Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Favorite Zappa solos?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:57 pm 

I probably shouldn't have started this thread yet, because I honestly can't think of my absolute favorites right now. There are so many that come to mind. Uhhhhh... I really have to narrow down my list. But what are some of yours?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:52 am 

You know, when I first started to answer this post I thought I could put a list together, but it just got longer and longer, so I'm not doing it yet. I'm gonna go away and think about this and see if I can distil a definitive list that is not too long. This is obviously, for me anyway, not a question that I can answer on the spot. I really did start putting a list together with things like Transylvania Boogie on Chunga's Revenge, Willie The Pimp on Filmore East, Son Of Orange County on Roxy & Elsewhere, Inca Roads on One Size Fits All, Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy on Bongo Fury, RDNZL on Studio Tan, St Etienne on Jazz From Hell, but then I started checking my FZ collection for some details and soon after that the list started to flood. It really is a remarkable body of work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:30 am 

Right now, I'd say "Gee, I Like Your Pants".<br><br>I honestly get tears in my eyes when Vinnie starts to do his drumrolls, completely improvised, along with Frank's playing around the 1 minute 5 second mark.<br><br>That may very well be mankind's finest moment.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:46 pm 

Watermelon in Easter Hay, Inca Roads, Orange County Lumber Truck, the Florentine Pogen solo on the Token of His Extreme Video, Packard Goose, AND SO MANY MORE.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:54 pm 

From what I've heard (And I admit that it took Inca Roads for me to be able to appreciate his song-sandwiched solos) these are it-<br><br>1.Watermelon In The Easter Hay<br>2.Inca Roads<br>3.Hungry Freaks, Daddy (If it is indeed him)<br>4.Po-Jama People<br>5.Yo Mama<br>6.Any Kind Of Pain<br>7.Muffin-Man<br>8.Dickie's Such an Asshole.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:08 pm 

<br>*Inca Roads<br>*Music for Electric Guitar & Low Budget Orchestra<br>*Montana<br>*I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth<br>*Rat Tomago<br>*Carolina Hard-core Ecstasy<br>*Penguin in Bondage<br>*Watermelon in Easter Hay<br>*Zomby Woof<br>*RDNZL

"Wanna buy some pencils?...."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:13 pm 

Redunzl<br>Soup N Old Clothes<br>ROTSOSUNPYG<br>Baltimore (DHBIM CD version)<br><br>vcf

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:52 pm 

I honestly can't do justice to Zappa's greatest solos with a puny list, because they're innumerable. My overall favourite has to be Inca Roads, however.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:08 pm 

I have no fucking idea.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:10 pm 

Got to admit to loving 'The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution' and 'The Torture Never Stops'(Zoot Allures and YCDTOSA Vol1 versions)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:54 pm 

I love so many, but the one I'm really diggin' lately is Return Of The Son Of Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar. Just a great vibe all around.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:32 am 

[quote author=timmoggio82 link=board=albums;num=1131868624;start=15#15 date=11/19/05 at 07:08:56]couple of others nice solos i thought of is 'nine types of industrial pollution' from uncle meat, and 'get a little' from weasels.[/quote]See, this is what I mean. Every time I read this thread I am reminded of solos I need to add to my list. By the time I'm finished it'll be so big I won't be able to post it for fear of crashing the forum. Doesn't that "Get a little" solo just ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:03 am 

I really love the sound Frank got with his fretless guitar, especially on "Down in De Dew". His 12-string stylings on "The Ocean..." are amazing, too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:24 pm 

i love all the solos. At the moment i have two favorites and they are Zombie Woof from YCDTOSA Vol.1 which is absolutly fuckin ace, and theres That Ol' G Minor Thing from GUITAR which is also absolutly fuckin ace.Makes me hairs stand up an all that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:24 pm 

i love all the solos. At the moment i have two favorites and they are Zombie Woof from YCDTOSA Vol.1 which is absolutly fuckin ace, and theres That Ol' G Minor Thing from GUITAR which is also absolutly fuckin ace.Makes me hairs stand up an all that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:25 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:27 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:28 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:21 am 

1. Chunga's Revenge ('80 Mudd Club version)<br>2. Sexual Harassment in the Workplace<br>3. Any Kind of Pain<br>4. Stevie's Spanking (Rome '82)<br>5. Rat Tomago<br>6. Apostrophe (')<br>7. Filthy Habits<br>8. Zoot Allures (DHBIM version)<br>9. The Deathless Horsie<br>10. The Muffin Man<br>11. Advance Romance (Bongo Fury)<br>12. Watermelon in Easter Hay<br>13. Ancient Armaments<br>14. Inca Roads (Helsinki Concert)<br>15. Marqueson's Chicken