Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:36 am 

Old fan - new member: I'm not allowed to read private messages yet, so thought I might just as well post the activation post here also, where it's more likely that I'll get an answer.

Zappa in New York was my third Zappa cassette in 1979. I know about the different versions of the album, but I'm curious about a new CD edition which is advertised on various netsites. It's supposed to be a single CD housed in a vinyl replica album cover. Issued by Phantom Sound and Vision 05/27/08. Has anyone checked it out? Is it the original version with Punky's Whips, without other bonus tracks? Or is it just a mistake in the lists, and actually the current Ryko double in a different cover?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:03 am 

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/ziny.html

This should help you along a bit...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:33 pm 

AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:

The latest editions are not referenced on the Patio pages.
From the barcode I referenced in some listings (4988112417694), it seems that Phantom Sound & Vision is distributing the Japanese VideoArts edition (VACK 1325/26).
And in this case, it is the remixed version in a beautiful papersleeve.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:46 pm 

Okay - I appreciate the help. But check this out: ASIN: B0016FZHA6 - It's listed as just one disc. So that would either have to be an edition with less material than the current Ryko double - or a mistake in the listings. A single disc ZINY following the 1977 original would be lovely, but until proven otherwise I guess it's just the VACK version mislisted.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:20 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Okay - I appreciate the help. But check this out: ASIN: B0016FZHA6 - It's listed as just one disc. So that would either have to be an edition with less material than the current Ryko double - or a mistake in the listings. A single disc ZINY following the 1977 original would be lovely, but until proven otherwise I guess it's just the VACK version mislisted.

I don't see the purpose in rereleasing the original ZINY since those mixes are all on Lather. Seems like a weird move, but I guess I've seen weirder!

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 pm 

FOWL wrote:
I don't see the purpose in rereleasing the original ZINY since those mixes are all on Lather. Seems like a weird move, but I guess I've seen weirder!

"Sofa", "Manx Needs Women", "The Black Page Drum Solo", and "Black Page #2" are not on Lather.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:19 am 

And the sequencing on the 1977 original 11-track edition is superior to all later versions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:29 am 

dlokazip wrote:
FOWL wrote:

"Sofa", "Manx Needs Women", "The Black Page Drum Solo", and "Black Page #2" are not on Lather.

Mixes are also noticeably different between some songs on the two albums - for instance, "Illinois Enema Bandit" on Lather has some additional echo and other effects on Don Pardo's intro and FZ's vocal at the end, making it sound more like a studio recording.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:50 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:

On the one hand, Amazon Japan report it as a 1 disc edition, but on the other hand they also mention a complete tracks listing for 2 CDs.
So yes, it has to be a mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:17 am 

You're very helpful - so we don't have to think about that one anymore. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:13 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Old fan - new member: I'm not allowed to read private messages yet, so thought I might just as well post the activation post here also, where it's more likely that I'll get an answer.

Zappa in New York was my third Zappa cassette in 1979. I know about the different versions of the album, but I'm curious about a new CD edition which is advertised on various netsites. It's supposed to be a single CD housed in a vinyl replica album cover. Issued by Phantom Sound and Vision 05/27/08. Has anyone checked it out? Is it the original version with Punky's Whips, without other bonus tracks? Or is it just a mistake in the lists, and actually the current Ryko double in a different cover?

I have a several copies of Zappa lp's

The item I wish to discuss is Live in New york

I have copies with Punky's Whips and copies without this track.

it was pulled by the record company.

I have one copy that lists wunky's whips on the back of the gatefold sleeve but does not list it on the inside of the sleeve it does not appear on the record either.

I can only assume that the manufacturer of the gatefold sleeves had some of the outer sleeves left over and used them together with the new inner sleeves.

Potentially making this a rare item.

Is there any way of estimating the value of this itemI have a several copies of Zappa lp's

The item I wish to discuss is Live in New york

I have copies with Punky's Whips and copies without this track.

it was pulled by the record company.

I have one copy that lists wunky's whips on the back of the gatefold sleeve but does not list it on the inside of the sleeve it does not appear on the record either.

I can only assume that the manufacturer of the gatefold sleeves had some of the outer sleeves left over and used them together with the new inner sleeves.

