Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:37 am 

In Flakes,  what the hell is he refering to? Want to buy some mandies, Bob.?"<br><br>He's swapped it out for "acid". <br>This has probably been covered. But it's buggin' me like a bad case of bromodrosis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:42 am 

[quote author=punky_kent link=board=albums;num=1108071443;start=0#0 date=02/10/05 at 13:37:23]In Flakes,  what the hell is he refering to? Want to buy some mandies, Bob.?... [/quote]<br>'ludes, dude <br><br>mandies refers to mandrax, a brand-specific name for methaqualone<br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:44 am 

I remember reading something about this....<br>I might be wrong, but I think mandies is some kind of strong medicatoin, that drug abusers take. And It has something to do with Bob Dylan<br><br>Help me here zappafreaks..<br>Think someone else at the forum can give u more information about this..

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:53 am 

http://www.geocities.com/ifekete/mandies.html<br><br><br>odd FZ site  --  check it out

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:57 am 

My favorite version of this saying is from "The Torture Never Stops (Part One)" from the "The Best Band..." album:<br><br>"Wanna buy some cave paintings, Bob?"  ;D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:49 pm 

[quote author=timmo82 link=board=albums;num=1108071443;start=0#3 date=02/10/05 at 13:52:51]...it was known as the love drug at that time (the 70s). Guys would say to girls "Let's do some ludes and fuck". Some girls would say "Yes" and others would say "No...<br><br>''Some street names it has been sold as are Disco Biscuits, Down And Dirtys, Fuckers, Joe Fridays, Lemmon 714, Lemons, Lennons, Lovers, Ludes, Mandies, Mandrake, Q, qua, quaa, quack, Quad, Qualudes, Soaper, Supper, Vitamin Q, The Love Drug, Wallbangers, Whore Pills, and on and on and on...''...[/quote]<br><br>that website is mis-informed...quaaludes [any downers] might have been known by all those names except the love drug, which was mda [mdma] back in my school daze<br><br>'ludes were quite common, came in a paper roll of wafers kinda like sweet tarts, gave your brain more numb than buzz; only saw mda twice in all those years and it was nothing like 'ludes, you would forgive your worst enemy, & the chicks never said no [sub] ;)[/sub]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:26 am 

From my experience MDA was the " love drug " , not panty dropper ludes. Seems MDA would give you the " everything is beautiful " feeling , but the ludes were " who gives a fuck anyway " syndrom. I've heard MDA compared to today's ectasy ???<br><br>Any other's experience?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:23 am 

God dam please excuse my ignorance but I thought Mandies was some kind of candy from the 70's like a Mentos haha ;D. I swear when I was a kid I heard that line before on tv. "Wanna buy some Mandies?".  Oh well I was just a kid in the 70's, learn something everyday.      \m/:P\m/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:32 am 

[quote author=wheatgurm link=board=albums;num=1108071443;start=0#9 date=05/31/05 at 08:23:13]  God dam please excuse my ignorance but I thought Mandies was some kind of candy from the 70's like a Mentos haha ;D. I swear when I was a kid I heard that line before on tv. "Wanna buy some Mandies?".  Oh well I was just a kid in the 70's, learn something everyday.      \m/:P\m/[/quote]<br>I remember seeing T-shirts with a "circle" on the chest (the pill) and "RORER 714" in the center. "Rorer" was the *SPAM* corporation (long ago bought out, like most) and "714" was Rorer's drug ID code for "Quaalude brand of Methaqualone". I never used the drug but maybe I should have bought the T-shirts, put them away and brought them out today where there's probably a collector's market for them! (I do remember "pop-rocks" -- that never killed anyone -- didn't like them or any other "candy" because I hated all candy (real candy, candy) and ate it as a little kid only because I thought since everybody likes this stuff I gotta eat it too. (Ptewey!) And for some reason I can't remember the name of that gum that "came in your mouth". Someone must!;)<br><br>--Bat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:03 am 

[quote author=Batchain link=board=albums;num=1108071443;start=0#10 date=06/01/05 at 07:32:04]<br>I remember seeing T-shirts with a "circle" on the chest (the pill) and "RORER 714" in the center. "Rorer" was the *SPAM* corporation (long ago bought out, like most) and "714" was Rorer's drug ID code for "Quaalude brand of Methaqualone". I never used the drug but maybe I should have bought the T-shirts, put them away and brought them out today where there's probably a collector's market for them!<br><br>--Bat[/quote]<br><br>I have a RORER 714 shirt from the 70s that my uncle gave me. It's fucking awesome. I'll take a picture of it tonite. Keith Moon used to wear one and Chong had one in the "Up In Smoke" movie.<br>Fuckin' cool!<br><br><br>  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:29 am 

MDA is an earlier incarnation of MDMA.   MDA was used by psychiatrist's to help couples in therapy.  Like you said, "you forgive your worst enemy".   It was amazingly successful, but it soon started being used recreationally.  Waaaaay up north, just south of Nanook, In Kapuskasing, a tiny little logging town in Nothern Ontario, apparently the love drug was all over in the late sixties.   A lot of my friends parents (including mine) used to do it in high school.  So the government banned it's use therapeutically, causing chemists to purify MDA into MDMA, which was new at the time, hence not a controlled substance yet.   And the rest of the story, well, we all know about extacy now!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:18 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1108071443;start=0#11 date=06/01/05 at 08:03:12]<br><br>I have a RORER 714 shirt from the 70s that my uncle gave me. It's fucking awesome. I'll take a picture of it tonite. Keith Moon used to wear one and Chong had one in the "Up In Smoke" movie.<br>Fuckin' cool!<br><br><br>  [/quote]It's weird that I don't remember it from the movie but at one point they seemed to take off and a lot got bought up and were worn. There was even this kid "Arthur" (Eternally zoned out but he never had a cigarette of his own who liked me a lot for my generosity with mine.) a few houses away who one day showed up wearing one that surprised me because I'd only seen them on people "in town". Well, for a "nice, friendly, 'Centerville-type', right-near-town" suburb it was "drug central" for years with the same "coke-mobile" getting busted on a weekly basis, one night right outside my bedroom window!<br>But I'd love to see one of those "Rorer 714 tees" again! :)<br><br>--Bat