Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:26 pm 

A couple questions:<br><br>1.  Does anyone have any idea how much of this was an actual composition and how much was made up on the spot?<br>2.  I get the feeling that this has probably been asked elsewhere, but I didn't find anything about it: what the hell kind of bizarre guitaristic appliance is allowing FZ to play those chord clusters with such a surreal, elastic tone?<br><br>Any answers are thoroughly appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:19 pm 

[quote author=billy link=board=concerts;num=1073500834;start=0#5 date=01/08/04 at 09:07:17]Here's a bit of an interview with Terry Bozzio:<br><br>IB: One of the songs I liked from that period was ‘The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution’, with you and Patrick O’Hearn.<br><br> TB: Yeah, actually what happened was me and Dave Parlato and Frank jammed at the Record Plant for about 35 minutes – filled up two reels of tape. And Zappa, out of all that material, edited it down to about 13 minutes.<br><br>And he played it on a real interesting Fender 12-string that had a Barcus Berry in the neck. He had the bottom strings turned to Major 7ths …I think he had every string tuned to a different interval, so it was like a Major 7th then a Minor 7th. The next ones were, you know, a tri-tone Major 3rd and a Minor 3rd. And he had the low strings panned left, and the high strings panned right, and the Barcus Berry panned centre; he had this glass-shattering 12-string sound, it was really unique. <br><br>So we just jammed. And then he…Patrick was playing with Joe Henderson at the Lighthouse and I went to see him play one night. He was staying at my house. I brought him home. And he had this big bass in the car. He didn’t want to leave it in the car, so he brought it inside. And that was how Patrick auditioned for Frank. You know, Frank said, “You play that thing?” Patrick said “Yeah!” He goes “Whip it out” And he put him in the studio. Patrick had already played a gig at 2 or 3 in the morning and he had to play ‘The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution’ as sort of an audition. So he got the gig, and played great bass through it. And Frank put an electric guitar solo on there. It was fun.[/quote]<br><br>the ocean has been in my top 7 list for 25 years

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:36 pm 

I agree with you all, a wonderful song.....I do prefer the Sleep Dirt version to the one on Lather though, simply because I love that intro......Greatt all the same though....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:55 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=albums;num=1129148808;start=0#1 date=10/12/05 at 21:19:35]<br><br>the ocean has been in my top 7 list for 25 years[/quote]<br><br>Is it #7 in your top ten list?  ::) ;D<br>"The Ocean" is one of my favorites too. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:38 am 

Nice Bozzio story.<br><br>I have always assumed that Zappa played an electric bouzouki like the one he plays with Ponty on "Canard du Jour" (Shut up.....). But since Bozzio was there, I can't think he would mistake a bouzouki for a Fender 12 string.<br><br>But they do sound quite similar! Right? In any case "The Ocean...." is simply a fantastic piece of music! And talking about technicalities concerning the song, I'll bet that Zappa plays his electric guitar solo on one of those small Pignose amps. I read he liked that for studio recordings in those days.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:42 am 

[quote author=fido3 link=board=albums;num=1129148808;start=0#4 date=10/13/05 at 06:55:46]Is it #7 in your top ten list?  ::) ;D<br>"The Ocean" is one of my favorites too. :)[/quote]<br>it kinda varies between #1 and #7 depending on my mood<br><br>if that jam was 35 minutes long, and we've only heard 13 minutes of it; put this one on the list, gail...the complete ocean jam session<br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:16 am 

35 mins of The Ocean. :o<br>If it still exicts,would love to hear it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:29 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=albums;num=1129148808;start=0#7 date=10/13/05 at 13:42:58]<br>it kinda varies between #1 and #7 depending on my mood<br><br>if that jam was 35 minutes long, and we've only heard 13 minutes of it; put this one on the list, gail...the complete ocean jam session<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Gail's 'list' must be miles long by now...