Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Roxy & Elsewhere
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:03 am 

According to the discography on the live Roxy & Elsewhere CD, it says that a few of the songs were recorded at the Edinboro State College concert in Edinboro, PA on May 8, 1974.  Does anyone know which sets from Roxy & Elsewhere were recorded at the Edinboro concert?  Thanks!<br><br>beatnik

Post subject: Re: Roxy & Elsewhere
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:04 am 

Son of Orange County and More trouble every day are edited versions from the Edinboro show.<br>I believe the solo in Penguin is not from the Roxy show too. <br><br>I love R&E, it would be the first choice if someone asks me for his first FZ to buy, but I preferred if it was only taken from the Roxy performances or at least that the Elsewhere part was from another venue but in the same tour. <br>The guitar opening of Son of OC (which I like!!) sounds like it was somebody else playing if you compare it to the Roxy sound...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:28 am 

Thanks for the info!!  I was fortunate enough to be at the Edinboro homecoming concert, it was SRO.  I have a lot of great memories from the concert, but one in particular stands out. Jeff Simmons was in the middle of a really wicked guitar solo when he slowly began to lean backwards until he finally fell flat on his back with nothing at all to break his fall.  But the amazing thing was he never missed a note the entire time and continued to wail away on his guitar while lying on the stage.  Great oogly boogly, it was one helluva concert!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:52 am 

Roxy and Elsewhere is such an amazing album. I've burnt out my Ryko version already! Wish I had been alive in 74 to see them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:33 pm 

R&E is my favorite FZ live album. Right there with ZINY and Make a Jazz Noise here. I wish the two Elsewhere tracks could be replacd by Roxy version of "Dickie's Such an Asshole" on YCDTOSA vol.3 Disc2. It's great as is, though.