Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

What's your favourite song from Zoot Allures?
Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station 10%  10%  [ 14 ]
Black Napkins 34%  34%  [ 48 ]
The Torture Never Stops 12%  12%  [ 17 ]
Ms. Pinky 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Find Her Finer 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Friendly Little Finger 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Wonderful Wino 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Zoot Alures 29%  29%  [ 40 ]
Disco Boy 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 140
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:44 am 

Oh I like the album, I just rarely play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:34 am 

Thinman wrote:
Anybody who doesn't like this album has probably only heard the CD version. I recommend the original vinyl version. Will likely change your mind.

Thinman

How is it different?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:07 am 

Sonic differences.

Quote:
from http://lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/zoot_allures.html

From Pat Buzby:

Zoot Allures is ... one case I know of where the CD is inferior to the LP. It's a subjective difference, but I noticed a certain boxy quality to the CD sound that I never noticed on the album. Also, the last scream on "Torture Never Stops" is obnoxiously placed at the introduction to the next track.

From Michael Pierry:

The difference between the vinyl and the CD IS QUITE noticeable, and the CD does sound murkier. Just take a listen to "Black Napkins" for example. The guitar jumps out on the vinyl, but it doesn't on the CD. So you have to turn it WAY UP to compensate until you can't tell the difference. Extremely annoying and aggravating.

Let's just say the only reason I even like that album is because of the vinyl. Hearing "Black Napkins" was an absolutely jaw-dropping experience. It lives in a much larger, more alive space than the CD mix, which unfortunately is the same mix one experiences on the Zoot Allures tracks on Frank Zappa Plays the Music of Frank Zappa. Everytime I hear the CD I find myself checking to see if there's cottonballs in my ears. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it everytime this comes up: I barely even liked Zoot Allures until I found a vinyl copy of it. The bottom line for me is that Zappa's guitar is much more present in the LP mix. I think Keneally described the Ryko disc's sound as "wrapped in gauze" or something like that.

From David G.:

Reverb galore. Things that stand out in the original are, by comparison, buried here. I don't detect any of the right-channel problems that usually plague the 1989/90-era titles, so this might be more or less a straight transfer of the 1987 digital master (the other bad-batch titles all had older digital masters, if any existed at all).

Thinman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:57 pm 

I had to go with Black Napkins.

It was one of the very first Zappa songs I heard and I'm sure it will always be a favorite ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:51 am 
Banned

I love the grinding sound of Ms. Pinky.
It may not be the "best" song, but it's my favorite one to listen to off of the album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:33 pm 

Gas Station, Napkins, Torture, Finger, And Zoot Allures are all brilliant, and perhaps best in these performances (sometimes I'm favoring the MAJNH version of Napkins, but they're so different it doesn't really bother me). It think I gotta go with Torture, though...the mood and texture it makes are amazing, and unlike almost anything else I've ever heard. No other version of Torture is as creepy as this, I think (Zappa was almost parodying it after a while.) The guitars and bass on it remind me of Miles Davis' 'And He Loved Him Madly'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:22 pm 

For those of you people unfamiliar with da nakin...dis be da nakin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:20 am 

Ms. Pinky (with a bullet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:12 pm 

I would have to say Torture definitely. While this whole album is one of my favorite FZ albums (definitely in the top 10 for me) The Torture Never Stops really satnds out. The first time I heard it I was blown away because I came to this album pretty late in my discovery of FZ and it seemed so different from anything else.

I especially love hearing all the different live incarnations of this song and the way the solos actually take on a compositional life of their own (ie. Rat Tamago and Gorgo).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:55 pm 

Show me your thumb if your'e really dumb :wink:

Ain't It Funky Now...

http://www.last.fm/user/LaMarr_Bruister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:51 am 

Ms. Pinky
it would be torture, but i just dont understand that horrible screaming... too much of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:23 am 

Zoot Alures!

