All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:18 pm 

Label on package says as follows:

CAUTION
Please exercise care
removing discs from hubs in
the package. Tolerences vary.
DO NOT USE UN DUE FORCE.

...and they weren't kidding. Just got through listening to disc 3 and guess what? I cracked disc 4. In the countless times I've removed various discs from trays, this has never happened to me. I guess I can't say I wasn't warned, but WHAT THE FUCK!!!???. So kiddies, if you manage to remove the discs from the package, don't put them back in. It's not worth the risk.

Last edited by vivalapsych on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:12 pm 

Holy shit! That's for the warning. IF.... I ever get my copy, I'll heed the ultra care advice. Sorry you found out the hard way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:28 pm 

That's terrible and thanks for the warning. I wish Zappa Records would decide on a CD tray design and stick with it. I'd prefer the standard jewel cases for single sets like on the Joe's Series, over the cheap cardboard like on OZ & ID. With a 4 Disc set at $70, they should have designed it like the Miles Davis Columbia boxes.

I can not stand that when you buy a new CD and the tray center piece is that hard solid round plastic(common on digipaks), where you're afraid you'll crack the CD because it fits so god damn tight. I'll put up with the old style with the "teeth" anyday. I have never broke one of those. Basically now the CD manufacturers are so worried about making the trays indestructable that now the CDs crack. Fuckers. And they wonder why CDs are supposedly dying out and everone's going to downloads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:40 pm 

I had a bitch of a time getting D3 out. All the others came out fairly easy
but having seen the warning on the shrink-wrap, I was extra careful. I can't even imagine how pissed I'd be if I spent $70 on something and then part of it broke. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:40 pm 

Quote:
CAUTION
Please exercise care removing discs from hubs in the package.
Tolerences vary. DO NOT USE UNDUE FORCE.

"Undue force"?

Yeah, be careful... I had a really hard time getting one of them out.

It didn't crack, but, man... hopefully it will go easier for every time you take them out to play them.
Which will be every day for the next couple of weeks... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:15 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Quote:
CAUTION
Please exercise care removing discs from hubs in the package.
Tolerences vary. DO NOT USE UNDUE FORCE.

"Undue force"?

Yeah, be careful... I had a really hard time getting one of them out.

It didn't crack, but, man... hopefully it will go easier for every time you take them out to play them.
Which will be every day for the next couple of weeks... 8)

Abso-fucking-lutely :) :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:12 am 

This is an EXCELLENT point! I had a hard time taking the CDs out. They are a LITTLE easier the second, third time etc. but why take a chance? I am going to purchase 4 of those cheap empty CD holders to store them in.

I even had a problem on the 2 cd set getting to the bottom CD - I thought I was alone until I read someone else experienced the same problem.

I have never burnt a CD yet but for the total invested on these - I think just for back up - it is the smart thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:17 pm 

My advice: Slide your forefinger underneath the cd towards the center of the disc as much as possible, then pry off gently. Works for me, maybe don't put the discs back in the package once you get them out, just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:33 pm 

At least now we know what caused the delay... printing the stickers warning consumers to be careful with their $70 box set. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:55 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:
My advice: Slide your forefinger underneath the cd towards the center of the disc as much as possible, then pry off gently. Works for me, maybe don't put the discs back in the package once you get them out, just in case.

Thanks, they're in there pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:35 pm 

Thanks, i will put it all 4cds in my pc as wma and store the originals in my file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:09 pm 

i managed to break disc 3.
A trick i discovered was to use a butter knife- lift the disc slightly with your finger, stick it up under there, and use it to put pressure on the center, right next to the offending plastic button.

heartbreaking. i'm sure disc 3 is the best one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:34 pm 

mikey--do you think any of these people who have cracked cd's will get them replaced? pretty awful to finally get it and have it break. i take it you don't want to push the offending button down even slightly to loosen the disc? i'm guessing not. i'll just put them in a new case once i get it. glad it's on it's way....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:03 am 

vaultmeister wrote:

...good advice, vaultmeister...I was really concerned when I attempted to remove the discs from their hubs...sliding your finger under and slowly prying seemed to do the trick...btw...the fillmore tracks, alone, are worth the price of this package...thanks gail :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:27 am 

i can not believe that people actually have a hard time getting CDs out of cases. Boggles the mind.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:30 am 

"....Knives and spikes, and guns and the likes of every tool of pain..."

