Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Which is your favorite song to listen to from the album?
Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me? 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
The Illinois Enema Bandit 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Lonely Little Girl 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chunga's Revenge 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
Zoot Allures 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:19 pm 

polydigm wrote:
][...] but Wazoo is what I would bring with me to put in the CD player in my car.

Guess you hit the sidewalk every time the 16th-note improvisations occur in Greggery Peccary? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:49 pm 

polydigm wrote:
zomby truth wrote:
polydigm wrote:
zomby truth wrote:
Voted for Chunga's but I was ever-so-slightly disappointed to see nearly all songs already represented by this line-up on OZ. :roll: Makes wonder if the depths of vault haven't already been plumbed. I mean, do you really need another "Enema Bandit" or another "Honey"? I'm prepared, as always, to have my mind blown.
Whatever anybody thinks about the quality of communications from the ZFT, I believe they have more than adequately explained the purpose of the Joe's Corsaga series and I am buying Joe's Menage for just that reason.
Make no mistake, I'm excited to listen to it. What I love about FZ is that I can see a tracklist like this and think: "I've heard it before..." and it turns out to be beyond my wildest dreams. I hope this is a case of that. Very good point, too, about this being a Corsaga release. That is its own special project and I hope it blows Xmasage (the worst of the series, IMHO) out of the water. I suppose I've been a bit spoiled by Wazoo and Buffalo, both of which raised the bar for ZFT upon their respective release dates. I kind a like Joe's Domage, altough more than a few have poo-poo'd it...

I don't think Joe's Xmasage is bad at all. To compare Joe's Xmasage with Wazoo would be like comparing the Classic Albums DVD with the Torture DVD. I've watched the Classic Albums DVD and investigated the extras a couple of times and it's an interesting release, but it's not something I'm putting in the player when I want audio/visual musical entertainment which is where the Torture DVD comes in. Similarly I've listened to Joe's Xmasage a couple of times and it's an interesting release but Wazoo is what I would bring with me to put in the CD player in my car.

I find all three of the Corsaga releases interesting and they each have their own highlights and I think it would be pointless to try and rate them in any way.

I'm glad you like Xmasage and I respect your opinion. I've just never been able to make anything out of it. The acutal music on the album is very cool, but there's a lot of dialog tracks, and not particularly interesting dialog tracks IMO. I've listened to it more than a few times and it just hasn't clicked.

As for Wazoo, I think it's fair to compare one ZFT release to another in the same way we compare FZ releases in the endless polls on this very forum. Differing opinons are what make it all interesting and thought-provoking. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:52 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
zomby truth wrote:
polydigm wrote:
zomby truth wrote:
Voted for Chunga's but I was ever-so-slightly disappointed to see nearly all songs already represented by this line-up on OZ. :roll: Makes wonder if the depths of vault haven't already been plumbed. I mean, do you really need another "Enema Bandit" or another "Honey"? I'm prepared, as always, to have my mind blown.

Whatever anybody thinks about the quality of communications from the ZFT, I believe they have more than adequately explained the purpose of the Joe's Corsaga series and I am buying Joe's Menage for just that reason.

Make no mistake, I'm excited to listen to it. What I love about FZ is that I can see a tracklist like this and think: "I've heard it before..." and it turns out to be beyond my wildest dreams. I hope this is a case of that. Very good point, too, about this being a Corsaga release. That is its own special project and I hope it blows Xmasage (the worst of the series, IMHO) out of the water. I suppose I've been a bit spoiled by Wazoo and Buffalo, both of which raised the bar for ZFT upon their respective release dates. I kind a like Joe's Domage, altough more than a few have poo-poo'd it...

So, you voted before you heard it.

Admittedly: yes. I originally thought the poll of was more of an anticipatory "what are you most excited to listen to". Such is the peril of answering a thread during a short work break. More attentiveness is called for in future forays...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:51 pm 

zomby truth wrote:
I'm glad you like Xmasage and I respect your opinion. I've just never been able to make anything out of it. The acutal music on the album is very cool, but there's a lot of dialog tracks, and not particularly interesting dialog tracks IMO. I've listened to it more than a few times and it just hasn't clicked.

I don't find the dialog tracks particularly riveting I just view the album as a sort of time machine into that period of FZ's life.

zomby truth wrote:
As for Wazoo, I think it's fair to compare one ZFT release to another in the same way we compare FZ releases in the endless polls on this very forum. Differing opinons are what make it all interesting and thought-provoking. :)

I didn't mean compare in the "poll" sense I meant compare in the "what to expect from them" sense. Some of the comments I've heard on this forum about these Corsaga albums is about not being able to shake your booty over them. So Wazoo is something I can listen to on a purely musical level and Joe's Xmasage is like a documentary. To compare them as similar items is what I'm disagreeing with.

As far as a favourite poll would be concerned, if you put all the ZFT releases together and just simply asked the question "which is your favourite?", then why not. In that case Joe's Xmasage would probably be my least favourite, but I'd still rather have it than not. If I had to relinquish one of my Zappa albums it would be a little like asking me to choose which one of my body parts would I be less worried about being chopped off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:05 pm 

polydigm wrote:
zomby truth wrote:

I don't find the dialog tracks particularly riveting I just view the album as a sort of time machine into that period of FZ's life.

zomby truth wrote:

I didn't mean compare in the "poll" sense I meant compare in the "what to expect from them" sense. Some of the comments I've heard on this forum about these Corsaga albums is about not being able to shake your booty over them. So Wazoo is something I can listen to on a purely musical level and Joe's Xmasage is like a documentary. To compare them as similar items is what I'm disagreeing with.

As far as a favourite poll would be concerned, if you put all the ZFT releases together and just simply asked the question "which is your favourite?", then why not. In that case Joe's Xmasage would probably be my least favourite, but I'd still rather have it than not. If I had to relinquish one of my Zappa albums it would be a little like asking me to choose which one of my body parts would I be less worried about being chopped off.

I agree with a lot of the pionts being made about Xmasage, but imho you need it for The Muthers/Power Trio and GTR Trio as I think those two are essential recordings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:30 pm 

Ok, so I voted for Lonely Little Girl, becuase FZ's guitar solo from this song is one of my favorites.
Chunga's is also very cool with some cool Sax, an interesting solo from FZ and Terry finishing it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:33 pm 

I like them all and can't pick a favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:37 pm 

Trennasol wrote:
I like them all and can't pick a favorite.

Aww come on,
down offa that fence...
:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:38 am 
Banned

Oh No!!! It's The Illinois Enema Bandit!

It was close between "Chunga" and "Bandit". Both - best ever. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:22 pm 

Carolina 8)

Ain't It Funky Now...

http://www.facebook.com/lbruister
http://www.last.fm/user/LaMarr_Bruister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:31 am 

For awhile it was The Illinois Enema Bandit. (killer solo)

Now.....it's Chunga's Revenge. It rocks my world and gets my vote. Napi's Chunga-solos with this band are awesome. Frank's rhythm guitar solo is a groove, too. It really swings!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 am 

The Illinois Enema Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:07 am 

Lonely Little Girl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:53 pm 

ImageImage