Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:49 pm 

Booya!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 pm 

tengo na minchia tanta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 pm 

madcow1515 wrote:
My go-to answer for this one is always The Jazz Discharge Party Hats. I've always found it really gross and unfunny, and it's one of the rare cases where I think Frank really does come of sounding like a sexist asshole. It also doesn't help that I've never been a big fan of Frank's sprechgresang stuff to begin with.

I would give it another listen. Amazing musical improv

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:14 am 

After watching The Dub Room Special just to check out how it compares to A Token Of His Extreme, my vote goes to Tengo Na Minchia Tanta! And Massimo Bassoli is nominated as least valuable contributor to Zappa's stuff! TDRS vs. ATOHE - ATOHE wins by knockout in the first round.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:00 am 

Suicide Chump.

I know a few people that lost loved ones to suicide. Just seeing the way it still affects them makes suicide something I do not want to hear joked about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:16 pm 

geronimo1958 wrote:
Suicide Chump.

I know a few people that lost loved ones to suicide. Just seeing the way it still affects them makes suicide something I do not want to hear joked about.

I never felt FZ was joking at all. He's just sayin get it right the 1st time if your really serious. Otherwise it's a cry for help as we all know. So get help, why all the drama? Hey! In the long run kids who hear FZ, AC and others that bring suicide out in the open probably help more than not. I've lost a few assholes that way too. That's just the way I feel about anyone quitting life. That's just lame-o. Suicide is so selfish. imho.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:24 pm 

The Radio Is Broken is the one song that comes to mind. It is generally irritating.
I'll listen to it on occasion, but almost always will just skip it.
Come to think of it, I haven't heard it since last century.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:18 pm 

I was suicidal for 13 years, and when I first heard Suicide Chump it made me laugh a lot. Please don't call me selfish, Kirk, there are no words for how black the night was.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:18 pm 

BBP wrote:
I was suicidal for 13 years, and when I first heard Suicide Chump it made me laugh a lot. Please don't call me selfish, Kirk, there are no words for how black the night was.

Sorry if I seem a little too callous. I know each person has a different story/experience that brought them to such a precipice in life. I was generalizing and certainly didn't mean to offend any of my ZappaFreak friends here. It's selfish to me for someone I care about to quit and leave without seeing life through. That's my fault for caring about someone, you take your chances I guess. But those that have succeeded have left much more grief behind than if they had just seen it through...but now they're not here to see it was all gonna be alright anyway.
Bonny, your one of the most friendly, talented, giving people I've known in this cyber world. I hope you've moved on and are here with us for the duration of...THE TRIP*. :) :D

*I'm glad your here now! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:25 pm 

Isn't it also selfish to force someone who is experiencing unbearable pain to stay alive just because you love them?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:21 pm 

We're kind of off topic big time but without wanting to share too much of another persons personal history, here is food for thought for you.

Sometimes people kill themselves to free family and friends of the burden of their despair.

Just to be clear, I'm neither applauding or judging one way or the other.
It just feels very simplistic and dare I say convenient for society in the general sense, to point the finger and classify as selfish or weakness of character. At best, it's just our tendency to not want to reward someone who gives up (on life).

I don't know why we're talking about this.

But yes! I agree with the gentleman that said that Suicide Chump is not about criticizing a persons choice to end their own life. Rather it's criticizing people who will do close to anything to stage an act of suicide with the undisclosed intention to draw attention and pity to oneself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:47 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Isn't it also selfish to force someone who is experiencing unbearable pain to stay alive just because you love them?

No, I'm not talking about assisted suicide, which I agree with to a point. The point/difference being: The person with a terminal diagnosis and will to live are separate beasts. Mix them and why try? Maybe that's why I'm so outspoken about it. Bonny might remember about my brother. I'm not putting it to type again, but suffice to say... I know that a person can be healthy looking and dying inside, even crazy and people still have no empathy from any quarter towards them. I really wonder if "we the people" can see that nowadays we're so media conceptualized it is, for the most part, turning us slowly into THEM. No empathy for the enemy and the enemy is us. It's a pod takeover...I'll take over your podcast today and wha-la your people have turned they're backs onya. They've (OhNO!) changed that dial, now were all stuck in shu-shu-shu-shu-shu-shah, (repeat)... stuck in sugertown! Thank you Nancy..."Just Say No" Reagan. Candy coating is more like it.. EXTRA! EXTRA! read all about it! In the valley of the Valley girls, people found in the cyber space's space were found out of site and very cool folks/that is all...

