Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:40 pm
Posts: 90
I agree heartily with those who said that Studio Tan is a masterpiece.  I found it a little intimidating at first, but everything on it is so great, and on the side, it's virtually another album by the One Size Fits All band.  I didn't know that when I bought it, and that's my favorite FZ group, so yet another plus.<br><br>"RDNZL"!<br><br>Oh, and here's a real, nocturnal, gregarious, wild swine:<br><br>Image<br><br>Which, of course, extinguishes itself with white markings about the neck.

_________________
It sure is slippery in the percussion section today. . . .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:48 pm
Posts: 4
8_Oz_Wings wrote:
I agree heartily with those who said that Studio Tan is a masterpiece.  I found it a little intimidating at first, but everything on it is so great, and on the side, it's virtually another album by the One Size Fits All band.  I didn't know that when I bought it, and that's my favorite FZ group, so yet another plus.<br><br>"RDNZL"!<br><br>Oh, and here's a real, nocturnal, gregarious, wild swine:<br><br>Image<br><br>Which, of course, extinguishes itself with white markings about the neck.


Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was wondering might anyone know why the word "extinguishes" is used in The Adventures of Greggery Peccary instead of the word "distinguishes"? Or if it's just a mistake?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: greggery peccary
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
telefunken-u47 wrote:
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was wondering might anyone know why the word "extinguishes" is used in The Adventures of Greggery Peccary instead of the word "distinguishes"? Or if it's just a mistake?
I've always thought the word is 'distinguishes'.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9595
telefunken-u47 wrote:
...why the word "extinguishes" is used in The Adventures of Greggery Peccary instead of the word "distinguishes"? Or if it's just a mistake?
good bump, thanks

sounds like extiguishes to me, probably zappa fucking around with a bit of wordplay, not much chance it's a mistake

256 google hits: "distinguishes itself by markings which resemble" [including iink]
7 google hits: "extinguishes itself by markings which resemble"

both alt.fan.fz & the zonx book have extinguishes

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: greggery peccary
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
sounds like extiguishes to me, probably zappa fucking around with a bit of wordplay, not much chance it's a mistake
don't think it's a mistake. either way it's deliberate. still sounds like "distinguishes" to me, though.

but, I could be wrong. :shock:

"manny the camper vants to buy some vite..."

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:37 am
Posts: 513
LOVE STUDIO TAN!
A true masterpiece!
Think of the sheer work in orchestration and arrangement!!!

"Hey CUNTBAG don't dis the Peccary!" -- FZ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:55 am
Posts: 405
Location: Sweden
The lyrics included in the booklet of Wazoo says distinguishes

_________________
"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:38 am
Posts: 1071
Location: Centerville, Norway
Extinguishes would be a typical meaningful Zappa obscurization - compare Thing-Fish's vocabulary...

_________________
We make a special art in an environment hostile to dreamers. Frank Zappa, 1971


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:48 pm
Posts: 4
jeddy wrote:
LOVE STUDIO TAN!
A true masterpiece!
Think of the sheer work in orchestration and arrangement!!!

"Hey CUNTBAG don't dis the Peccary!" -- FZ


And the sheer level of diabolical fiendishness involved in Lemme Take You to the Beach. Not that it's a totally unwelcome addition to the album, but you know what I mean...

Perhaps he is alluding to the fact that this particular breed of Peccaries is not only distinguishing themselves from the rest of their more backwards family but, because of their penchant for mainstream style business/capitalism (wearing a "tie", working in large, mindless trend-manufacturing offices etc), ultimately driving themselves to extinction. Or something. Or I'm completely wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:37 am
Posts: 513
NO ONE could use a razor blade like Frank!
Think of the editing involved! In a world without digital.
STUDIO TAN on headphones is too much!

(oh...by the way...that last quote in my comment was NOT from frank zappa
but from Festus Zvinkle. ..the 'Z' is silent)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
I'm going to weigh in with extinguish. I can't hear distinguish at all:

http://www.greatnessland.com/peccarysample.mp3

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
Oh, and I guess I couldn't resist:

http://www.greatnessland.com/Windupsample.mp3

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: greggery peccary
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
sounds like extiguishes to me, probably zappa fucking around with a bit of wordplay, not much chance it's a mistake
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
don't think it's a mistake. either way it's deliberate. still sounds like "distinguishes" to me, though.
but, I could be wrong. :shock:
calvin2hikers wrote:
I'm going to weigh in with extinguish. I can't hear distinguish at all: http://www.greatnessland.com/peccarysample.mp3

it's weird. you've heard a song hundreds of times (or whatever) and you think you know the words.
I've listened to the beginning of 'greggery peccary' a couple of times tonight, and, damnit, I'm pretty sure the word is "extinguishes."
well, there you go...

"excuse me, while I kiss this guy..."

calvin2hikers wrote:
Oh, and I guess I couldn't resist:

http://www.greatnessland.com/Windupsample.mp3
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
"manny the camper vants to buy some vite..."

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: greggery peccary
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9595
soracha wrote:
The lyrics included in the booklet of Wazoo says distinguishes
same with the original wb circular from '72...probably why iink has it wrong




lumpy gravy wrote:
"manny the camper wants to buy some vite..."
2 airballs on one thread, bro, it's mammy the camper vants to buy some vite [thing]fish

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: manny de camper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
lumpy gravy wrote:
"manny the camper vants to buy some vite..."
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
2 airballs on one thread, bro, it's mammy the camper vants to buy some vite [thing]fish
ok, it's "vants", not "wants" (I made a typo). but; "mammy"...?
now, that's debatable. 8)

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gregorypeckory
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
From authorized german book Frank Zappa Zonx:

Page 54:

That extinguishes itself by markings which resemble
a wide tie,
Directly below the white collar!


Page 10:

Manny the Camper wants to buy some white (fish)!

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group