Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:46 am 

fuck the lot of you immsture bastards! I'm off.
I guess all zappa fans are pricks so i won't be listening to any of his sh*t anymore!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:50 am 

... cue violin sounds...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:53 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:42 am 

good god, how I hate "goodbye cruel world" posts.
If you're gonna call us all dickheads, why not just spell it out.

Sorry that your panties got in a bunch because people just threw links
at all your inane questions.

Tar-Tar
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:44 am 

I'm not perfectly happy with all the namecalling that goes on here either. I'd prefer to have more civilized dialogue as opposed to offensive images and demonizing of those who have dissenting opinions. What I find rather ridiculous here is the way some of the posters think everything FZ ever did was gold, whereas i don't think it's that possible to really like all of his albums, especially considering that Captain Beefheart, who's usually measured against FZ, had the luck of a tighter, and more succinct discography. Even if you cite the pair of Tragic Band albums, it has to be said that almost every CB fan uniformly rejects these two, often blaming the stupid record producer who manipulated him back in 1974. FZ however, was totally responsible for every single one of his most hated records (Thing Fish, Fillmore East, Francesco*) ever and these records continue to have a fairly controversial reception (as opposed to the universal disdain for the Tragic Band LPs). Not to mention, FZ considers all of his records as his own, whereas Van Vliet has disowned his tragic 1974 albums.

That said, I appreciate a lot of the folks in here. And some of the discussions are pretty good. But given that i'm less than enthusiastic for at least 50 per cent of FZ' sprawling and over-prolific discography, i am beginning to doubt whether I fit in this forum at all, that I perceive to be a meeting place for diehards. Maybe i'm more suited for Captain Beefheart fandom? Hmmm...

*These records were only listed based on what I have observed to get most of the flack from both critics and fans. My personal taste is not involved here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:00 pm 
Banned

"Fuck you too. You know what I mean, buddy? Fuck you very much."

Isaac

Anyone miss me?

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:12 pm 

Aybe Sea wrote:
I'm not perfectly happy with all the namecalling that goes on here either. I'd prefer to have more civilized dialogue as opposed to offensive images and demonizing of those who have dissenting opinions. What I find rather ridiculous here is the way some of the posters think everything FZ ever did was gold, whereas i don't think it's that possible to really like all of his albums.

All fine, we know you don't like certain albums, but do we really need to read the same stuff every single day?

I mean, you seem like a decent guy and we know you don't like Overnite Sensation, although some of your reasoning seems a bit contrived to me (There aren't enough horn solo's? You don't like backing vocals...? Zappa spawned the likes of the Bloodhound Gang? Well, whatever...). There's no need to drive your point home in almost every posting, but I guess it's a free forum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:45 pm 

Studebaker wrote:
All fine, we know you don't like certain albums, but do we really need to read the same stuff every single day?

I mean, you seem like a decent guy and we know you don't like Overnite Sensation, although some of your reasoning seems a bit contrived to me (There aren't enough horn solo's? You don't like backing vocals...? Zappa spawned the likes of the Bloodhound Gang? Well, whatever...). There's no need to drive your point home in almost every posting, but I guess it's a free forum...

I've stopped reading that "Ten Worst Moments..." thread. An interesting thread sadly turned shit, and i admit i am partly responsible for this, as I suppose i can be rather opinionated at times. I suppose I still have a long way to go in terms of learning how to assert my opinions without sounding like an "opinionated wanker" or whatever derogatory term you can coin to those whose opinionation gets too annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:45 pm 

make sure you get it right the 1st time

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:28 pm 

keenthegod wrote:
I guess all zappa fans are pricks so i won't be listening to any of his sh*t anymore!

Most people who register here just appear to like to watch. There's about 50 to 100 regular posters and a few hundred that post infrequently. So you're saying that every one of the people who actually post here is a dickhead based on only two weeks of participation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:36 pm 

I'm seeing a pattern where a new person will join the forum, be all excited about delving into Zappa's universe, and is either not aware that many of his/her items of interest and/or questions have already been addressed dozens of times on this forum, or just doesn't want to take the time to search thru the old threads, or perhaps isn't even aware that a search function is available (there is a link shown at the top of the screen which may be obvious to those familiar with this forum, but less obvious to someone new to this place).

I think the rub comes where many veterans here feel that this sort of jump-in-and-throw-out-a-topic behavior is bad forum etiquette, and they are frustrated by it. To them, it feels redundant to the extreme, and it creates that many more threads to wade through before finding something new and relevant. I can understand this frustration.

