Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:48 pm 

I'm running low on funds here, and I'm basically wondering which one of these three no-doubt-fine records I should no longer be without.  I love "YCDTOSA Vol. 2," and I think Frank's live records are generally great, but I own almost all the original versions of things on vol. 1, and I'm not a huge fan of the '82 band, who I believe played at least half of Vol. 5 (plus, I own a lot of what they play on that one).  I do not yet own "Sheik Yerbouti," which I know was among Frank's most popular, primarily because I generally find myself more interested in his instrumental or writing/playing-focused material (e.g., "Grand Wazoo," "Roxy," "One Size. . .," "YCDTOSA Vol. 2").  What y'all say?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:41 pm 

Sheik Yerbouti has some great Instrumental stuff on it. Some of his best soloing is there, in my opinion (Rat Tomago,anyone?)<br><br>Not to mention the two solo's being merged together to creat 'Rubber Shirt'. Incredible.<br><br>Admittedley, it's instrumentals are few, but it's a great album.<br><br>I'm trying to go chronologically recently, so I don't have the YCDTOSA series yet...sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:29 pm 

Ditka!<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:58 pm 

Get Sheik and Studio Tan (if you don't already have it, or SATLTSADW would be next) for the price of one of the YCDTOSA CDs. Sheik's a great recording, the other two studio ones I mentioned are awesome too and feature great compositions over poppy/zany stuff (but lots of zany stuff thrown in too).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:07 am 
Banned

If you already have Läther, then you have absolutely no reason to buy Studio Tan (all four tracks from ST are on Läther, in better sound quality, with nothing added or removed).

EDIT: I apologize. I forgot about the "unique ending" for "Greggery Peccary" on the ST album. It's very brief. You wouldn't be missing much. But do get Sheik Yerbouti if you can find a good, cheap copy.

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:15 am 

[quote author=Isaac link=board=albums;num=1126907284;start=0#6 date=09/23/05 at 13:07:04][center]If you already have Läther, then you have absolutely no reason to buy Studio Tan (all four tracks from ST are on Läther, in better sound quality, with nothing added or removed).<br><br>[/center][/quote]<br><br>WRONG AGAIN!!<br><br>"The Adventures of Greggery Peccary" is differant on Lather and Studio Tan. Different mixes and edits.<br><br>Stop giving people bad information!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:23 am 
Banned

jaypfunk wrote:
WRONG AGAIN!!

"The Adventures of Greggery Peccary" is differant on Lather and Studio Tan. Different mixes and edits.

Stop giving people bad information!!

EDITS --
As far as editing goes, the CD release of ST is shorter than the Läther version, and the version from the ST vinyl (which all stem from the same recording).

MIXES --
On the ST vinyl, Warner Brothers had the EQ settings all wrong, and on the ST CD, you get another different mix, but both mixes are inferior to the Läther version. Basically, all you're missing if you skip Studio Tan is a very brief, two second ending that is clipped on Läther. You wouldn't be missing much. Take it from me. "Bad information." You poor, deluded soul.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:49 am 

[quote author=Isaac link=board=albums;num=1126907284;start=0#8 date=09/23/05 at 13:23:06]<br><br>EDITS --<br><br>As far as editing goes, the CD release of ST is shorter than the Läther version, and the version from the ST vinyl (which all stem from the same recording).<br><br>MIXES --<br><br>On the ST vinyl, Warner Brothers had the EQ settings all wrong, and on the ST CD, you get another different mix, but both mixes are inferior to the Läther version.<br><br>Basically, all you're missing if you skip Studio Tan is a very brief, two second ending that is clipped on Läther. You wouldn't be missing much. Take it from me.<br><br>"Bad information." You poor, deluded soul.[/quote]<br><br>The mixes are different!! Different is different!! So once again gave opinion (as far as the mixes being inferior)  as fact. YOU SUCK!!<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:05 pm 

go with yer bouti<br>you'll be happy in the end

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:23 pm 
Banned

jaypfunk wrote:
The mixes are different!! Different is different!! So once again gave opinion (as far as the mixes being inferior)  as fact.

Oh? So then, would you say that the earlier Bob Stone-mixed (extreme reverb and compression) versions of You Are What You Is and Tinsel-Town Rebellion are essential, despite the fact that they are inferior to the original vinyl mix and the later Spencer Chrislu re-remasters of 1998? I don't think so!

jaypfunk wrote:
YOU SUCK!!

In your dreams, Limbaugh. :roll:

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:27 pm 

Sheik....go get it....ya won't be dissapointed.   ;D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:55 am 

Isaac wrote:
If you already have Lather, then you have absolutely no reason to buy Studio Tan.

Ever listen to Dumb All Over, Isaac? The Greggary Peccary mix definitely differs on Studio Tan. think The Return Of The Son Of The Vinyl vs. CDs FAQ knows a tad more than you about the whole subject, so let's ask them.

"The Adventures of Greggery Peccary": Two different mixes and edits.

I still think that Studio Tan is an essential purchase, largely because it works so bloody well as an album.

Last edited by Hate_Eternal on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:58 am 

Oh, and as for what you should buy next, I'd go for Sheik Yerbouti. Not to discount the quality of the YCDTOSAs, but Sheik is just that much better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:22 am 
Banned

Isis wrote:
The Greggary Peccary mix definitely differs on Studio Tan.

Didn't you see my other posts? Läther still has the best sounding mixes of those four ST tracks (and, aside from the ending, it maintains all the original edits of the vinyl version of "Greggery Peccary." The CD mix of ST contains a shorter mix of "Greggery Peccary."). If you still want a seperate copy to listen to, rip those four tracks to your hard drive (WAV or WMA...NO MP3s!!), and burn 'em to a CD. Except for the ludicrous artwork, there's really no reason to actually buy Studio Tan if you're just getting into Zappa and you don't have a copy.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:24 am 

YCDTOSA #5 .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:21 am 

[quote author=Confinement_Loaf link=board=albums;num=1126907284;start=15#15 date=10/04/05 at 12:24:03]YCDTOSA #5 .[/quote]<br><br><br>Always gotta rock the boat, eh? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:41 am 

Image<br><br>IB ;D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:50 pm 

sheik yerbouti, definitely.  that was one of my first zappa albums and still one of my favorites.  nothing too crazy, but there are some great songs and adrian belew.  it's a crucial element of any zappa collection....just like the rest of them....just sell some plasma and get all of them!