Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:59 am 

Son Of Cheep Thrills, April 2001. My sister had Cheep Thrills and I wanted to have my own Zappa album at the time since I was listening to Primus's influences. Back in the day I was a diehard Primus fan. Now the Primus-fan has died (it's what you get for announcing a new album for a year and then making it a fuckin' compilation). And now I own every Zappa album up to and including CP3, quite a few official ones from after that, and a few bootlegs and tape trades, ten FZ books, 5 Dweezil albums and Shampoohorn, 9 FZ DVDs and one VHS. I have seen ZPZ live six times, twice with VIP ticket, and I nearly got to drink something with the band after the concert earlier this year but I had to go home. I did get my picture taken with Dweezil, have three DZ signatures and one guitar pick. I went to see a Frank Zappa documentary by Frank Scheffer when it was in cinema in 2002.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:55 pm 

Roxy and Elsewhere.

Penguin in bondage, dummy up, cheepnis, echindas arf, more trouble everyday

i fell in love right away

then i bought those zappa 3 paks [hots rats, grand wazoo, W/J] and [freak out, absolutely free, we're only in it for the $$]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:52 am 

Only in it for the Money second hand on vinyl. Then Hot Rats and then back to the beginning. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:15 pm 

I was introduced to FZ in the early 70s at an early age (I was born in '68) by my Dad's copy of the old compilation Zappéd. That creepy freakin picture on the cover scared me when I was a little kid, and the tracks on the album (Beefheart, Wild Man Fischer, the guy that did the train station sounds...) completely twisted my little brain. A little later I realized my old man also had Roxy and JABFLA. I have been captivated by FZ's music ever since. First albums I actually bought were Ship Arriving too Late, Sheik Yerbouti and Joe's Garage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:34 pm 

32shortfilms wrote:
One Size Fits All on vinyl, well, of course it was on vinyl, it was 1974.

one size fits all would have been 75, not 74, of course still on vinyl:-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:12 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:50 am 

Freak Out on vinyl 1966!
After that, I've bought all, and I mean all (exept Old Masters, Vol 2 and Vol 3) official albums on vinyl. When the CD's came, I bought all releases on that media too, from Freak Out up to the last (so far)release Hammersmith Odeon. I'm not interested in Downloads, so....none of them. Quite a lot, especially when I have the CD's in at least two (one still sealed) copies per titel. So, I wonder what's next, only Gail (and the rest of Zappa Family Trust) knows - I'm waiting!
Cheers/
T_U

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:56 am 

Freak Out 1966, and all other official since then!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:47 pm 

Bought WOIIFTM first.

I heard Overnight Sensation & Bongo Fury ( in that order) first.

No regrets.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:18 pm 

The Fillmore album and have been a huge fan of that band for so many years and to have the new Carnegie Hall 4 disc set coming in the post next week is just the best news all year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:32 am 

Hot Rats (CD Remix).

Friend loaned it me when 16-17 and couldn't get into it hugely though found it interesting but something must of registered as re-sought out several years later from a more mature and open-minded standing and immediately 'got' it 8) . Precipitated the first leg of my Zappa exploration that culminated, chronologically, in Joe's Garage (all acts). Now came back to again and am connecting with his output even more and have explored most of music preceding Guitar, as well as revisting old stuff from a better standing. :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:09 pm 

Either Absolutely Free or WOIIFTM. I think the latter. They blew me away, way back then in 67-68. Yeah, I'm that old. What's it to ya? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:12 pm 

Uncle Meat in '69. I ghost wrote a paper for a buddy, made up all the references in the bibliography and he got a B. For that he gave me UM and a Verve compilation, The *** Of The Mothers, and I was hooked for life at 15 years old.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:48 pm 

Gorgo wrote:

I ordered Freak-Out at the local music store and they got AB 1 week later figuring my allowence wouldn't stretch enough to cover a double album.I was almost 13 and ready to nasty on the White House lawn! :shock: I know every word and sing along everytime I put it on. 8) :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:11 pm 

The very first one was a gift from my uncle who was working for MGM at the time. The album was The **** of the Mothers. It still has a sticker on it that reads "DJ not for sale". One of my favourite cuts on that album is Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin. Was that song ever rereleased on another album? A few months later her arrived with Mothermania. Who could imagine, that they would freak out somewhere, in Montreal Quebec?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:24 pm 

Roxy and Elsewhere on vinyl, 1974, then bought tickets to see him live, New Years Eve 1974/75 at Long Beach Arena,CA.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:29 pm 

That goes back a few years. My Uncle Johnny from New Jersey came for a visit probably in 1969 or 1970. He was with MGM in NYC at the time. He brought me The **** of The Mothers. It must have been an early pressing as the jacket has a "DJ-Not For Sale" sticker on it. A few months later he showed up with Mothermania. I think my first actual purchase was Hot Rats. After that there was no looking back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 am 

My Uncle Johnny was working for MGM in NYC in the '60's. He arrived for a visit one day with a gift for me. The **** of the Mothers. Not sure what year that would have been. The album has a sticker on it that reads "DJ-Not for Sale". Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin is a great tune. Flower Punk is another winner. A few months later Uncle Johnny showed up with Mothermania. After that there was no looking back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:00 am 

vinylfan wrote:
The very first one was a gift from my uncle who was working for MGM at the time. The album was The **** of the Mothers. It still has a sticker on it that reads "DJ not for sale". One of my favourite cuts on that album is Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin. Was that song ever rereleased on another album? A few months later her arrived with Mothermania. Who could imagine, that they would freak out somewhere, in Montreal Quebec?

vinylfan wrote:
That goes back a few years. My Uncle Johnny from New Jersey came for a visit probably in 1969 or 1970. He was with MGM in NYC at the time. He brought me The **** of The Mothers. It must have been an early pressing as the jacket has a "DJ-Not For Sale" sticker on it. A few months later he showed up with Mothermania. I think my first actual purchase was Hot Rats. After that there was no looking back.
vinylfan wrote:
My Uncle Johnny was working for MGM in NYC in the '60's. He arrived for a visit one day with a gift for me. The **** of the Mothers. Not sure what year that would have been. The album has a sticker on it that reads "DJ-Not for Sale". Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin is a great tune. Flower Punk is another winner. A few months later Uncle Johnny showed up with Mothermania. After that there was no looking back.

Variations on a basic theme or did the record skip? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:53 pm 

Neither. I suppose the system held them them up pending my membership becoming Fully Active. As the days and weeks went by I assumed the system had nuked my post, so I wrote it again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:16 pm 

vinylfan wrote:
Neither. I suppose the system held them them up pending my membership becoming Fully Active. As the days and weeks went by I assumed the system had nuked my post, so I wrote it again.

It's crystal clear now.The activation blues.Wecome aboard vinylfan,have fun,live long and prosper! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:13 pm 

uncle meat when it came out then hot rats then the rest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:07 am 

I bought Studio Tan on vinyl. Wasn't that long ago either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:06 pm 

Joe's Garage on vinyl (vol. 1) in 1984. My friend's dad had a copy and when we were around 10 years old we used to listen to wet t-shirt nite because we thought it was funny. then when we were a little older we realized what incredible musicians were playing on the record, and so began a lifelong love for Frank's music, and a collection of well over 100 releases.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:44 pm 

Joe's Garage, Double CD.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next