:!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:53 pm 

I agree with everyone who said that this is one of their least favorite FZ albums and I don't think the sound quality of the CD has anything to do with it either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:43 am 

Black Napkins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:31 pm 

Friendly Little Finger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:07 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
Man, this just isn't fair.
Part of me wants to vote for Zoot
The smarter part made me vote for
Black Napkins

I was gonna post a response, but Mr. Mt said it better than I would've. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:21 am 

I go with Torture

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:55 pm 

Gas Station (wind up working in a)
great layering or is it overdubing ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:10 pm 

I always thought Zoot Allures was sort of a placeholder in the Zappa canon. That's not to say it's bad, it's just one of the less important albums -- the style didn't really change all that radically, considering all the blues numbers that were all over the previous two albums. I remember when it came out it thinking it was just another Zappa album, and wasn't really blown away by it.

I've also thought that the sound quality on this album was crap. It's crap on the CD and it's crap on the vinyl at least to my ears. It's not crisp, like say Joe's Garage or You Are What You Is. And it didn't get better with the CD issues, like the lawsuit albums did. Something tells me that the vinyl wiped away a lot of synthesizer detailing, like it tends to do and FZ learned a lot what not to do with the mastering on this album, but only those around at the time could say.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:19 pm 

This is the album that got my 14 year old self hooked on Zappa in '75. I particularly remember being tickled with the Wonderful Wino lyrics about "losing control of my body functions on the Roller Headed Lady's front lawn - but I'm a Wino Man, I can't help myself". Black Napkins-classic. Zoot Allures-classic. "The Torture..." and "Disco Boy" are better than any live versions IMO. Top ten FZ in my book. Not so much of an audiophile that I can tell the difference between vinyl and cd.

I also always liked the fact that this was FZ's best example of a stripped down rock album.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:08 am 

keefycubagain wrote:
I've also thought that the sound quality on this album was crap. It's crap on the CD and it's crap on the vinyl at least to my ears. It's not crisp, like say Joe's Garage or You Are What You Is. .

Didn't Frank master the album at less quality than he ideally intended as WB had nicked the master tapes? Could be wrong but I swear I read something like this somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:55 am 

timm0 wrote:
keefycubagain wrote:
I've also thought that the sound quality on this album was crap. It's crap on the CD and it's crap on the vinyl at least to my ears. It's not crisp, like say Joe's Garage or You Are What You Is. .

Didn't Frank master the album at less quality than he ideally intended as WB had nicked the master tapes? Could be wrong but I swear I read something like this somewhere.

Back when Zappa was still doing masters away from home he made backup tapes to listen to when he was at home. I read somewhere that he ended up mastering Zoot Allures from one of these backups because of a dispute with WB. What I don't get is that he eventually got all his masters back so why wouldn't a better quality version have appeared on CD or the vinyl remasters? I haven't been able to find any background on this I can only remember snippets of stuff I read in interviews he did at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:16 pm 

Quote:
I read somewhere that he ended up mastering Zoot Allures from one of these backups because of a dispute with WB. What I don't get is that he eventually got all his masters back so why wouldn't a better quality version have appeared on CD or the vinyl remasters?

Hypothesis: Thing-Fish derived from attempts to re-record Zoot Allures rhythm-tracks.

(voted for Gas Station – has anybody else heard the rumours that Frank really OWNED some gas stations in the 70s? True or false?)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:01 pm 

Thinman wrote:
Quote:
I read somewhere that he ended up mastering Zoot Allures from one of these backups because of a dispute with WB. What I don't get is that he eventually got all his masters back so why wouldn't a better quality version have appeared on CD or the vinyl remasters?

Hypothesis: Thing-Fish derived from attempts to re-record Zoot Allures rhythm-tracks.

(voted for Gas Station – has anybody else heard the rumours that Frank really OWNED some gas stations in the 70s? True or false?)

I doubt it. All the profits went back into the business, or so I remember from an interview.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:50 pm 

It's really hard to choose, but Wonderful Wino is one of Zappa's funniest performances ever.