All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:03 pm 

I think my favorite Mothers albums are as follows (in order of preference):

1. Burnt Weeny Sandwich
2.Roxy and Elsewhere
3.The Grand Wazoo
4.We're Only In It For The Money
5.Fillmore East
6. Chunga's Revenge (even though it says "Frank Zappa" on the cover, we all know it's the Mothers.)
7.One Size Fits All
8. Overnight Sensation
9.Just Another Band From L.A.
and finally, the drum roll please!...(bumbumbumbum...)
10.Freak Out! tied with Absolutely Free

What's your favorite Mothers albums? We want to know! Callers are standing by! (Call collect, but call today!!) :shock: :) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:47 pm 

Let's see:

1. Burnt Weeny Sandwich
2. Uncle Meat
3. Weasels Ripped My Flesh
4. We're Only In It For the Money
5. Roxy & Elsewhere
6. Absolutely Free
7. Freak Out
8. Ahead of their Time
9. 200 Motels
10. One Size Fits All

It's obvious that I lean heavily towards the 1967-69 Mothers. That was FZ' most innovative and mindblowing era, regardless what he thought of JCB et al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:19 pm 

I can't believe I forgot "Weasels"! I love so many songs on it--especially
"Toads of the Short Forest", "Eric Dolpy Barbecue", "My Guitar" and my all time favorites "Oh No " "Orange County Lumber Truck"..

Favorite lyric (at the moment):

"Andy Devine, had a thong rind"

The Andy in that song--is that aimed at Andy Warhol? If it is, I can see that! Zappa probably couldn't stand him! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:14 pm 
Banned

son of orange county wrote:
I can't believe I forgot "Weasels"! I love so many songs on it--especially
"Toads of the Short Forest", "Eric Dolpy Barbecue", "My Guitar" and my all time favorites "Oh No " "Orange County Lumber Truck"..

Favorite lyric (at the moment):

"Andy Devine, had a thong rind"

The Andy in that song--is that aimed at Andy Warhol? If it is, I can see that! Zappa probably couldn't stand him! :)

Nope. It's a reference to actor Andy Devine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:30 pm 

Who is AndyDevine? What did he do that warranted Frank to write a song about him?What movies was he in?

Post subject: Andy Devine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:07 am 
Banned

Who is AndyDevine? What did he do that warranted Frank to write a song about him?What movies was he in?

Dude.....you're on the internet!

http://www.arf.ru/Notes/Osfa/andy.html

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:09 pm 

Thanks Jimmie D! I looked up that website and got the onfo I needed!

You know my namesake song referenced Nixon ("Roxy" version), but does anyone know who "Oh No" is directed to?

"And in your dreams you can see yourself as a prophet saving the world..The words from your lips--I just can't believe you are such a fool!" :shock: :twisted: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:41 pm 

My favourite Mothers album is Ahead Of Their Time. I think it's a really great album!

By the way, since you mentioned Just Another Band From LA, are the Flo & Eddie albums also listed as The Mothers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:55 pm 
Banned

You know my namesake song referenced Nixon ("Roxy" version), but does anyone know who "Oh No" is directed to?

"And in your dreams you can see yourself as a prophet saving the world..The words from your lips--I just can't believe you are such a fool!" :shock: :twisted: :)

8)

http://www.arf.ru/Notes/Weasels/ohno.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:58 pm 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:

8)

http://www.arf.ru/Notes/Weasels/ohno.html

I'm just shocked you didn't use the old dumptruck for this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:37 pm 
Banned

calvin2hikers wrote:
I'm just shocked you didn't use the old dumptruck for this thread.

8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:41 am 

Sy Borg wrote:
My favourite Mothers album is Ahead Of Their Time. I think it's a really great album!

By the way, since you mentioned Just Another Band From LA, are the Flo & Eddie albums also listed as The Mothers?

Yes :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:04 am 

This is about John Lennon and all his shit about all we need is LOVE

"And in your dreams you can see yourself as a prophet saving the world..The words from your lips--I just can't believe you are such a fool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:24 pm 

Thanks guys! That website really helped me!

Speaking of John Lennon, wasn't that great when him and the Mothers played at the Fillmore together in '71!

When they remastered "Some Time In New York", they totally omitted the Fillmore concert with Zappa...Thanks Yoko!! (Dope!)

I'm glad I still have the unremastered double disc version of it , replete with all of the classic songs, like "Scumbag" and "Well (Please Don't Go)...Plus the great improv stuff like "Jamrag"! :twisted: :roll:

Today I'm buying "Absolutely Free" on CD ( I lost it a few years ago)..Great album! ..For people interested in vinyl, I saw a mint copy of it for $18 in one store and another had it (also mint) for $30!

Normally, I'd buy the vinyl (completist that I am) , but the CD version has a couple of bonus tracks . :) And I love the awesome sound Cd's give!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:45 pm 

... When they remastered "Some Time In New York", they totally omitted the Fillmore concert with Zappa...Thanks Yoko!! (Dope!)

I'm glad I still have the unremastered double disc version of it , replete with all of the classic songs, like "Scumbag" and "Well (Please Don't Go)...Plus the great improv stuff like "Jamrag"!

Zappa released this stuff on Playground Psychotics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:36 pm 

In a different mix, I think? (I have neither, and I've never had the patience to see the video completley, so I wouldn't really know)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:59 pm 

When they remastered "Some Time In New York", they totally omitted the Fillmore concert with Zappa...Thanks Yoko!! (Dope!)
I'm glad I still have the unremastered double disc version of it, replete with all of the classic songs, like "Scumbag" and "Well (Please Don't Go)...Plus the great improv stuff like "Jamrag"!

