Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Which is your favorite song to listen to from the album?
Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me? 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
The Illinois Enema Bandit 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Lonely Little Girl 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chunga's Revenge 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
Zoot Allures 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:52 pm 
Banned

If you come to view, why not vote, too? 8)

Recorded in concert at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia on 1 November 1975. It features FZ (guitar and vocals), Norma Jean Bell (alto saxophone and vocals), Napoleon Murphy Brock (tenor saxophone and vocals), Andre Lewis (keyboards and vocals), Roy Estrada (bass and vocals), Terry Bozzio (drums).

The album first germinated when Frank gave fan Ole Lysgaard several cassette tapes, including this one, in 1978. In 2004, Lysgaard sent the tapes to Gail, and she decided to release the 1975 music, which was restored and mastered by John Polito. "A thrilling example from a less documented line-up," she says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:47 pm 

OKAY! So I haven't actually heard it. But they e-mailed me that it is in the mail, and, after all, I know what I like. (and I like what I know.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:12 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
OKAY! So I haven't actually heard it. But they e-mailed me that it is in the mail, and, after all, I know what I like. (and I like what I know.)

To paraphrase: "I don't know much about "Joe's Menage", but I KNOW WHAT I LIKE!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:34 pm 

I hope it's even better than the OZ album. Hopefully one can look forward to an impassioned alto sax solo or two on the longer numbers. Someone, while reviewing one of the Fall 1975 era tapes, compared Bell's sax soloing to that of Ian Underwood. Promising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:03 am 

So I guess there is little else to do but ordering the album, now that I know the setlist.
However, there's no sign of it as yet on www.gandsmusic.com
I guess that won't take too long...

This could be an interesting album, sort of like FZ:OZ.
There's only about 2 1/2 months between the show on FZ:OZ and the songs on Menage and share almost the same group of musicians.

Although the FZ:OZ line-up certainly doesn't even come close to being my favorite line-up, they sure had some great arrangements to certain songs.
Especially the longer ones with superb soloing from just about each member of the group, such as Black Napkins, Advance Romance, Chunga's Revenge and Zoot Allures.

So, hopefully the versions of Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy, Chunga's Revenge, Zoot Allures and The Illinois Enema Bandit will each be above the 10:00 minute mark, with exceptional solo's from all persons within the group.

If only they'd replaced Honey, Don't You Wanna Man Like Me with something else...I never did like that song :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:18 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:

The album first germinated when Frank gave fan Ole Lysgaard several cassette tapes, including this one, in 1978. In 2004, Lysgaard sent the tapes to Gail, and she decided to release the 1975 music, which was restored and mastered by John Polito. "A thrilling example from a less documented line-up," she says.

Knowing Frank's mindset about the bootlegging of his material, why then would he pass on tapes to other people ???

Then again, it was back in 1978, when he was pretty much forbidden to either record or release any of his music, due to his disagreements with Warner Bros.
He was probably happy to get at least some of his music out in the open, some way or another.

It seems this guy Ole Lysgaard received several tapes...makes you wonder what's on the rest of them :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:54 am 

so is this live album or what?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:22 am 

Flea wrote:

Yes, it's live.

...now grab your wallet and order it already :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:37 am 

AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:
Flea wrote:

Yes, it's live.

...now grab your wallet and order it already :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:
naaah, I dont play that way... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:06 am 
Banned

Three votes already, presumably cast by individuals that have not yet listened to the album. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:13 am 

Three votes already, presumably cast by individuals that have not yet listened to the album. :roll:

Is there a tape of the Wiliamsburg show circulating?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:56 am 

polydigm wrote:

i smell I***c :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:42 am 

Voted for Chunga's but I was ever-so-slightly disappointed to see nearly all songs already represented by this line-up on OZ. :roll: Makes wonder if the depths of vault haven't already been plumbed. I mean, do you really need another "Enema Bandit" or another "Honey"? I'm prepared, as always, to have my mind blown.

Also, it occured to me that during Frank's lifetime he only realsed "Chunga's Revenge" once despite playing it live with some frequency. Joe's Menage, however, will mark the 5th time (counting "Chunga Basement") that the ZFT has released it. Dweeezil's favorite, perhaps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:03 am 

polydigm wrote:

No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:10 am 

pbuzby wrote:
polydigm wrote:

No.

Yes, but some Danish bloke decided to return it into Gail's greedy hands :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:15 am 

AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:

Knowing Frank's mindset about the bootlegging of his material, why then would he pass on tapes to other people ???

