Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:30 am 

I nominate Hot Rats.

It's weird -- I love all the stuff before and after it (especially Uncle Meat and Burnt Weenie Sandwich), but Hot Rats just doesn't do it for me. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd album of his I bought (over 20 years ago), so it's not that I'm not sufficiently familiar with Hot Rats. It just seems ill conceived to me and ultimately rubs me the wrong way.

I find Uncle Meat and BWS to be wistful, romantic... strangely beautiful. Honestly, Hot Rats sounds harsh to my ears by contrast even though I know it's one of Frank's most popular albums.

Which album do you nominate as most overrated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:05 am 

' is the most sold and not even in my top 10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:46 am 

My vote goes to WOIIFTM it's one of his most popular but I never found what people liked in it though, I only really like two tracks on it, Mom and Dad and Idiot Bastard Son.

"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mother, your Dad, your priest, to some guy on television, to any of the people telling you how to do your shit, then you DESERVE it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:02 am 

grand_wazoo wrote:
My vote goes to WOIIFTM it's one of his most popular but I never found what people liked in it though, I only really like two tracks on it, Mom and Dad and Idiot Bastard Son.

What I like about it is that it's incredibly focused and sustained. I like the songs too, which gives me an advantage in liking this album. I think, in its way, that it's Zappa's first masterpiece. I love how he's made such a 60s sounding album that so berates the 60s ethos (even though I'm a hippie myself).

If Grand Wazoo is your favorite album then WOIIFTM will be a challenge to dig. It's not his most musical album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:50 am 
Banned

Zoot Allures. I like a few tracks alot(Napkins,Title Track, Gas Station), but overall not that impressive for FZ. I like alot of the live versions of these songs better. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:57 am 

I'd have to say Apostrophe. I've never really liked it. Some of the songs are okay in other albums, but never anything that rocks my socks off (Stinkfoot from MAJNH is a exception.)

I love Hot Rats. It's such a colorful, magical album. To me, it has the most Zappa-esque sound. It literally defines it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:18 am 

The problem with this question is that the minute I think an album's overrated, I go back and listen to it, and notice good points about it that I hadn't noticed before. So my answer here isn't absolute, but.... my personal pick for "overrated" (defineds as "most fans seem to like it a lot more than I do") is Joe's Garage. I think the concept is relatively half-assed, and there's only a few songs on there I listen to much (Catholic Girls, Crew Slut, Stick it Out, Watermelon, Packard Goose). I'll take Thing Fish over this one any day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:31 am 

feetlightup wrote:
....my personal pick for "overrated" (defineds as "most fans seem to like it a lot more than I do") is Joe's Garage. I think the concept is relatively half-assed, and there's only a few songs on there I listen to much (Catholic Girls, Crew Slut, Stick it Out, Watermelon, Packard Goose). I'll take Thing Fish over this one any day.

Excellent choice. I agree... in fact, I never ended up buying this one on CD (after owning it on vinyl way back when). It's kind of Zappa lite, IMO... popular, though. Sort of a lesser Apostrophe/Over-nite...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:29 pm 

wowie zowie; hots rats, money, apostrophe & joe's garage....definately not expected, but that's why this forum still rocks; any & all fz albums will eventually show up on any & all poll-type topics [best, worst, over-rated, under-rated, funniest, darkest, jazziest, crustiest, solo-est, skankiest, greenest, etc.]

most over-rated....hmmmmmmm; possibly ruben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:46 am 

Maybe Jazz from Hell which won him a Grammy... Most Zappa albums sound better.

From a personal point of view, I can't stand You Are What You Is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:19 am 

grand_wazoo wrote:

I disliked WOIIFTM at first because I was hopeing it would have the same feel as Uncle Meat, but now it's 40 minutes of perfection to my ears.

I will say that if you don't like Jazz From Hell then you ain't listening to the compositions for what they are, you're listening to the quality of what the Synclavier was able to produce in terms of patches at the time.