FZ: The day before the show, a journalist in New York City woke me up - knocked on the door and is standing there with a tape recorder and goes: "Frank, I'd like to introduce you to John Lennon," you know, waiting for me to gasp and fall on the floor and I said "Well, ok, come on in." And we sat around and talked, and I think the first thing he said to me was "you're not as ugly as I thought you would be." So anyway, I thought he had a pretty good sense of humor so I invited him to come down and jam with us at the Fillmore East. We had already booked in a recording truck because we were making the "Live at the Fillmore" album at the time. After they had sat in with us, an arrangement was made that we would both have access to the tapes. He wanted to release it with his mix and I had the right to release it with my mix - so that's how that one section came about. The bad part is, there's a song that I wrote called "King Kong" which we played that night, and I don't know whether it was Yoko's idea or John's idea but they changed the name of the song to "Jam Rag", gave themselves writing and publishing credit on it, stuck it on an album and never paid me. It was obviously not a jam session song - its got a melody, its got a bass line, it's obviously an organized song - little bit disappointing. I've never released my version of the mixes of that night.

John and Yoko (with the aid of producer Phil Spector) also took out a lot of Flo & Eddie's vocals and they had Klaus Voorman overdub a new bass.

FZ released his mixes in 1992, on 'Playground Psychotics.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:43 pm 

I have to get "Playground Psychotics"!....I think I used to have that when I was 20 something, but couldn't appreciate it at the time, so I gave it to an old friend...NOW I could really appreciate it!

As a side bar to this topic, I just bought "Studio Tan" for 4 bucks on vinyl..Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this material recorded in 1971 and 1972..."Greggory Peccary" was recorded with the big band that he used for "Waka/Jawaka" and "grand Wazoo", right? Cause there's a reference to "Big Swifty" and even "Billy The Mountain"...

I love "Let Me Take You To The Beach"! Isn't that Flo and Eddie doing the lead vocals? :? :twisted: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:12 pm 

I have to get "Playground Psychotics"!....I think I used to have that when I was 20 something, but couldn't appreciate it at the time, so I gave it to an old friend...NOW I could really appreciate it!

As a side bar to this topic, I just bought "Studio Tan" for 4 bucks on vinyl..Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this material recorded in 1971 and 1972..."Greggory Peccary" was recorded with the big band that he used for "Waka/Jawaka" and "grand Wazoo", right? Cause there's a reference to "Big Swifty" and even "Billy The Mountain"...

I love "Let Me Take You To The Beach"! Isn't that Flo and Eddie doing the lead vocals? :? :twisted: :)

Basic track:
Hot Rats Sessions
August-September, 1969
Overdubs:
Record Plant, LA
c. 1976

Davey Moire--vocals
Frank Zappa--guitar, vocals
Eddie Jobson--keyboards, yodeling
Max Bennett--bass
Paul Humphrey--drums
Don Brewer--bongos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:39 pm 

Much of Studio Tan was recorded in late 1974-early 1975, aside from "Lemme Take You...", wheatgurm already covered that tune's recording dates. "Greggary Peccary" was composed largely in 1971-2, alright (with a section even originating from late sixties, which is also known as "Some Ballet Music"), but they weren't recorded with the Grand Wazoo band, although it was in the live repertoire with the 20 piece band in 1972.

Post subject: The Mothers (1966-75)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:41 am 

I just bought (again) "Freak Out" on Cd...I forgot how great it is..."Motherly Love" is awesome!....And so is "Any Way The Wind Blows"...I also bought "Absolutely Free" and that jam is SCORCHING on "Invocation and Ritual Dance Of the Young Pumpkin"!!I'm blown away by it!!

How many of you out there know that Ray Collins wan't even on "WOIIFTM"? I noticed this recently...Did he leave for this album? Cause he was back for "Ruben" and "Uncle Meat".. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:59 pm 

I seldom see mention of the **** of the mothers.
I got my copy from my brother, as I played that (along with absolutely free) till wore out.
Was the **** album strictly commercial, making mention of it rare, or is it a rarity?

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:43 pm 

jojohn wrote:
I seldom see mention of the **** of the mothers.
I got my copy from my brother, as I played that (along with absolutely free) till wore out.
Was the **** album strictly commercial, making mention of it rare, or is it a rarity?

:?:

:arrow: Crummy Compilations

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:34 am 

"A lot of people don't know what to say to their friends...in the vegetable kingdom./They think:"What can i say?/Where can I go?"

"Where can I GO to get my poodle clipped in Burbank?!?"

VERY FUNNY STUFF!!...At first, I thought it was annoying when Flo and Eddie would do that, but now I love it!

The "Absolutely Free" version is really so much superior --MUSICALLY--especially coupled with "Young Pumpkin", which is just such an amazing jam! Does anyone know if that's Ian Underwood or Bunk Gardner on that clarinet or some woodwind on "Young Pumpkin"? :D :? :lol: :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:34 am 

"A lot of people don't know what to say to their friends...in the vegetable kingdom./They think:"What can i say?/Where can I go?"

"Where can I GO to get my poodle clipped in Burbank?!?"

VERY FUNNY STUFF!!...At first, I thought it was annoying when Flo and Eddie would do that, but now I love it!

The "Absolutely Free" version is really so much superior --MUSICALLY--especially coupled with "Young Pumpkin", which is just such an amazing jam! Does anyone know if that's Ian Underwood or Bunk Gardner on that clarinet or some woodwind on "Young Pumpkin"? :D :? :lol: :P