Then again, it was back in 1978, when he was pretty much forbidden to either record or release any of his music, due to his disagreements with Warner Bros.
He was probably happy to get at least some of his music out in the open, some way or another.

It seems this guy Ole Lysgaard received several tapes...makes you wonder what's on the rest of them :shock:

There is a difference of passing on tapes to someone you know, for their thoughts and/or enjoyment and some knucklehead selling said tapes on colored vinyl.
Where do you think a lot of the SBD shows that are leaked come from?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:07 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:

Isaac ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:04 pm 

zomby truth wrote:
Voted for Chunga's but I was ever-so-slightly disappointed to see nearly all songs already represented by this line-up on OZ. :roll: Makes wonder if the depths of vault haven't already been plumbed. I mean, do you really need another "Enema Bandit" or another "Honey"? I'm prepared, as always, to have my mind blown.

Also, it occured to me that during Frank's lifetime he only realsed "Chunga's Revenge" once despite playing it live with some frequency. Joe's Menage, however, will mark the 5th time (counting "Chunga Basement") that the ZFT has released it. Dweeezil's favorite, perhaps?

So....did you actually hear it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:20 pm 

zomby truth wrote:
Makes wonder if the depths of vault haven't already been plumbed.

Judging from Joe Traver's tour inside FZ's vault on the Classic Albums DVD, the surface hardly seems too have been scratched.
It seems Gail and Joe are working on numerous future releases and unfortunately not each release can live up to BUFFALO.

I guess there's just an incredible amount of stuff down there, all the way from the 1950's up untill 1993.
It all needs to be archived, back ups have to be made and god knows what else.

After that comes the gruesome task of deciding what to release and taking in consideration (hopefully) what most fans might want to hear on whatever is choosed to be released.

We all have our favorite band, arrangement, show, solo, improv and what not, so it's impossible keeping everybody happy that way.
So, if this release is not for you than have patience, because there might just be yet another, more suitable nugget (or even more) from the vault coming your way, before the year is through...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:03 pm 

zomby truth wrote:

Whatever anybody thinks about the quality of communications from the ZFT, I believe they have more than adequately explained the purpose of the Joe's Corsaga series and I am buying Joe's Menage for just that reason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:02 pm 

AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:

Isaac ?

Not all SBD's are full of shit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:03 pm 

polydigm wrote:
zomby truth wrote:

Whatever anybody thinks about the quality of communications from the ZFT, I believe they have more than adequately explained the purpose of the Joe's Corsaga series and I am buying Joe's Menage for just that reason.

I agree,
but this one looks like it will be the best one since the original...
I'm very excited to hear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:18 pm 

polydigm wrote:
zomby truth wrote:

Make no mistake, I'm excited to listen to it. What I love about FZ is that I can see a tracklist like this and think: "I've heard it before..." and it turns out to be beyond my wildest dreams. I hope this is a case of that. Very good point, too, about this being a Corsaga release. That is its own special project and I hope it blows Xmasage (the worst of the series, IMHO) out of the water. I suppose I've been a bit spoiled by Wazoo and Buffalo, both of which raised the bar for ZFT upon their respective release dates. I kind a like Joe's Domage, altough more than a few have poo-poo'd it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:45 pm 

zomby truth wrote:
polydigm wrote:
zomby truth wrote:
Make no mistake, I'm excited to listen to it. What I love about FZ is that I can see a tracklist like this and think: "I've heard it before..." and it turns out to be beyond my wildest dreams. I hope this is a case of that. Very good point, too, about this being a Corsaga release. That is its own special project and I hope it blows Xmasage (the worst of the series, IMHO) out of the water. I suppose I've been a bit spoiled by Wazoo and Buffalo, both of which raised the bar for ZFT upon their respective release dates. I kind a like Joe's Domage, altough more than a few have poo-poo'd it...

I don't think Joe's Xmasage is bad at all. To compare Joe's Xmasage with Wazoo would be like comparing the Classic Albums DVD with the Torture DVD. I've watched the Classic Albums DVD and investigated the extras a couple of times and it's an interesting release, but it's not something I'm putting in the player when I want audio/visual musical entertainment which is where the Torture DVD comes in. Similarly I've listened to Joe's Xmasage a couple of times and it's an interesting release but Wazoo is what I would bring with me to put in the CD player in my car.

I find all three of the Corsaga releases interesting and they each have their own highlights and I think it would be pointless to try and rate them in any way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:51 pm 

zomby truth wrote:
polydigm wrote:
zomby truth wrote:

So, you voted before you heard it.