Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Top 5 zappa albums
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:45 am 

1. We're Only In It For The Money<br>2. Hot Rats<br>3. Freak Out!<br>4. Uncle Meat<br>5. Lumpy Gravy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:59 pm 

1. Hot Rats<br>2. We're Only in it for the Money<br>3. Freak Out!<br>4. Absolutely Free<br>5. Apostrophe<br><br>I don't have very many albums...   :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:35 pm 

1.Uncle meat<br>2.We're only in it for the money<br>3.One size fits all<br>4.Hot Rats<br>5.Just another band from L.A.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:56 pm 

Hot Rats<br>Zappa In New York<br>Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar<br>Jazz From Hell<br>Civilization Phaze III<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:32 pm 

1) Sheik Yerbouti<br>This was one of the first ones I really "got" (besides 200 Motels, but getting that was only enhanced by the use of LSD, so I don't know how much that counts). I also like many of the personnel on this record...it's just one of my favorite eras.<br>2) Zappa In New York<br>Only idiots would argue against this one<br>3) Roxy and Elsewhere<br>See note for 2)<br>4) Joe's Garage Act 1<br>Not the most amazing for nerds who like the gnat notes, but it's a good overall album. Along with Sheik Yerbouti it's a good "intro to Zappa" record, IMO.<br>5) One size fits all<br>This isn't the one I listen to the most, but it's just got so much good stuff on it I couldn't resist putting it on my list.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:39 pm 

1. One Size Fits All<br>2. Only In It For The Money<br>3. Over-nite Sensation<br>4. Hot Rats<br>5. Tinsel Town Rebellion :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:33 am 

My choices:<br>1) Fillmore East June '71<br>2) Weasels Ripped My Flesh<br>3) Shut Up & Play Your Guitar<br>4) We're Only In It For the Money<br>5) All the rest are tied for 5th  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:39 am 

1/ Guitar<br>2/ Shut up and play yer guitar<br>3/ Strictly Genteel<br>4/ Orchestral Favorites<br>5/ Uncle Meat<br><br> :( 8) ;D >:( :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:46 pm 

This is not easy , because Anything recorded by the Late Great Frank Zappa deserves to be on this list ... but here goes ...<br><br>1) Freak Out - because it's his first (if you don't count Cucamonga and Mystery Disc but they should count cause they're great too)<br><br>2) Hot Rats - it absolutely blows anybody else out the door from that point on .<br><br>3) Overnight Sensation - for the groove , the funk , the words and what a band . <br><br>4) Joe's Garage part 1 - for the concept , the sound  and my first Zappa album (vinyl)<br><br>5) Guitar - i can listen to it for days <br><br>Peace All  ;D    

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:25 am 

1) Jazz From Hell<br>2) The Mothers Meet The The Mother Of Prevention<br>3) Thing Fish<br>4) Burnt Weeny Sandwich<br>5) The Grand Wazoo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:20 pm 

i have to go with <br>1 over nite sensation <br>2  zoot allures<br>3 apostrpy<br>4 zappa in new york <br>5 sheik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:34 am 

Top five of the day (in no order):<br><br>- Civilization Phaze III<br>- Hot Rats<br>- Uncle Meat<br>- Läther<br>- Roxy & Elsewhere

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:46 am 

In no particular order:<br><br>1. Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch<br>Entered a store, heared an insane bass groove, bought the cd. That's why I go less and less to big retailers, and more often to small & second hand shops<br><br>2. Zoot Allures<br>"The Torture Never Stops" & I can't help it!<br><br>3. Fillmore East, 1971<br>I love ALice Cooper, and I love to hear FZ making fun of him! So many great moments on that one!<br><br>4. Absolutely Free<br>I think that was my second introduction to FZ and the one that convinced me. I love this album. Before that one I had only heared one track off a YCDTOSAnymore which didn't do it for me.<br><br>5. Baby Snakes<br>Some of my all time favourite FZ songs are in it!<br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:48 pm 

These are the albums I consider Zappa's masterworks:<br><br>200 Motels<br><br>Lather<br><br>Roxy<br><br>Hot Rats<br><br>Burnt Weenie Sandwich<br><br>(if I have to pick only 5 and the order is random)<br><br>It makes me very sad to think that 200 Motels may become  a rare thing to find in the coming years.  I'm happy however that I was able to get my hands on a copy.