Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:27 am 

Who likes this?

I'm listening to it right now, and I'm blown away! Maybe not a lot of people will agree with me here, but I like it much more than the Yellow Shark. It's really calm and intimate, the compositions just stick inside my head...I thought I had Zappa all figured out, in terms of what I could expect from his music, this shut me right up. :roll:

Post your thoughts on it please

Absolute fave: Nap Time (that humm in the back, I could listen to it forever, and that woman's voice...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:34 pm 

You're not alone. I too prefer this to TYS. It's looser and even kind of improv-oriented, not to mention accessible, even more fun. It's hard to grasp the rigid atonality and the lack of insistent beat (as opposed to EIHN's 9/8 Objects for example) on a lot of those Yellow Shark numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:17 pm 

I love Zappa's classical music, and I really only LOVE a few pieces on here-- obviously 'Roland's', '9/8', 'Nap Time', 'Naked City', etc. I much perfer the pieces on the Yellow Shark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:52 pm 

Gotta love 9/8. (and Amnerika Goes Home for that matter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:46 pm 

Hard to listen to for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:36 pm 

Great album. I listen to alot of new / contemporary classical, and nearly 15 years on, EIHN still blows the shit out of most things out there, and stands up even in todays environment as a great, original contemporary classical album. I agree with you guys, its alot less straight and more improv based then TYS, which adds to its charm for sure....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:46 pm 

to use an old cliche: worth getting for 'roland's big event/strat vindaloo' alone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:02 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
You're not alone. I too prefer this to TYS. It's looser and even kind of improv-oriented, not to mention accessible, even more fun. It's hard to grasp the rigid atonality and the lack of insistent beat (as opposed to EIHN's 9/8 Objects for example) on a lot of those Yellow Shark numbers.

Exactly! And it's the first time I see the Ensemble Modern and Zappa just like it's one of his previous bands, getting along and doing stuff that's unique. Just a little more unique this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:46 pm 

Listened to this again straight through, inspired by this thread. Much better than I remembered! I still don't like the opener- 'Library Card' -- which is probably why I didn't like the album on first hearing. 9/8 objects is priceless, 'This Is A Test' is obviously referencing Stravinsky, musically as well as in name, 'Naked City' reminds me so much of Toru Takemitsu that it's really uncanny. 'Nap Time' is a great piece, but I doubt Frank himself would have released. 'T'Mershi Duween' was good up until the ' What Will Rumi Do?' section, which was a MESS here. I know it's a rehearsal, so It obviously doesn't rub off badly on them, but...sheesh! Master Ringo is so much better than 'Library Card' it's not funny. I'm about halfway through 'Naked City'. so I don't really have opinions on the other tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:27 am 

RUI wrote:
...I thought I had Zappa all figured out, in terms of what I could expect from his music :roll:

Post your thoughts on it please

Absolute fave: Nap Time (that humm in the back, I could listen to it forever, and that woman's voice...)

I'm not trying to be rude here but I find that an odd statement, to me I like Franks music because I can't figure it out even after 20 odd years. I love his guitar but I don't know why?
This albums still in the mail, it should be here next week fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:57 am 
Banned

RUI wrote:
Who likes this?

Check out these two forum polls to find out......... 8)

http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12507

http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12508

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:14 am 

otto wrote:
I'm not trying to be rude here but I find that an odd statement, to me I like Franks music because I can't figure it out even after 20 odd years. I love his guitar but I don't know why?

Yeah, same here. But I was talking about how I thought I had a general idea of what Zappa did throughout the years, and I thought I knew what to expect from his classical ensembles because I'd heard most of it. I get blown away much as you do. :roll:

Now let's check those polls out

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:46 am 

RUI wrote:
Yeah, same here. But I was talking about how I thought I had a general idea of what Zappa did throughout the years, and I thought I knew what to expect from his classical ensembles because I'd heard most of it. I get blown away much as you do. :roll:

Now let's check those polls out

I'm waiting for this to come in the mail, is it anything like the doco "Yellow Shark Rehersals" which I love. Ahhh the wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:53 am 

I think people have summed it up pretty good here. It's really representative of the relationship between Zappa and the band, they're having a good time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm 

One of the great things about this forum is that somebody will mention an album that I haven't played in awhile and the responses prompt me to get it out give it a spin. Such is the case with EIHN, which I played last night and this morning.

My favorites from this album are T'Mershi Duween and 9/8 Objects.

I agree with FeralCats about Library Card- it doesn't do anything for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:11 am 

I might buy this, since Buffalo is sold out again. With these:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:15 am 

EIHN is one of those albums which I know that I like, although I don't listen to it much. It's been in my collection for about five years, and I've listened to the whole thing maybe four or five times + RBE/Strat Vindaloo, Nap Time and some other favourites a bit more.

But I'm very aware of looking forward to that special hour some time in the future when I have the calm concentration and resolve to listen to the whole thing again with full attention to every detail!