Anyone been able to play these CDs without eighter breaking them, or scratching them up?

I guess I'll find out for myself sometime early 2007...

IB :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:35 am 

I had a dream that in the 4 cd set it was one micro-dvd ,it was in the futur and on the dvd has a game with animals. It look like it was drawn by Calvin Schenkel. So i woke-up earlier. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:41 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
... Boggles the mind.

use caution bro', they're in there tighter than shit; took me 3 minutes to get d2 out & once they're out you aren't gonna wanna put em back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:55 am 

...after all, this is the Mothers of Invention...

IB :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:08 am 

Incredible. these discs are fucking STUCK in there seriously

adding to the advice-pool -

I got them ALL out easily by PRESSING DOWN HARD on the little nub the CD sits on...while ROTATING THE CD and trying not to bend the CD too much, yet pulling it up gently at the same time

this is ridiculous!!! and to get advice from that vaultmeister to "not put the Cds back in the case is just priceless.

Oh wait - it's not -- i paid $70

BTW - Special Thanks!! to the ZFT for plugging my band project/object right on the front of the CD!!

remember - 'project/object' was a computer term before zappa used it, so it's basically public domain. But at this point - my band , having toured for over ten years with over a dozen Zappa alumni*, has fully branded that name in the music-fans' minds. people write me all the time when theyt see it on zappa.com and ZFT stuff -- so it's been an AWESOME advertising tool!! Thanks guys!!

See you all on tour -- check http://www.projectobject.com for dates.

All dates with IKE WILLIS -- one of the longest running Zappa alumni, who has been shut out of the ZPZ shows, so we have to bring him to you ourselves. Come see Zappa music "with the eyebrows" and one of the guys who performed with Frank during the peak tours of his career.

*including: Ike Willis, Ray White, Napoleon M Brock, Jimmy Carl Black, Roy Estrada, Don Preston, Mike Keneally, Ed Mann, Denny Walley, Arthur Barrow, Bunk Gardner, Bruce Bickford, Al Malkin, Thana Harris, Bob Harrris, as well as Candy Zappa and Jerry Cuccurullo.....

and plans for a few other new alumni in 2007!!! Who will the ZFT get next?? Who's left that they haven't sued, slandered or cut off??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:10 am 

Andre_C wrote:

BTW - Special Thanks!! to the ZFT for plugging my band project/object right on the front of the CD!!

hehe he
Sweet :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:57 am 

Andre_C wrote:

All dates with IKE WILLIS -- one of the longest running Zappa alumni, who has been shut out of the ZPZ shows, so we have to bring him to you ourselves. Come see Zappa music "with the eyebrows" and one of the guys who performed with Frank during the peak tours of his career.

I hope someday that they can resolve their differences. It would be cool to see Ike, Nappy, Vai and Bozzio all on stage together paying homage to a musical genious.

I put my MOFO discs into slip sleeves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:36 am 

yeah.... we'll see about that. Ike is ready - and always has been ready -- to reconcile any of Gail's imagined problems with him.

But don';t bet on it. And don';t bet on the vast majority of Zappa alumni coming to the table....unless teh ZFT eats crow, apologizes to most of them for various lame-ass treatment through the years, and pays BIG cash to get them onstage. That would rule!!

Sheesh. Slip covers. What a drag to pay fucking $70 and not be able to use the package!!! And -- it's so hard to complain 'cos we look like we are never satisfied, when all we want is honest, competent dealings with these people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:46 am 

Probably see you guys in Chicago. I'm Scott-tays buddy.

I thought I was going to break disc 2 of the set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:52 am 

This packaging is fucking ridiculous. Everything said here is right. And I tire of everyone saying that they paid $70. Did anyone pay less than $80?
A-fucking-mazing....