Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: re: sleep dirt vocals?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9593
reednzl wrote:
....goddam i'm glad i got some zappa i've never heard before.    this sounds pretty cool.   i like these vocals.   who is this chick singing???  ...


years hearing pure instrumental versions is hard to chip away; thana harris; i've had the cd for about 3 or 4 months, hasn't grown on me yet, but i'm not giving up

_________________
Image


Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 7:13 am
Posts: 770
I like SD with and without vocals. But, I have to say that the version with vocals is among FZs most unique sounding work IMO. That sounds nothing like anything else Frank has ever done, and its still kinda creepy to me..........

_________________
I Was In A Drum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:30 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 7813
Location: Underneath Virginia
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
....i've had the cd for about 3 or 4 months, hasn't grown on me yet, but i'm not giving up


A little over two months later....

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
....i’d rather suck the snot out of a gorilla's nose until the back of his head caves in than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time [etc.]


"...he used to be....a nice boy....he used....to cut the grass." :wink:

EDIT:

Edited from YaBB to phpBB2 formatting.

_________________
I want dis little pussy
Baby wants some o' dis
And some o' dat
Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat


Jimmie D Fan


Last edited by Isaac on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9593
a little over seven months later

slime.oofytv wrote:
...Imagen.p.


...;)


the vocals still suck; always have, always will

_________________
Image


Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:06 pm
Posts: 252
Location: ugly little rum
It sorta bothered me that the beginning of The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution is chopped off on Lather.  Anyone know why that is?<br><br>PS  I think the ending of Time is Money is perfectly executed.

_________________
Some folks got it
Some folks don't
Some so yoogly
They never won't


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:24 pm
Posts: 5294
Location: somewhere in West Virginia
When I bought my Sleep Dirt CD, I was lucky enough to find a copy of the original first pressing of the Barking Pumpkin version. This has the original drum part Chester played when they were recording "Regyptian Strut" instead of Chad's overdubbage (which was included for the second pressing and every version afterwards). For more info, check this out:<br><br>http://lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/sleepdirt.html

_________________
Faster'n a three-peckered owl!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9593
carvin_abuser wrote:
It sorta bothered me that the beginning of The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution is chopped off on Lather.  Anyone know why that is...


one of zappa's very best acoustic jams, fucking butchered

_________________
Image


Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:06 pm
Posts: 252
Location: ugly little rum
[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=30#33 date=02/15/05 at 10:21:41]<br>one of zappa's very best acoustic jams, fucking butchered<br>[/quote]<br>I agree.  IMO, it's an unbelievable genius masterpiece,  doesn't make sense why it wouldn't be on there in its entirety.<br>

_________________
Some folks got it
Some folks don't
Some so yoogly
They never won't


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:39 am 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 7813
Location: Underneath Virginia
Carvin_Abuser wrote:
It sorta bothered me that the beginning of The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution is chopped off on Lather.  Anyone know why that is?


Frank shortened that track for the Läther album, including the full version of the track would stretch the LP side out to 28 minutes, and FZ always wanted the best sound quality on his albums, no matter what format they existed in. You cannot put more than 25 minutes on an LP without affecting the sound quality: longer LP sides have smaller grooves.

This is the reason why "Didja Get Any Onya?" was extended for the CD release of Weasels Ripped My Flesh: he couldn't fit the entire 6-minute recording on the record, because it would stretch out the LP sides. Same thing with "The Gumbo Variations" on Hot Rats.

The only reason Frank could include the full version of "The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution" on the Sleep Dirt vinyl is because he only had two other tracks on side two: a two minute track and a three minute track. The entire side two of that album was about 20 minutes long because he only had three cuts on it and two were short.

On side 7 of the Läther album, he had a 7 minute track, a 5 minute track and the 8 minute version of "The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution," and it fit perfectly. Had Frank lived to see the CD release of Läther, he probably would have included the full version of that song on the CD.

_________________
I want dis little pussy
Baby wants some o' dis
And some o' dat
Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat


Jimmie D Fan


Last edited by Isaac on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:00 am
Posts: 3155
[quote author=Isaac link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=30#39 date=02/15/05 at 17:40:35]<br><br>Wrong. What you have posted is horseshit.<br><br>Okay, buddy?[/quote]<br>Watch out: Einstein is at work. What a strong argument you have put forth. With all that evidence to support your claim. <br><br>You are so fucking pathetic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:00 am
Posts: 3155
[quote author=Isaac link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=30#42 date=02/15/05 at 19:09:36]<br><br>No, YOU ARE WRONG.<br><br>You are always wrong.<br><br>You are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.<br><br>Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.<br><br>You're posts are NOTHING but bullshit!<br><br>Fuck off. Okay, buddy?[/quote]<br>Your debating skills are poor at best.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:15 pm
Posts: 325
Location: minnesota , �usa
MILES DAVIS<br>A TRIBUTE TO JACK JOHNSON<br><br>SIDE 1:  RIGHT OFF   26:54<br>SIDE 2:  YESTERNOW 25:36<br><br><br>without question one the finest lp's i own. <br>the sound quality of this vinyl recording puts to shame most of the shit that is released today on cd...<br><br>WHO'S  fulla shit???? <br><br><br><br>

_________________
****** TAX THE CHURCHES *******
*****************************


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:21 pm
Posts: 669
Location: Norway
[quote author=Isaac link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=30#42 date=02/15/05 at 19:09:36]<br><br>No, YOU ARE WRONG.<br><br>You are always wrong.<br><br>You are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.<br><br>Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.<br><br>You're posting NOTHING but bullshit!<br><br>Fuck off. Okay, buddy?[/quote]<br><br>I hereby nominate this post for the "best argument ever" forum award 2005<br><br> ;D

_________________
All the time he would spend...all the colors he'd blend...
Where are they now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9593
::) [quote author=isaac link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=30#36 date=02/15/05 at 13:39:09]...it is impossible to do that -- you can only include up to 20 minutes on each LP side....[/quote] <br><br>Image<br>Image<br>Image<br>Image<br>

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:21 pm
Posts: 669
Location: Norway
.....and this bad boy stretch out to a whopping 32:17<br><br>I guess now that you been proven wrong, you'll start deleting/editing<br>your posts and deny the whole thing.....again... ;)<br><br>Image<br><br><br>IB ;D<br><br>

_________________
All the time he would spend...all the colors he'd blend...
Where are they now?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group