Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New to Zappa...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:08 pm 

I'm pretty new to Zappa, (and younger than most FZ fans) and I've only gotten four of his albums so far. (We're Only in it For The Money, Apostrophe, Absolutely Free, and Weasels Ripped My Flesh)<br><br>I'm wondering what the absolutely essential Zappa albums are, after those... If you had to have those albums, and only five other FZ albums, what would the other five be?  I don't really know any one else who likes him (most of the people I know have pretty crappy taste in music), so your help would really be appreciated... (note: I really have no preference, I like experimental rock, jazz, etc)

Post subject: Re: New to Zappa...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:08 am 

I'm not much further down the line than you, with only 12 albums so far (and none of the four you've got).  But from those I recommend for your next moves:<br><br>Sheik Yerbouti             (sheer variety of musical and lyrical ideas)<br>You Are What You Is   (even sheerer variety of the above)<br>Hot Rats                      (rock-jazz fusion)<br>The Grand Wazoo       (jazz-rock fusion)<br>Overnite Sensation     (just great straight rock)<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:56 am 

Welcome Torgo.<br><br>He hears his masters voice  ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:58 pm 

Thank you all very much for the recommendations and welcomes... It's really been helpful, and I think I'll make my decision about my next Zappa albums soon.. I really thought people considered Absolutely Free to be one of the essentials... I guess not.  I kind of regret getting WRMF as a first... Not that I don't like it, but I don't think it's as good as the others. (But it has a great cover) I've also heard the vinyl Bongo Fury, and it's probably one of my favorites. <br><br>[quote author=sir_galoot link=board=albums&num=1035785297&start=0#5 date=10/28/02 at 04:56:27]<br>Welcome Torgo.<br><br>He hears his masters voice  ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br>InDeEd...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:05 pm 

how old are you, torgo, because im also younger than most of the guys on here. I'm 13.<br><br>anyway, i got started on the money album so that was for sure a good choice. But your next buy should probably be hot rats. I think that is the over-all best, musically, FZ album. It's also what showed me that FZ was more then a witty guitar player, but a genious and more eclectic composer. And call me an undedicated FZ fan if you will but I don't really dig the noise songs like "nasal retentive caliope music" and Hot Rats doesn't really have any of that.<br><br><br>O ya, i forgot, welcome to the zappa forum! ;)

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enfroced

my msn messanger email is elemeno_peep@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:17 pm 

With the money that I had, I just got Hot Rats and One Size Fits All... I also ordered Roxy And Elsewhere. (And to all of the Residents fans here, I also got Duck Stab/Buster and Glen)<br><br>[quote author=food link=board=albums;num=1035785297;start=0#8 date=10/29/02 at 20:05:40]how old are you, torgo, because im also younger than most of the guys on here. I'm 13.[/quote]<br><br>I'm 13 too, actually...<br><br>
Quote:
I'm serious, the notion of buying only a few just doesn't compute.
<br><br>I'm definitely going to get more than a few... But for now, I don't think I'll be able to get them all.. some day, hopefully... <br><br>Oh, and I did like all of Money...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:28 pm 

Excellent choice, Torgo! (that Residents-album too). I got into FZ when I was about your age (man.. I sound like an old bat now, but that was ten years ago...) and you'll enjoy them for years to come. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:50 am 

Probably the best way to start exploring the ever widening and expanding Zappa universe, is to buy the following album:<br><br>Strictly Commercial-The Best Of Frank Zappa<br>this album should be available just about everywhere, and it's a great starting point.<br><br>All the songs on this album are great, and the albums from wich the songs are pulled are therefore recomendable for purchase...<br><br>Other album's for ''newbies'' are:<br><br>Cheap Thrills<br>and The Son Of Cheep Thrills<br><br>This are 2 discs that both contain studio and live songs from various era's of Zappa's career.<br>Since these albums are both (supposed to be) cheap, they are also a nice way to begin exploring the man's music.<br>Once you do, there's no turning back and you will be hooked for life....you are warned.<br><br>Hope this helped, and see you around on this Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 7:59 am 

Hello...., the secret word for tonight is.... ;D<br><br>1. Overnite Sensation (LP)<br>2. One Size Fits All (LP)<br>3. Sheik Yerbouti (LP)<br>4. Roxy & Elsewere (LP)<br>5. The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (only CD)<br><br>and many many more  :-*<br><br>Norman<br>from Frankfurt Germany. I hear the music from Zappa since 25 years, I (and my girlfriend!! :P) love it und he makes great music  :-*<br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:30 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1035785297;start=15#16 date=11/03/02 at 02:01:55]<br><br>OMG, food. You're 13, and your sig is "nice shoes. wanna fuck?"<br><br>No bout adoubt it... you're my HERO! I'm 40, and I was never that cool....<br><br>by the way... um.... don't tell your mom we had this little conversation, ok?[/quote]<br><br><br>haha. thanks mentalflosstycoon. your not too bad yourself ;)<br>

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enfroced

my msn messanger email is elemeno_peep@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:03 am 

Well Torgo, that's a nice music choice you got.  I thought I was a young Zappa listener with 25, but you did me see I'm older than I think I am (no offence).  ;) <br><br>Roxy & Elsewhere is one of my favorites, just like Broadway the Hardway & Just another Band from LA.  But if you want to know FZ much better, i will give you the tip to buy some of his old stuff (Freak out! f.e.) some of his jazz (Grand Wazoo), classical period & something newer ('88 ).  Good luck & bring your friends into the music of Zappa & the Residents! They won't regret...<br>(if you want to buy some more Residents: The 3rd reich n roll and God in 3 persons are fantastic!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:24 am 

[quote author=fragile link=board=albums;num=1035785297;start=15#21 date=11/06/02 at 13:03:27]Roxy & Elsewhere is one of my favorites, just like Broadway the Hardway <br>(if you want to buy some more Residents: The 3rd reich n roll and God in 3 persons are fantastic!)[/quote]<br>In full agreement!<br><br>new fans: go check out ROXY & ELSEWHERE (just great plain live-rock, great vibe to it, funny and everything), and BROADWAY THE HARD WAY (more carnavalesk).  <br>Hurry.<br><br>It feels so good that via this board we fans can help other less experienced fans... <br>Zappa fans unite!