For more info go to gimmeshelter@.org.aol.com. Fuck it! Run Forest run and thank you for your attention to this matter
CK wrote:
But yes! I agree with the gentleman that said that Suicide Chump is not about criticizing a persons choice to end their own life. Rather it's criticizing people who will do close to anything to stage an act of suicide with the undisclosed intention to draw attention and pity to oneself.

Yep, sorta like that too. :wink:

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Sorry to contribute to the derailment of this thread, but yes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:01 am 

Tengo Na Minchia Tanta is probably it.
I don't ever skip it but I always feel Valley Girl brings down SATLTSADW for me, only slightly mind you. I probably will just skip it from now on.

Not a fan of the YCDTOSA.3 version of King Kong, it seems a bit weak and light. King Kong in mot other forms seems so mighty.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:04 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:

Not a fan of the YCDTOSA.3 version of King Kong, it seems a bit weak and light. King Kong in mot other forms seems so mighty.

I like the 1971 section a lot and Tommy Mars's solo from 1982 is also good. The rest I could take or leave.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:21 am 

pbuzby wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

I like the 1971 section a lot and Tommy Mars's solo from 1982 is also good. The rest I could take or leave.

Same here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:31 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

Same here.

I do not care for '81 parts...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:25 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I'm not talking about assisted suicide

I'm not either. I was talking about emotional suffering. Psychic pain.The kind that maybe you and I can't really comprehend. However, all of us probably at least consider suicide at some point.
But I'm with ya, Kirk.

Anyway...

Suicide Chump is just a song. Unlike, say, Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy, which is so much more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:30 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

I'm not either. I was talking about emotional suffering. Psychic pain.The kind that maybe you and I can't really comprehend. However, all of us probably at least consider suicide at some point.
But I'm with ya, Kirk.

Anyway...

Suicide Chump is just a song. Unlike, say, Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy, which is so much more.

I can comprehend it. :cry: But I'd rather concentrate on some of Carolina's Hardcore Ecstasy, me and "we be groovin' on a sunny afternoon. We, couldn't get away too soon." ~ Little Rascals. I try and keep me glass always half full! :wink: :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:11 pm 

The Little House That I Used To Live In, it's so uninteresting... the solo from Don Sugarcane Harris is horrible.

Also, You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here is a very boring and unfunny track.

The best tracks by Frank in my opinion are Promiscous and Valley Girl. And Tengo Na Minchia Tanta is hillarious.

( :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:58 pm 

Tinseltown Rebellion: where FZ becomes a dinosaur.
TT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:29 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

But I'm with ya, Kirk.

Anyway...

People who choose suicide who know they are dying and don't want to be an extended (and let me emphasize the the word extended here) burden are a different animal than those that just choose to give up because of emotional pain. People who just decide to check out because they "can't take it no more" are weak of mind or mentally ill IMO. There are plenty of avenues for people to take for people who are suffering emotionally but unfortunately many/most people in that situation don't want help.

I have never been suicidal but I can say the darkest hours of my life have made me understand how someone with a weaker mind or a mental illness could go in that direction. I've got no problem with "Suicide Chump". You've got plenty of options, fella. I get a good chuckle out of it. Don't bother me with your drama.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:21 am 

wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
The Little House That I Used To Live In, it's so uninteresting... the solo from Don Sugarcane Harris is horrible.

Also, You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here is a very boring and unfunny track.

The best tracks by Frank in my opinion are Promiscous and Valley Girl. And Tengo Na Minchia Tanta is hillarious.

( :mrgreen: )

No, the "Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue" is a waste of tape!

And the best, most definitive Frank Zappa is "Dinah Moe Humm". Followed by "He's So Gay".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:07 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:

No, the "Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue" is a waste of tape!

And the best, most definitive Frank Zappa is "Dinah Moe Humm". Followed by "He's So Gay".

Dina Moe Humm certainly describes his music.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:11 pm 

Actually, I don't know why everyone's so down on "Promiscuous" (even Scott Thunes - and he claims to have written the music). I always quite enjoyed it, particularly in context. In terms of music, I think "Stick Together" is currently the track I tend to avoid the most.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next