For my money 'You Are What You Is,' 'Them Or Us' and 'Thing-Fish' are the most overrated.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:20 am 

Well I have to go with feetlightup's definition. So while I like the album hot rats I have to say it is sorely overrated. It's not a bad album, but its also nowwhere near his best.

I also have to say..... Joe's Garage.... "lite" ZAPPA?!!!! Well to each their own..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:39 am 

There are a couple good songs on The Man From Utopia, but as a whole, it's one of his weaker efforts. I'm still glad I bought a copy of it, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:42 am 

I say Apostrophe too..

some great songs on there, don't get me wrong, but it when i first got it, it seemed to finish before it had even started, and didn't seem to gel too well.

i like it more now, but it still doesn't grab me in the nuts like some other zappa albums!

but i will say, Nanook Rubs It is totally groovy....those sqwarks of guitar FZ puts in to punctuate the song, love those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:03 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
wowie zowie; hots rats, money, apostrophe & joe's garage....definately not expected, but that's why this forum still rocks; any & all fz albums will eventually show up on any & all poll-type topics [best, worst, over-rated, under-rated, funniest, darkest, jazziest, crustiest, solo-est, skankiest, greenest, etc.]

most over-rated....hmmmmmmm; possibly ruben

I don't think Ruben qualifies as "overrated" because it's not rated extremely highly by most Zappa fans, which is why Hot Rats, Money, and Joe's Garage qualify... these are considered masterpieces (I consider Money a masterpiece).

It seems that Apostrophe (') and Zoot Allures get a lukewarm reception by a lot of people (me too), so those wouldn't really qualify as overrated since they are not widely rated as masterpieces either. If someone mentions Lather or Uncle Meat, I'll shit.

I should go listen to Hot Rats and Joe's Garage 20 times and see how I feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:10 am 

Some of peoples opinions are interseting to say the least. I say Hot Rats though too......People just harp on and on about it, and it gets really tiring. yes, it is a great album. But Zappa made lots of great albums.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:58 am 

suterb wrote:
There are a couple good songs on The Man From Utopia, but as a whole, it's one of his weaker efforts. I'm still glad I bought a copy of it, though.

I agree. A couple of awful songs let it down; i do love sex, cocaine decisions and the instrumentals though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:57 am 

feetlightup wrote:
The problem with this question is that the minute I think an album's overrated, I go back and listen to it, and notice good points about it that I hadn't noticed before. So my answer here isn't absolute, but.... my personal pick for "overrated" (defineds as "most fans seem to like it a lot more than I do") is Joe's Garage. I think the concept is relatively half-assed, and there's only a few songs on there I listen to much (Catholic Girls, Crew Slut, Stick it Out, Watermelon, Packard Goose). I'll take Thing Fish over this one any day.

You sir, are wrong. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:58 am 

it's good, but overrated. T'Mershi > Dog Meat is worth the price of the whole album though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:44 am 

suterb wrote:

I agree with your statment but I think so does everyone else so I don't think it qualifies as overrated seeing as everyone rates it as one of his weaker effrots. this is IMO of course.

Post subject: Overrated
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:58 am 

i hate to say ths, but Thing-Fish is my choice. He recycled a number of songs that were good in other forms, changed some words to make what is essentially a confused statement on race relations -

And the bit about fucking the briefcase - pleeeeez!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:33 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
feetlightup wrote:

You sir, are wrong. :wink:

Hey Feets, I'm happy to be wrong with you. But, come on Billy, there's no room for the word "wrong" here. Similar to what Papa says about Hot Rats, ever since I've been cruising this forum, I've been surprised about how many people think Joe's Garage is one of Zappa's best. I've never thought it was, so I think that qualifies it as overrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:50 pm 

Frank Zappa and the term overrated NEVER belong in the same sentence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:01 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

Yeah, because of the concept of the BIG NOTE the question is irrelevant imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:32 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

I agree completely. That's why I was careful to redefine the word in my reply. Really, every release has plenty to love. He never put out "crap" or mere "product" EVER.