Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:21 am 

When I had only just begun to dip my toe/stinkfoot into the great fishpond of Zappa music I bought Weasels and absolutly hated it!! It's terrible I know, but my defence is that I was young and had only really heard Zappa's more "rock" orientated music like Joes Garage and OSFA. <br>I was discussing this with one of my Zappa freak mates yesterday over a pint and was interested to see if you peeps felt the same way about any perticular album/s

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:11 am 

I was dissapointed when I first heard Burnt Weenie<br>Sandwich, I don't really know why  - I love it now !!!<br><br>The biggest turnaround was with CB's Trout Mask -<br>Originally,  I thought it was a laughable piece of<br>garbage  - Now, I think that most of it is wonderful,<br>sometimes brilliant !!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:22 pm 

Yeah when I first heard Trout Mask Replica, I never realized how good it was. I thought it was just a bunch of burnt out hippies jerking around.<br><br>Oh, how I was wrong. Out of any albums I've ever heard, Trout Mask grew on me the most. <br><br>After that, I got into FZ and have yet to despise any of his albums.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:22 pm 

No FZ album has had to grow on me like that.  There have been ones that I thought were ok then realized are masterpieces, but nothing that I really thought was garbage and now love.  One of my friends years ago tried to get me into Frank with Freak Out! and I didn't like it very much, so maybe that can count.<br><br>  :-/ @ the old me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:04 pm 

Francesco Zappa and Thing-Fish.<br><br>I wonder if I have even listening thru them yet. <br><br>I always buying Zappas stuff the day they are released....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:45 pm 

Zappa I didnt get into first time around? Looking back, and thisll shock ya, Sheik Yerbouti.....Never found that as good as other albums of his. It has grown on me alot more, but that along with Francesco didnt sit too well at first. Regarding peoples  statements about Trout Mask, I loved that from the get go....It is trult one of those albums in which you hear something new in it every listen, like Bitches Brew, CPIII, etc etc....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:33 am 

Quote:
<br><br>The biggest turnaround was with CB's Trout Mask -<br>Originally,  I thought it was a laughable piece of<br>garbage  - Now, I think that most of it is wonderful,<br>sometimes brilliant !!!
<br><br><br>I was the total opposite with Beefheart, I bought Trout Mask a few months ago and loved it from the word go! I was actually told that it may take a few listens to get into it as well. I am now the proud owner of Trout Mask and Shiny Beast (the latter was a gift...awwww...sweeet!  ;))<br><br>As far as Zappa albums I didnt like on first listen...Hmmm...none as yet, but then I have a hell of a lot more of them to get through.. 8)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:02 am 

Doc, Shiny and Ice Cream are all great albums. If anyone knows where to get a copy of Lick My Decals Off on Cd, without the aid of the torrid ebay, please let me know!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:56 am 

I was listening to overnight sensation today, anyone else think it is the worst Zappa cd?   I still don't have about 10+ cd's, so I can't make a definitive statement, but other than Francesco, it really is below average, even an amazing song like Montana seems so limp here.<br>anyone else agree?  I heard ruben just before it, and I got a lot more enjoyment out of it.<br><br>Dirty Love and I'm the Slime are awesome though, I just can't get over Sal's voice, ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:14 am 

[quote author=Noah link=board=albums;num=1114528918;start=0#14 date=04/27/05 at 13:56:27]I was listening to overnight sensation today, anyone else think it is the worst Zappa cd?   I still don't have about 10+ cd's, so I can't make a definitive statement, but other than Francesco, it really is below average, even an amazing song like Montana seems so limp here.<br>anyone else agree?  I heard ruben just before it, and I got a lot more enjoyment out of it.<br><br>Dirty Love and I'm the Slime are awesome though, I just can't get over Sal's voice, ugh.[/quote]<br><br>man, that is probably the most bizarre statement i've heard on this forum since Flammaster announced he wasn't gay  :o<br>

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:22 am 

[quote author=Noah link=board=albums;num=1114528918;start=0#14 date=04/27/05 at 13:56:27]I was listening to overnight sensation today, anyone else think it is the worst Zappa cd?   I still don't have about 10+ cd's, so I can't make a definitive statement, but other than Francesco, it really is below average, even an amazing song like Montana seems so limp here.<br>anyone else agree?  I heard ruben just before it, and I got a lot more enjoyment out of it.<br><br>Dirty Love and I'm the Slime are awesome though, I just can't get over Sal's voice, ugh.[/quote]<br>Aw man cmon 50\50 is a great song,and Zomby Woof  :o ....OS is a great LP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:25 pm 

5050 and Zomby woof are both awesome, but I just can't get over Sal's voice, I find it way more annoying that floneddie.  <br>Why didn't Zappa ever release another version of 5050, did he even play it live?<br>Idon't know guys, this CD just won't grow on me.  <br>Thingfish is a million times better.<br>I'm glad this view seems so strange to all of you! :o

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:05 am 

[quote author=Noah link=board=albums;num=1114528918;start=15#18 date=04/28/05 at 01:25:16]5050 and Zomby woof are both awesome, but I just can't get over Sal's voice, I find it way more annoying that floneddie.  <br>Why didn't Zappa ever release another version of 5050, did he even play it live?<br>Idon't know guys, this CD just won't grow on me.  <br>Thingfish is a million times better.<br>I'm glad this view seems so strange to all of you! :o[/quote]<br><br>Do you mean Ricky's voice?  How can you be a Zappa fan and not like The Zomby Woof himself?  Oh well, I guess you only like "pretty" vocals.   :-*<br>

They never won't

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:12 pm 

HAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!  if you heard the vocals I record myself you'd have a different opinion on that statement!!!! ;D<br>Is that Ricky Lanelotti?  my bad.   <br>Oh ya, I love Beefheart's singing, so it's not really that I only like the pretty vocals, for some reason I just can't stand this guy's warbling voice.  I suppose it is fitting to Zomby Woof, but I would take any of the later versions over thisone.<br>and 5050?  why did he have to trash this song?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:03 pm 

Hot Rats. I didn't loathe it, I just didn't hold it in high esteem.<br><br>Of course, given an openminded listening made it one of my favourite Zappa albums.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:55 pm 

strange but I'm sith you on that one, Hot Rats has never been one of my favorites.  I've grown to love it, but at first I thought it was really weak.   Weasles was that same for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:42 pm 

I always really liked Ricky Lanciottis' singing, especially on the Lost Episodes version of "Wonderful Wino."