Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:11 pm
Posts: 67
Location: France
FalseDichotomy wrote:
cyst-array wrote:
BABY SNAKES
(before the fictional Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers...)


It's not fictional:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of ... _Engineers


Yes. And to me (I'm not saying I'm right, this is just my interpretation of the song), this whole song is about this, the Time Code. (The Time Code is used in professional video and audio studios to synchronise devices together. Ever seen those numbers displayed at the bottom of a tv image, like this: 12:25:45:17 ? Well, this is the Time Code. It has been set up by the SMPTE, and is sometimes called "SMPTE Code").
So to me the Baby Snakes are the Time Code impulses recorded on the tape. It really helps putting a recording together. Let's look at the lyrics:

"Late at night is when they come out": Frank used to record in the night, right ?
"They make the best kinda pet (..) I look around and there's a couple right near me": Frank may have felt alone when mixing at 2h30 in the morning, and maybe for a moment he imagined those impulses as pets. Surely those are devoted "creatures" and they'revery reliable.

"They live by a code that is usually SMPTE (...) and maybe I thing that is what keeps them in sync !": this is where I really think the baby snakes are the Time Code impulses themselves !

In my opinion Frank made a song (with a nice poetic twist in the form of the snakes) about the joy of working with TC synchronisation. He was happy about it and that made the song. Simple as that :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9605
zongadude wrote:
...this whole song is about this, the Time Code...

... the baby snakes are the Time Code impulses themselves...

awesome interpretation z-dude, spot-on

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
I'll never look at Baby Snakes the same way again.

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2304
I always thought Baby Snakes was just a sex song. A "Baby Snake" was a penis. "Late at night is when they come out" - (Most sex probably happens later in the evening), "Pink and wet, they make the best kind of pet" (OK, maybe a little racist) "They live in a hole, a tiny, hole, that is usually empty" (the Baby Snakes home is the vagina - or in the case of our homosexual friends, the asshole, however the percentage of time that it is actually there is pretty small). Of course Frank was a clever guy and liked double entendre and maybe even triple meanings. The SMPTE thing was just a throw-in I thought.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 19172
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Somewhere along the line I had gotten the impression it was about the clitoris.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2304
just plain doug wrote:
Somewhere along the line I had gotten the impression it was about the clitoris.

That makes sense too when you think about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2304
KUIII wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Somewhere along the line I had gotten the impression it was about the clitoris.

That makes sense too when you think about it.

Especially when you consider the "I'll think I'll give 'em a drink" line.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
KUIII wrote:
KUIII wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Somewhere along the line I had gotten the impression it was about the clitoris.

That makes sense too when you think about it.

Especially when you consider the "I'll think I'll give 'em a drink" line.

Freud would have had a freaked out field day,trying to figure out Frank! :D

Sometimes a tweezer is just a tweezer. :wink:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 21473
Location: Somewhere in time
I think this song hits on several levels at once like many of Franks songs, KU and JPD were all around it...lol...a Snake is a chic that slithers around from guy to guy having sex, many young and up and coming snakes could be found around the music scene, thus Baby Snakes and the lyrics make sense. I know someone in another thread had an awesome explanation about sound equipment, but I do not know enough about it to give it here.

:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2674
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
zongadude wrote:
...this whole song is about this, the Time Code...

... the baby snakes are the Time Code impulses themselves...

awesome interpretation z-dude, spot-on

Or the whole time-code thing could just be that Frank was looking for something to rhyme with "empty."

As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Freud would have had a freaked out field day,trying to figure out Frank! :D

Sometimes a tweezer is just a tweezer. :wink:


MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

Great minds think alike.

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 21473
Location: Somewhere in time
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
zongadude wrote:
...this whole song is about this, the Time Code...

... the baby snakes are the Time Code impulses themselves...

awesome interpretation z-dude, spot-on

Or the whole time-code thing could just be that Frank was looking for something to rhyme with "empty."

As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...



Isn't that a Monica Lewinsky qoute?

:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 19172
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
just plain doug wrote:
Image

So 37 people believe this to be true and 27 say its wrong.So this is a guess what you think's right site.Then you vote thumbs up or down.Not very specific,more like guessing what sounds more likely than not.At least to me it does. :| I did always want one of those babyslutters to sit me when I was young.....I'm lying.I'd take one now! (over 18 only need apply) :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 21473
Location: Somewhere in time
Snake was a common term for a slut when this song was written, a young slut would be a"Baby Snake", where the focus directly on the clit comes from I am not sure, its like using the Hubble Space Telescope to look across the room...to much magnificatiion...

:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:51 pm
Posts: 357
The Air (Uncle Meat album)

An interesting song... what is is about? Sometimes seems to me that a conflict at the customs, a fight with the guards, in slow motion.. :-)

Or? What dou you think? I'm interested in every little detail - what do you think?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:37 pm
Posts: 339
Plook wrote:
Snake was a common term for a slut when this song was written, a young slut would be a"Baby Snake", where the focus directly on the clit comes from I am not sure, its like using the Hubble Space Telescope to look across the room...to much magnificatiion...

:smoke:

As I have always understood it the cliterous is where the focus should be !

_________________
Banned
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/banned


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Little_Sally wrote:
Plook wrote:
Snake was a common term for a slut when this song was written, a young slut would be a"Baby Snake", where the focus directly on the clit comes from I am not sure, its like using the Hubble Space Telescope to look across the room...to much magnificatiion...

:smoke:

As I have always understood it the cliterous is where the focus should be !

..and I'm one focused man, I worship at the little pink pyramid of yes 'n' deedy,religously! :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 21473
Location: Somewhere in time
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:
Plook wrote:
Snake was a common term for a slut when this song was written, a young slut would be a"Baby Snake", where the focus directly on the clit comes from I am not sure, its like using the Hubble Space Telescope to look across the room...to much magnificatiion...

:smoke:

As I have always understood it the cliterous is where the focus should be !

..and I'm one focused man, I worship at the little pink pyramid of yes 'n' deedy,religously! :mrgreen:



Although as now in the 70's the clitoris is the focus, but no one was calling it a snake in the 70's, a snake was a version of a slut... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:37 pm
Posts: 339
I would not call myself a baby snake then but I would like to meet a few pythons.

_________________
Banned
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/banned


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 5663
Location: Orange County Ca.
I thought a baby snake was a clitoris in 1979 when the album came out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Little_Sally wrote:
I would not call myself a baby snake then but I would like to meet a few pythons.

Funny you should mention it... :wink:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:37 pm
Posts: 339
still learning about Frank Zappa, don't a boot got something to do with it ?
Stinkfooots yes ?

_________________
Banned
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/banned


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Little_Sally wrote:
still learning about Frank Zappa, don't a boot got something to do with it ?
Stinkfooots yes ?

Yer,right! Stinkfoot.

You see my python boot was to tight,
I couldn't get it off last night,
A week went by,
Now it's July,
I finally got it off,
And my girlfriend cried,
"you got Stinkfoot!"
Stinkfoot,Stinkfoot,I ain't lying
Can you rince it off,
Do you suppose?
That Stinkfoot,put a hurt on my nose!

Don't worry Zappanese comes easy after a little while. :)

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group