothpicks In My Asshole Christ!! You people are a bunch of whiney ass bitches!!!

It's a 4-CD Set for roughly $80.00 right?? If you go to Tower Records and buy 4 CDs that are NOT on sale the normal price is $18.99+ tax right? Shut The Fucking Fuck Up, stop whining like faggots at a cockring party and just buy the damn thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:02 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
It's a 4-CD Set for roughly $80.00 right?? If you go to Tower Records and buy 4 CDs that are NOT on sale the normal price is $18.99+ tax right? Shut The Fucking Fuck Up, stop whining like faggots at a cockring party and just buy the damn thing.

Yup, that still doesn't help me. $80 for 4 hours of interviews - sorry, I don't give a fuck. $80 for at least 2 hours of never-before heard MUSICAL audio relating to Freak Out? Sure - sign me up!

Am I a 'faggot' for asking for those details? :?
If so - then go ahead and stick a dick in my mouth.... :wink:

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 59  Next