Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Which is your favorite song to listen to off of the album?
Cocaine Decisions 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
SEX 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Tink Walks Amok 12%  12%  [ 13 ]
The Radio Is Broken 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
We Are Not Alone 21%  21%  [ 23 ]
The Dangerous Kitchen 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
The Man From Utopia Meets Mary Lou 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Stick Together 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
The Jazz Discharge Party Hats 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Moggio 30%  30%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 110
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:42 am
Posts: 342
Location: Michigan
Where's the "I hate this fucking album" option for this? I don't like this album much, one of the few albums by Frank I find irritating.

_________________
Centerville...it's a real nice place to raise yer kids up!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:40 am
Posts: 2543
There's a 10 option per poll limit, so the 'I hate this album' hasn't been included, just pick the on you find least irritating!

_________________
Download my music here.

Stream my music here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:42 am
Posts: 342
Location: Michigan
Well, I mostly like Cocaine Decisions.

_________________
Centerville...it's a real nice place to raise yer kids up!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:17 am
Posts: 64
Location: Norway
If I could say that everything Frank ever did is ingenious, then perhaps I could say that this is a great album. But no. If there is one single album in the FZ canon that isn't, this is the one. But still, that's just my honest opinion. With all the respect, I can think of lots of albums that are much worse. I did listen to it and even liked it in the mid-eigthies. But now... The album is "thin" somehow, and I can't say I like it now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:42 am
Posts: 342
Location: Michigan
Bullery Butt wrote:
If I could say that everything Frank ever did is ingenious, then perhaps I could say that this is a great album. But no. If there is one single album in the FZ canon that isn't, this is the one. But still, that's just my honest opinion. With all the respect, I can think of lots of albums that are much worse. I did listen to it and even liked it in the mid-eigthies. But now... The album is "thin" somehow, and I can't say I like it now.
That's kind of a similar situation for me. I've heard worse albums in my life, but never this bad from Frank. I don't like the improvisational vocal parts. Those are just disjointed, irritating, and not funny. The rest of the songs just seem underwritten.

_________________
Centerville...it's a real nice place to raise yer kids up!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:24 am
Posts: 1165
Location: Stockholm
SonicDeath10 wrote:
Bullery Butt wrote:
If I could say that everything Frank ever did is ingenious, then perhaps I could say that this is a great album. But no. If there is one single album in the FZ canon that isn't, this is the one. But still, that's just my honest opinion. With all the respect, I can think of lots of albums that are much worse. I did listen to it and even liked it in the mid-eigthies. But now... The album is "thin" somehow, and I can't say I like it now.
That's kind of a similar situation for me. I've heard worse albums in my life, but never this bad from Frank. I don't like the improvisational vocal parts. Those are just disjointed, irritating, and not funny. The rest of the songs just seem underwritten.


This is in my top 15 zappa albums. I love it. I love it more than Drowning Witch (that's one of Zappa's worst albums IMO) and I think I even love it more than Them Or Us. I can't believe there's so many Zappa freaks who doesn't love this.

_________________
TB -


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:42 am
Posts: 342
Location: Michigan
I think it's cool that you like it. Zappa fans are a diverse bunch! I like Drowning Witch quite a bit, but don't like this one. Tell me why you do, I honestly want to hear a defense of the album, because I'm sure I can a good one. :)

_________________
Centerville...it's a real nice place to raise yer kids up!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1321
Location: Croatia, Europe
this album sucks, so vote goes for dangerous kitchen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:55 am
Posts: 404
Location: Sweden
I want to change my vote from We Are Not Alone to Moggio... I realized it's far better.

_________________
"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2243
Tinseltown_Banana wrote:
SonicDeath10 wrote:
Bullery Butt wrote:
If I could say that everything Frank ever did is ingenious, then perhaps I could say that this is a great album. But no. If there is one single album in the FZ canon that isn't, this is the one. But still, that's just my honest opinion. With all the respect, I can think of lots of albums that are much worse. I did listen to it and even liked it in the mid-eigthies. But now... The album is "thin" somehow, and I can't say I like it now.
That's kind of a similar situation for me. I've heard worse albums in my life, but never this bad from Frank. I don't like the improvisational vocal parts. Those are just disjointed, irritating, and not funny. The rest of the songs just seem underwritten.


