Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Your Mouth
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:28 am 

So I have been listening to Waka/Jawaka constantly recently. Probably my most played album of the last month or two. I find myself completely in love with 'Your Mouth'. It's so damn big and catchy and very 70's. Did Zappa do anything else remotely like it?

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

Post subject: Re: Your Mouth
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:57 am 

My favorite song on that album. That second part is beyond catchy for me too. I think I shall put this on! Welcome Monday morning with a good 'un!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:23 am 

The whole album is unusual in the Zappa canon; "Your Mouth" and "It Just Might Be a One-Shot Deal" are two oddities that have always been high on my list of personal favorite FZ tunes (the whole pedal steel solo in the middle section is simply breathtaking; "Sneaky Pete" Kleinow sure as hell didn't disappoint).

According to the album's liner notes (and IINK) Janet Ferguson provides vocals for at least IJMBAOSD, although it sure sounds like there are some female vocals in the background of YM. To answer NuclearProstate's question, I can't say I can think of other FZ songs that remind me of either of these, though. :|

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:36 am 

Liked Macy Gray's vocal take on this on one of the birthday bundles, her voice fit really well just wish it didn't sound like a karaoke track,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:04 am 

Buckalos wrote:
According to the album's liner notes (and IINK) Janet Ferguson provides vocals for at least IJMBAOSD, although it sure sounds like there are some female vocals in the background of YM.

Along with Sal Marquez, Kris Peterson sings on "Your Mouth." Here is a blog reference to an album she did around the same time:

http://www.redtelephone66.com/?s=kris+peterson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:35 am 

I see "Your Mouth" as a dry run for the basic overall slick blues-jazz style prevalent on the Apostrophe album. A definitive statement: the early Mothers era is definitively over and now all the vocals based tracks are going to sound very different. A shape of things to come as far as Over-Nite Sensation is concerned. It's also very reminiscent of Side Four of Todd Rundgren's "Something/Anything" (y'know, the side where Todd performed with a band, rather than multitracking his instrumentation).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:06 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
So I have been listening to Waka/Jawaka constantly recently. Probably my most played album of the last month or two. I find myself completely in love with 'Your Mouth'. It's so damn big and catchy and very 70's. Did Zappa do anything else remotely like it?

If you haven't already, check out some of the tunier tunes from the Flo & Eddie era. To me, they are similar to Your Mouth. Bluesy, catchy with nice arrangements.

For instance:
Daddy Daddy Daddy
Would You Go All the Way?
Rudy Wants to Buy Yez a Drink
What Will This Evening Bring Me This Morning

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:56 pm 

Soracha wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

If you haven't already, check out some of the tunier tunes from the Flo & Eddie era. To me, they are similar to Your Mouth. Bluesy, catchy with nice arrangements.

For instance:
Daddy Daddy Daddy

Good point Soracha. Most of the vocals after Flo & Eddie, did not venture into the higher registers. "Your mouth" bucked that trend.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:01 am 

Soracha wrote:

For instance:
Daddy Daddy Daddy

These are all close and especially WWTEBMTM but they don't have the same feel. Your Mouth is very very big, it really does remind me of an all black chorus group singing over a blaxsploitation flick. I imagine Tina Turner singing this.

As for IMJBAOSD, that is pretty much out there. Sneaky Pete's solo is insane. It's a good song but the weakest on the album for me.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:

These are all close and especially WWTEBMTM but they don't have the same feel. Your Mouth is very very big, it really does remind me of an all black chorus group singing over a blaxsploitation flick. I imagine Tina Turner singing this.

As for IMJBAOSD, that is pretty much out there. Sneaky Pete's solo is insane. It's a good song but the weakest on the album for me.

Hehe, yeah it's big. I see what you mean :)

Well, Big Band Zappa (not the same as big, but sorta) is pretty much limited to The Wazoo period and the '88 tour. But it's not always bluesy as Your Mouth.

Also check out Sleep Dirt. I've always felt a bigness in much of the stuff there. In any case it's a really good album.

There's a gospel song on Thing-Fish too. Can't remember the name, but somebody else surely can.