Potentially making this a rare item.

Is there any way of estimating the value of this item

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:40 am 

When I started this thread, I was waiting for a copy of ZINY to be shipped from Australia. The seller had told that the cover and label list PW, but the track doesn't actually appear on the record. I was hesitant, but in the end decided to pay 100 dollars + postage for that copy.

In the meantime I was eager to find a way of actually hearing the album as intended by Frank in 1977. I started looking for the bootleg CD, but only found references to the Vack edition which we discussed above.

Eventually the shipment from Australia arrived, and I found out that - in spite of what the seller had said - it is a real and complete copy of the first UK edition, with PW listed on cover, label and on the inside gatefold, with lyrics and the picture of Terry's lithoeroticization... and playing the track as well (with Big Leg Emma between the Black Pages on side two).

So, in answer to your question, I guess a hundred dollars is a fair price for a copy with PW only listed on the cover. But if you're lucky, you can get so much more for that cash :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:49 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
When I started this thread, I was waiting for a copy of ZINY to be shipped from Australia. The seller had told that the cover and label list PW, but the track doesn't actually appear on the record. I was hesitant, but in the end decided to pay 100 dollars + postage for that copy.

In the meantime I was eager to find a way of actually hearing the album as intended by Frank in 1977. I started looking for the bootleg CD, but only found references to the Vack edition which we discussed above.

Eventually the shipment from Australia arrived, and I found out that - in spite of what the seller had said - it is a real and complete copy of the first UK edition, with PW listed on cover, label and on the inside gatefold, with lyrics and the picture of Terry's lithoeroticization... and playing the track as well (with Big Leg Emma between the Black Pages on side two).

So, in answer to your question, I guess a hundred dollars is a fair price for a copy with PW only listed on the cover. But if you're lucky, you can get so much more for that cash :wink:

Thanks for that. Most UK releases contain PW. I think the powers that be at warners did not see the uk market as too much of a problem and probably released the stock that they had pressed - save binning them. Later releases do omit the song.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:37 pm 

Maroual wrote:
On the one hand, Amazon Japan report it as a 1 disc edition, but on the other hand they also mention a complete tracks listing for 2 CDs.

I love the 'Click here to see in English' facility that only translates headings. Hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:23 am 

polydigm wrote:
Maroual wrote:

I love the 'Click here to see in English' facility that only translates headings. Hilarious.

Well, yes that sucks. What did you need to translate?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:32 am 

Maroual wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Maroual wrote:

Well, yes that sucks. What did you need to translate?

From that very page, sort of translated:

Track List

Disc: 1

1. Titizu and beer
2. Cruising For Burgers
3. I Promise Not Too Come In Your Mouth
4. Uippusu Pankizu
5. Honey, Do not You Want A Man Like Me?
6. The Illinois enema bandit

Disc: 2

1. I'm the Slime
2. Pound For A Brown
3. Manx Needs Women
4. The Black Page Drum Solo | Black Page # 1
5. Big Leg Emma
6. Sofa
7. Black Page # 2
8. Endless torture
9. The Purple Lagoon | Apurokushimeito

Review:

5.0 out of 5 stars obscenity of Zappa's masterpiece, the apex of Unusual Pervert! 2009/11/2

By Mei coffin (Neyagawa City, Osaka)

Target Product Review: Zappa In New York (restrictions apply) (CD).

This is one aspect of Zappa, of obscenity, of transformation (Abnormal Psychology, SM interests, robbery enema), dealing with a so-called "top" some Unusual masterpiece. Light music can do this calmly, and then to let Maeru is not inconceivable Zappa on the planet! Music, including brass, big band, organization, and the sound is impressive too thick. This pattern of a live, John Belushi had also appeared in the Provence, "Saturday Night Live" in the footage, you can watch part 1. By the addition of bonus tracks can also experience the world quite dense Zappa. As usual, speaking of Zappa, the lyrics are so awesome, we recommend that you get the Japanese version by all means. Among the many works of Frank Zappa, one of the best you great board. Naka Naka "dark", but also recommended for beginners!

In addition I got access to a kinky live dance with the back of a bikini clad and tattooed Japanese girl wriggling her bottom obscenely towards a tea pot!