Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Acoustic Zappa
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:47 pm 

FZ plays also acoustic guitar on "It Just Might Be A One Shot Deal".

BTW, I think those "acoustic wah" sounding guitars (Aybe Sea, Toads, Blessed Relief and more recently, "Läther" aka "Cum In Your Mouth") are in fact highly likely electric guitars through wah pedals that are specifically recorded to sound more "acoustic". I could swear someone once posted about a dude who could successfully replicate the "Grand Wazoo" pseudo-acoustic solo with an electric, but I don't remember what trickery was used.

EDIT: Found the instruction how to mimic the GW guitar solo sound, too bad the file is dead now.

Quote:
The trick is pretty simple. Pick your ELECTRIC guitar, plug it in a clean amp (when I say "clean amp" I mean on the "clean chanel", mine is a crappy Behringer, no hi-end gear). Of course don't forget to plug the crappiest wah-wah you'll find between the guitar and the amp. Mine is a basic Cry-Baby (not vintage at all). Mike the amp.

Then, take another mike (condenser if you can) far enough from the amp so this other mike won't pick the amp sound too much. Use this second mike to pick the sound of the guitar strings (like you'd do with an acoustic).
Plug the mikes in two separate inputs of your favorite recording gear (duh !!)
Then, send the result in a Leslie Cab (you can find good freeware plugin simulation on every corner of the net) and add a bit of reverb ...

It's better if you can do it with a hollowbody (Gibson style) guitar, so the sound picked by the condenser mike near the guitar is more "acoustic". But I tried it on a strat, it works too.
For "live only" geeks, sorry, this trick is studio-oriented only ...

Well, studio-orientation it may well be, but is the "Cum In Your Mouth" solo done live or overdubbed? If it's live, then FZ must've found a way to replicate this sound onstage, or maybe he knew a way how to manipulate a live guitar track into sounding "acoustic"?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:26 am 

squidbass wrote:
Blessed Relief is played on an acoustic which had a pickup over the soundhole, iirc. It still sounds acoustic even though it's run thru a wah. Great stuff...

squidbass
Yes probably a Ovation semi Acoustic piezo where the pick-up is under the bridge,with added Magnetic pick up on sound hole that would make scene best of both worlds Wah Wah plugged into Piezo,True Acoustics from the Sound hole :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:30 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Well, studio-orientation it may well be, but is the "Cum In Your Mouth" solo done live or overdubbed? If it's live, then FZ must've found a way to replicate this sound onstage, or maybe he knew a way how to manipulate a live guitar track into sounding "acoustic"?

It is live. Let's not forget he also used an acoustic sound for many of the 88 tour solos.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:38 am 

pbuzby wrote:

It is live. Let's not forget he also used an acoustic sound for many of the 88 tour solos.

Lather title track is from live in New York that album as overdubs though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:49 am 

What I suspect though, is that the overdubs concern beefing up the sound, rather than replacing improvised solos (except perhaps adding a guitar solo in lieu of a boring percussion solo somewhere or something like that), so for the most part I'm confident that Pat is correct.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:02 am 

FZ's solo is there on the audience tapes from the New York shows. In fact as far as I know there are no overdubs on "I Promise"/"Lather." (Trivia: the ZINY CD has the full guitar solo from December 27, but on Lather and the ZINY LP, the ending of the solo is edited in from December 29.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:11 am 

pbuzby wrote:

Looks like there's even an explanation at Society Pages 88 interview for it:
Quote:
Q: The clean sound that you use now, was that from the Synclavier?

FZ: No. That was done with a device called a Roland GP-8. The guitar goes into that and the GP-8 is fed directly back into the PA system and then mixed with that is the sound of the strings all by themselves.

So FZ definitely got the electro-acoustic sound by mixing in the sound of the strings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:50 am 

Yeah in 88 which has nothing too do with 1976 :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:58 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyrsiIK7rBE Here is a video of Frank playing Acoustic Guitar while Norman Gunston plays harmonica.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:24 pm 

meanea wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyrsiIK7rBE Here is a video of Frank playing Acoustic Guitar while Norman Gunston plays harmonica.

Now I know what Uncle Bernie's avatar means! Funny guy and FZ for his straight man. Haha Terrific fun! Thanks,meanea. :lol: 8)