Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:44 pm 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
??? Can anyone tell me why I can get FZ releases for 50% less from places like Amazon or Djangos than I can from Barfko-Swill?  Everytime I buy from B-S, I feel like a unwilling contributor to the Democratic Party. ::)<br><br>I just paid $11/ea for Tinseltown and Ship Arriving;   $13/ea for YRWYI.  Oh, did I mention free shipping? :o<br><br>Wuzup w/ dat? :-/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:23 am 

Totally agree!<br><br>I bought the other day "Roxy & Elsewhere", ycdtosa vol 4 for $15.99 each, and "we're only in it for the money", "the mystery disc" $8.99 each (they were used)<br><br>The cheapest place I found is Best Buy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:13 am 

I can beat that! I got Broadway.....for free! it all goes to show that if you are a frequent customer and befriend the merchant, you are privy to all sorts of bargains! Most Fz releses cost $19.99 Canadian so what's that $0.5 cents American?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:15 am 

The picture that I get is that Barfko Swill is a complete cottage industry.  My copy of the Dub Room Special has a dot matrix printed label (were they all like that?).<br><br>This means that since GZ doesn't own the plant that makes the boxes, the envelopes, etc. etc. that she sends it on home to you in, she's got to get it from someone else, and this means a higher price.   <br><br>She's got to purchase all of the materials herself to make the cottage industry what it is, and the warehouse isn't that big if it's the same one pictured in Baby Snakes, so she can't buy 100,000 boxes like online retailer of your choice can.  She's got to figure in the bag to send it to us in, and the cost to her for the actual shipping.  She's a victim to supplies being backordered, so any of them are, our orders are delayed.  <br><br>I was floored to find that she'd sent FZ:OZ via UPS and required a signature.  I also noticed that she'd slipped in a thanks note signed in ballpoint (and you can see the indention on the back and the ballpoint smear on mine -- it rubbed off on the inside of the pocket during shipment).  This is a fair bit that she took care of the shrinking as well, and that costs quite a bit of money.   When I think about all the work she does to provide us with that kind of care, I tend to forgive that it was five months ago you preordered FZ:OZ .... as I remember Dub Room Special took 3 months.  I wish there were more like her rather than that impersonal Amazon shit.<br><br>But because I do this sort of stuff myself (I rotate my record collection via my website) I can understand why she charges what she does, and at some point I intend to get some more stuff from her.  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:11 am 

<br>[quote author=keefycub link=board=albums&num=1030689855&start=0#3 date=08/30/02 at 12:15:10]<br>The picture that I get is that Barfko Swill is a complete cottage industry.  My copy of the Dub Room Special has a dot matrix printed label (were they all like that?).<br><br>This means that since GZ doesn't own the plant that makes the boxes, the envelopes, etc. etc. that she sends it on home to you in, she's got to get it from someone else, and this means a higher price.   <br><br>She's got to purchase all of the materials herself to make the cottage industry what it is, and the warehouse isn't that big if it's the same one pictured in Baby Snakes, so she can't buy 100,000 boxes like online retailer of your choice can.  She's got to figure in the bag to send it to us in, and the cost to her for the actual shipping.  She's a victim to supplies being backordered, so any of them are, our orders are delayed.  <br><br>I was floored to find that she'd sent FZ:OZ via UPS and required a signature.  I also noticed that she'd slipped in a thanks note signed in ballpoint (and you can see the indention on the back and the ballpoint smear on mine -- it rubbed off on the inside of the pocket during shipment).  This is a fair bit that she took care of the shrinking as well, and that costs quite a bit of money.   When I think about all the work she does to provide us with that kind of care, I tend to forgive that it was five months ago you preordered FZ:OZ .... as I remember Dub Room Special took 3 months.  I wish there were more like her rather than that impersonal Amazon shit.<br><br>But because I do this sort of stuff myself (I rotate my record collection via my website) I can understand why she charges what she does, and at some point I intend to get some more stuff from her.  <br>[/quote]<br><br>Very good points, my friend, but business is business.  Mabey Gail outta take a look at the Grateful Dead Business Model.  The Dead are very personal while offering Value and Quality.  The "Dick's Picks" series is probably the greatest thing that could happen to deadheads, and I dont' think I paid more than $24.00 for a release.  By the way, that was a four CD set!  What is the difference between live Dead tapes and FZ tapes?  What's the difference in how they are put together for the final product?  I'll tell you the difference; Management.<br><br>The mental image of Gail Zappa slaving away, stuffing and licking envelopes to get the music out to the fans is almost unbearable.  I honestly think that these people should stop fucking around and get serious with Frank's Legacy.  Let me in there and I'll make everybody alot money AND keep the fans happy and wanting more!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:24 am 

[quote author=drooling_savant link=board=albums&num=1030689855&start=0#4 date=08/30/02 at 13:11:03]<br>What is the difference between live Dead tapes and FZ tapes?  What's the difference in how they are put together for the final product?  I'll tell you the difference; Management.<br><br>stop fucking around and get serious with Frank's Legacy.  Let me in there and I'll make everybody alot money AND keep the fans happy and wanting more!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Drooling SAVANT for President!<br>GLASSES FOR CHEESE!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:32 am 

[quote author=Some_Kind_of_Chees link=board=albums&num=1030689855&start=0#5 date=08/30/02 at 13:24:47]<br><br><br>Drooling Servant for President!<br>[/quote]<br><br> 8)  That's got a nice ring to it.  Thanks.  <br><br>By the way, that's Savant, not Servant.  ::)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:13 am 

I'm hesitant to buy anything from barfko-swill (I still havent gotten everything is healing nicely yet) just because I don't want any of my money going to the Democratic Party

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:16 pm 

<br>[quote author=gregk link=board=albums&num=1030689855&start=0#7 date=08/30/02 at 14:13:20]<br>I'm hesitant to buy anything from barfko-swill (I still havent gotten everything is healing nicely yet) just because I don't want any of my money going to the Democratic Party<br>[/quote]<br><br>Cheezy is as cheezy does!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:10 am 

I would like to know if one person was stupid enough to pay $20 for Cheap Thrills through Barfko. Why even sell them? That just looks real bad. Most of the single ones you can get for around $12, doubles around $18-20(YCDTOSA!) in stores.<br><br>The best deals I got on discs through Barfko were when they had the original BP/Ryko discs for sale. Some were way overpriced(Yellow Shark, Playground Psychotics), but I got ZINY, Best Band, & Jazz Noise all for around $18 a piece. I still have them, and never bought the '95 versions, since there wasn't much difference in sound quality on those. <br><br> The Best Band disc was the plain black cover one. I sold it after I found the original one with the band photo on the front sealed in longbox!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:01 am 

Try to find the Apostophe/Overnite Sensation.  <br>Also WOIIFTM/Lumpy Gravy.<br><br>Those were cool deals that just kinda disapeared.<br><br>Stop wasting time with meaningless compilation releases (zappa picks) and kick down Uncle's Meat!   ;)<br><br>WE WANT LIVE FZ!<br>WE WANT FZ-DVD!<br>WE WANT RESONABLE PRICES!<br>FZ MUSIC IS THE BEST!<br>HEY ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST, TRUST IN FRANK!<br>