Other songs I think of when talking about Your Mouth is For the Young Sophisticate and Planet of My Dreams. Don't really know why but I make some kind of connection. Maybe far-fetched, but still.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:13 am 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
NuclearProstate wrote:
Did Zappa do anything else remotely like it?

In what way....?

Post subject: re: your mouth
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 pm 

a top zappa song for me, the intro, guitar fills, trumpet fills, vocals, horn arrangements, the way it rolls from one part to the next, the lyrics ... classic zappa, totally catchy... what about the range of notes covered in any one passage ... all over the place: the background vocals & piccolo over 'let her talk a little more ... '

can't think of similar zappa songs, but ed_o_max makes a good point about dry run for future blues-jazz style on (') , yea, thanks ed, hadn't thought those together, also relevant to female vocals used on (') ons, roxy & later on philly '76

on my old mixtapes, a standard sequence was: your mouth; moan for you joe - the guess who; steamroller - james taylor; someday the sun won't shine - tull

sidebar; had a friendly debate with román from iink ... regarding the shotgun; a he ¿ or an it ¿

iink: because it just might wanna blow you away
me: because he just might wanna blow you away

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:39 am 

I would loved to have heard an '88 version of this.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

Post subject: Re: re: your mouth
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:48 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
a top zappa song for me, the intro, guitar fills, trumpet fills, vocals, horn arrangements, the way it rolls from one part to the next, the lyrics ... classic zappa, totally catchy... what about the range of notes covered in any one passage ... all over the place: the background vocals & piccolo over 'let her talk a little more ... '

can't think of similar zappa songs, but ed_o_max makes a good point about dry run for future blues-jazz style on (') , yea, thanks ed, hadn't thought those together, also relevant to female vocals used on (') ons, roxy & later on philly '76

on my old mixtapes, a standard sequence was: your mouth; moan for you joe - the guess who; steamroller - james taylor; someday the sun won't shine - tull

sidebar; had a friendly debate with román from iink ... regarding the shotgun; a he ¿ or an it ¿

iink: because it just might wanna blow you away
me: because he just might wanna blow you away

It's definitely he - I can provide a slowed down version if you need some proof.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:50 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:

A song starting "your mouth is your religion" would have been interesting mixed in with all of the songs about televangelists they did that year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:17 am 

At the CD-fair last Saturday a guy played a Steve Miller record from 1973, and there was one song on it that sounded just like Your Mouth. Must remember to research which song it was.

(edit: it was either Come On In My Kitchen, or one of the songs around it. And the album is called The Joker, of course. Me and my rock classics huh.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:58 pm 

BBP wrote:
At the CD-fair last Saturday a guy played a Steve Miller record from 1973, and there was one song on it that sounded just like Your Mouth. Must remember to research which song it was.

(edit: it was either Come On In My Kitchen, or one of the songs around it. And the album is called The Joker, of course. Me and my rock classics huh.)

Lovin' Cup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA5mmlGszkk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:34 pm 

No it's Come On In My Kitchen, about a minute in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMz3Fh9H7Fg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:07 am 

That was pretty awesome.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:44 pm 

Wow, this song is for some Frank's finest and for some the absolutely worst. I'm in the middle, but more on the finest side.

I think The Illinois Enema Bandit or Filthy Habits are BIG songs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:53 pm 

wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
Wow, this song is for some Frank's finest and for some the absolutely worst. I'm in the middle, but more on the finest side.

Yeah, especially FH. I find TIEB repeats itself a little too much. Love Ray's vocals.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:27 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:

Yeah, especially FH. I find TIEB repeats itself a little too much. Love Ray's vocals.

Yeah, after the solo it gets a bit boring until the It Can't Happen Here section.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:45 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

A song starting "your mouth is your religion" would have been interesting mixed in with all of the songs about televangelists they did that year.

Most definitely agree with you on that one. That would have fit right in to Zappa's stance at the time. Imagine some of the lyrical changes he could have made with that one. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:14 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:

Yeah, after the solo it gets a bit boring until the It Can't Happen Here section.

BIG Swifty is also very big too.