Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:32 pm 

The New Vaudeville Band won a Grammy for Winchester Cathedral. Against Good Vibrations. FTGrammys.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:31 am 

wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
Opus131 wrote:
Zappa did have an habit of starting off some of his albums with rather conventional sounding tunes

Yeah, like Plastic People or Didja Get any Onya. :P Well I must give you the reason because they 2, Uncle Meat and Are You Hung Up are the only exceptions I can think of right now. :wink:

"For Calvin" is another example of Zappa putting the least listener-friendly song first. (He seems to have had second thoughts about it since some CDs start with "The Grand Wazoo" instead.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:08 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
Opus131 wrote:
Zappa did have an habit of starting off some of his albums with rather conventional sounding tunes

Yeah, like Plastic People or Didja Get any Onya. :P Well I must give you the reason because they 2, Uncle Meat and Are You Hung Up are the only exceptions I can think of right now. :wink:

"For Calvin" is another example of Zappa putting the least listener-friendly song first. (He seems to have had second thoughts about it since some CDs start with "The Grand Wazoo" instead.)

As far as i know the original album started with the (more accesible) title track. It was the first (and maybe the following) CD-release(s) that started wiith Calvin.

My first album was Does humor belong in music. It is not discussed very much here, so maybe i might call it underrated. After a long series of albums that were dominated by songs with vocals and mostly only FZ himself as instrumental soloist this album offers lots of stunning solo work by the band mates.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:16 pm 

ursinator wrote:
My first album was Does humor belong in music. It is not discussed very much here, so maybe i might call it underrated. After a long series of albums that were dominated by songs with vocals and mostly only FZ himself as instrumental soloist this album offers lots of stunning solo work by the band mates.

I have never heard it, but it seems good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:23 pm 

ursinator wrote:
As far as i know the original album started with the (more accesible) title track. It was the first (and maybe the following) CD-release(s) that started wiith Calvin.

The Bizarre LP and 1986 Ryko CD both start with "For Calvin." (I own the LP, used to own the CD.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:49 pm 

Opus131 wrote:
I was just listening to Make a Jazz Noise, and i'd argue that whatever was lost in 82-84 was regained in 88.

I agree 100%.

pbuzby wrote:
Give Guitar another try sometime. I didn't care much for it at first, but it has subtler pleasures than the Shut Up sets. Pay attention to Scott Thunes's bass, especially on the 1984 tracks.

Good point. Thunes is amazing. I really paid most attention to the guitar because, well, it's the Guitar album. I picked up on the drums and keys a lot as well and that didn't help. I suppose maybe I prefer less fastidious drumming and I dislike the 80s keyboard sounds in general. Listening to Thunes is a whole new approach to this album.

pbuzby wrote:
"For Calvin" is another example of Zappa putting the least listener-friendly song first.

I'm curious what your other examples might be.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:16 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

pbuzby wrote:
"For Calvin" is another example of Zappa putting the least listener-friendly song first.

Hmm. "Wind Up Working At A Gas Station"?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:33 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

WPLJ, obviously.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:01 pm 

You Are What You Is and Thing-Fish. I can barely even wrap my head around what Frank did on those two albums. Freakin' stellar, and definitely underrated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10