This is in my top 15 zappa albums. I love it. I love it more than Drowning Witch (that's one of Zappa's worst albums IMO) and I think I even love it more than Them Or Us. I can't believe there's so many Zappa freaks who doesn't love this.


If you switch the placing of Them Or Us and SATLTSADW in that post, you have my sentiment. I love this album to death-- a lot of it is written in a style that I don't think Zappa ever really returned to. As such, it's valuable at least for seeing his development.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5907
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Nack Blapkin wrote:
I love the Steve Vai scat guitar stuff. It's amazing.

It's not really scat guitar. Zappa sang it and recorded it live, Vai transcribed the melody and then his playing was overdubbed on the live recording. Scat guitar is when a guitarist sings along in sync with his own playing.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:27 am
Posts: 123
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Crudblud wrote:
The Jazz Party Discharge Hats makes me laugh my head off.


hehheh. "One girl thought she was a beauty queen, the other was a walking blow-joooob!" Love it!



My favorite quote from that song:

Well, one of the guys from the band picked up her panties
(He told me later that the stuff in the bottom was like punching an eclair...)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:53 pm
Posts: 568
Location: Portugal
I love this album and I voted Tink Walks Amok. Although the Dangerous Kitchen, if it ain't one thing it's another.

Geez, I'm always editing. The way Zappa starts the Dangerous Kitchen over Deathless Horsie on YCDTOSA#1, who loves that? It's so great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: BUMP
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:40 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
Due to a forum poll limitation (10-option maximum), Luigi & The Wise Guys has been omitted from the poll. It is a cd bonus cut that was not included on the original album.

If you come to view, why not vote, too? 8)

Cocaine Decisions 3:54
SEX 3:43
Tink Walks Amok 3:38
The Radio Is Broken 5:51
We Are Not Alone 3:18
The Dangerous Kitchen 2:51
The Man From Utopia Meets Mary Lou 3:22
Stick Together 3:13
The Jazz Discharge Party Hats 4:28
Luigi & The Wise Guys 3:24 omitted from poll
Moggio 2:36

Image

You can vote for Luigi & The Wise Guys at the Bonus Cuts #1 poll, which is now up 'n' runnin'. Here's the link. 8)

http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... bonus+cuts

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1321
Location: Croatia, Europe
any particular reason why drum bass is sooooo fucking deep on cocaine decisions, sex, and other songs???
that bass rips my soul every time :mrgreen:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 204
Location: Europa
Tink Walks Amok.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 pm
Posts: 285
wow


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:56 pm
Posts: 3302
Location: Aotearoa NZ
.. it. don't. work. anymore ~

_________________
image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 7:53 am
Posts: 1119
Location: The Grape
moggio


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
The instrumentals on this album are all great especially Moggio and Tink. I like the other numbers too though I think Cocaine Decisions is pretty boring and I could have done without Luigi as a bonus track.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14769
I still don't like Luigi either. Love the rest.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:24 am
Posts: 139
Moggio makes a pretty fantastic *SPAM* if you're into that type of thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:58 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Birmingham, AL
KillUgly wrote:
The instrumentals on this album are all great especially Moggio and Tink. I like the other numbers too though I think Cocaine Decisions is pretty boring and I could have done without Luigi as a bonus track.

I don't think "Cocaine Decisions" is a bad song per se, but the studio version has a really sterile sound to it that rubs me the wrong way.

"Luigi" is just plain awful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm
Posts: 967
Location: Austin
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
the radio is broken


my fav too

_________________
Take a penny... give a shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:42 pm
Posts: 210
Location: Dwarf Nebula
SEX
Moggio
Dangerous Kitchen
Radio is Broken

really hard for me to choose, as i really love that album a lot. its pretty underrated if you ask me..

_________________
Do you think that I creep in the night
And sleep in a phone booth?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group