On the other hand, picture yourself entering this forum for the first time. It's pretty daunting stuff, years worth of only vaguely organized topics, and a new person may not know what to make of it all, or may feel that there is so much information that wading through it to answer a question is just too difficult and it's just easier to ask the question again. Plus, they may not be familiar with the "house rules", or forum etiquette, if you will.

So those offended by or weary of this behavior will occasionally take a jab at the newcomer. Nothing new there, it happens everyday here among the veteran posters, and as mean-spirited and petty as it can get sometime, it's really all just part of the package, and there's no real harm done. In the end, we're all here together with at least something in common. But some people might be really hurt by this, thinking "what the fuck - I was just trying to talk about FZ in an FZ forum, what's this guy’s problem?"

Just some observations to put these frustrations in perspective.

And now, let’s hear it, everybody together now…..
HEY FEET, SHUT THE FUCK UP!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:23 pm 

Isaac wrote:
"Fuck you too. You know what I mean, buddy? Fuck you very much."

Isaac

Anyone miss me?

LOL, thats pretty funny coming from you, kiddo...
Just how many times did you pull the same "fuck you, Im out of here" stunt in the past?

IB :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:27 pm 

keenthegod wrote:

Good luck in terms of staying out from this forum.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:34 pm 

Dammit, I am only 90-95% a dickhead, which blows your theory out of the water!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:55 pm 
Banned

Who you callin' dickhead, ass breath?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:29 pm 

Sometimes these episodes inspire some extremely funny ass shit though.

Goodunz jayp & jimmie d. :mrgreen:

And keenthegod, all I can say is try not to take things so seriously. There's an enormous amount of material in the Zappa catalog and for someone new to his music and it can be a daunting task (like feetlightup mentioned) to understand all of it. Pick a couple out and let them sink in then get a couple more and so on. No two albums are the same and half the fun is discovering something new.

I've been listening to this music for over 30 years and sure, talking about Hot Rats, Overnight Sensation, Joes Garage and Shiek Yerbouti all the time may get boring for long time fans but if your just discovering this music, thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:44 pm 
Banned

There is a difference between an asshole and a dickhead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:54 pm 

zombie1210 wrote:
There is a difference between an asshole and a dickhead.

I HOPE SO!!! hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:06 pm 

keenthegod wrote:

I don't mind newbies asking questions about zappa even if we have discussed the same questions 100 times already. and with the old threads being so messed up and the search function not being what it used to, I totally understand if newly joined zappa-fans make new threads instead of looking for old ones.

but, keenthegod, I have posted a link for you in at least three of the threads you have already made up. as far as I've seen, you haven't even noticed that. at least you haven't told me so.

here is the link again: http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/

click on it and you will find answers to any imaginable question you might have about frank zappa.

and when it comes to sound quality concerns, please click on this link:

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/

alright? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:16 pm 
Banned

Sounds like he's just stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:14 pm 
Banned

Idiot Bastardson wrote:
Just how many times did you pull the same "fuck you, Im out of here" stunt in the past?

None. You're thinking of someone else.

I do have periods of time where I don't use the forum, and sometimes I go out of town and don't have access to a computer for a bit, but I never go "fuck you, I'm out of here!"

Isaac

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:00 pm 

Aybe Sea wrote:
i don't think it's that possible to really like all of his albums, especially considering that Captain Beefheart, who's usually measured against FZ, had the luck of a tighter, and more succinct discography. Even if you cite the pair of Tragic Band albums, it has to be said that almost every CB fan uniformly rejects these two, often blaming the stupid record producer who manipulated him back in 1974

funny thing is, i happen to like every zappa album and not because im just some idiot who refuses to accept zappa put something bad out, i just happen to like everything... and i also like everything beefheart put out, even the tragic band albums (although not as much). funnier thing is, im pretty hard to please when it comes to music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:06 pm 

Isaac wrote:
Idiot Bastardson wrote:

None. You're thinking of someone else.

I do have periods of time where I don't use the forum, and sometimes I go out of town and don't have access to a computer for a bit, but I never go "fuck you, I'm out of here!"

Isaac

are you saying IB is wrong ?

is that what you're saying Thingfish_24 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:09 pm 
Banned

Raoul Duke wrote:
funny thing is, i happen to like every zappa album and not because im just some idiot who refuses to accept zappa put something bad out, i just happen to like everything....

Feel the same way.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:19 am 

Raoul Duke wrote:
funny thing is, i happen to like every zappa album and not because im just some idiot who refuses to accept zappa put something bad out, i just happen to like everything... and i also like everything beefheart put out, even the tragic band albums (although not as much). funnier thing is, im pretty hard to please when it comes to music.

I agree. It is also my opinion...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next