Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:46 am 

polydigm wrote:
tweezers wrote:
I think that a audiodocumentary of UM and HR would be the BFD. Considering much of this music was made over a year or so period, why not lump them together like LM - as a matter of fact, throw in BWS too, make it a real doozy!!
Personally I think I think it would be a mistake to mix these two albums up. One of them is the height of FZ's first big phase in music with a large eclectic bunch of freaks producing an album which is bursting at the seams like some alternative universe and the other is after he's let that go and used a handful of professional studio musicians to produce a very different type of album which is much more guitar heavy and jazz oriented. They're both brilliant, but they're both very different. When you listen to them for the first time it's just awe inspiring that they're by the same person.

Point well taken polydigm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:07 am 

i usually don't comment on this guys posts as they are wayyyy too long to read,but i did see this and made me spit up laughing...anybody else???

When I use to play lots of paddle ball with a group of guys

thanks tredmonger or whatever your name is...this really made me laugh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 am 

I wonder if paddle ball is played "in serious leather."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Ordered it, can't wait for this. I too am disgusted by musictoday's shipping costs, $6+ and tax for mailing a CD from VA to NY. But it's Zappa music, so I'll let it go. If I was seeing ZPZ in May I'd wait and get it then, but won't be at a show til 6/29, too long a wait.

Henry Rollins is another one who handed his mailorder business over to those pricks. He has a book and a new talking CD that I'd like, but I refuse to order it from them. I'll wait til those items hit amazon, or else if he does a show in my town.

Good luck with that , Fred. I'm a big Rollins fan too, but based in the uk. He did a show in my home town a couple of months back (maybe the second date...), but he didn't bring much worthwhile merch, nevermind books or cds. Maybe that's because it was the uk, but when I saw him mebbe 5 years ago in Oxford he at least had 'Shock and Awe' dvds.

The last time I went on 21361 to order some stuff the shipping charges were about $50 in total. I cancelled my order, but I'm still waiting for the latest book, and Fanatic 3 to appear on Amazon UK.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:17 am 

zappas crotch wrote:
I stopped coming here years ago. But as I return, probably for the last time, I see nothing has changed. CDs are overpriced by $5. MP3s are overpriced by $5... and there's STILL no advance information about what is being sold. Apparently, most of the people here just enjoy being shit on.

We all love Frank's music. Everything else about this place is insulting, from a couple of the posters (that self promoting ass, http://www.myspace.com/johnnytuscaderodrums, comes to mind first) to the way Frank's most dedicated fans are treated. Only Dweezil has done ANYTHING to draw new generations to Frank's music. No disrespect to Joe's fine work.

Thank god for downloading, because ZFT will never get another penny from me... until they start treating the fans properly. The outragious prices are only sending fans - and especially, POTENTIAL fans - away.

die in a bus fire, you fucking dickless piece of shit.

you don't like it here? STAY THE FUCK AWAY THEN!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:16 pm 

eric hasler wrote:
i usually don't comment on this guys posts as they are wayyyy too long to read,but i did see this and made me spit up laughing...anybody else???

When I use to play lots of paddle ball with a group of guys

thanks tredmonger or whatever your name is...this really made me laugh.

What's to laugh about.
Do you know what Paddleball is.

Juniper Valley Paddle Ball - Tournament Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwPpL77H ... re=related

Juniper Valley Park Tournament - Championship Match - 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_tekVLV-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-q80Jc ... re=related

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:07 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
Grimpoteuthis wrote:
just checked RalphAmerica. 6.70 for priority flat rate (usually 3-5) days. This is not for the bullshit low priority media-mail option which basically tells the post office that the package can sit around for a bit before delivery despite being more the capable of having the package reach you. (an option which I would take only if it were FREE)

EDIT: I couldn't check Keneally again although I ordered scambot recently and don't remember getting pissed off at the shipping page like I do every time (less often now) that I go to Barfko-Swill (whose name suddenly becomes oddly appropiate)

I ordered Scambot yesterday, and the shipping charge was $3.37--totally reasonable. Plus, they emailed me later in the day to say that the CD had been shipped.

I just received Scambot from Moosemart today! Damn, that was quick. Shipped first-class from CA to OH for $1.73, so I figure that the remaining $1.64 covered the padded envelope and time taken to process and ship the order. That's the way to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:55 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
zappas crotch wrote:
I stopped coming here years ago. But as I return, probably for the last time, I see nothing has changed. CDs are overpriced by $5. MP3s are overpriced by $5... and there's STILL no advance information about what is being sold. Apparently, most of the people here just enjoy being shit on.

We all love Frank's music. Everything else about this place is insulting, from a couple of the posters (that self promoting ass, http://www.myspace.com/johnnytuscaderodrums, comes to mind first) to the way Frank's most dedicated fans are treated. Only Dweezil has done ANYTHING to draw new generations to Frank's music. No disrespect to Joe's fine work.

Thank god for downloading, because ZFT will never get another penny from me... until they start treating the fans properly. The outragious prices are only sending fans - and especially, POTENTIAL fans - away.

Really useful post. Keep them coming 'Johnny'. :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:24 pm 

Guy Cool wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
zappas crotch wrote:

Really useful post. Keep them coming 'Johnny'. :roll: :roll:

eat bowl of AIDS dicks, asshole!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:22 am 

polydigm wrote:
Totally agreed on the exorbitant shipping costs. Their cheapest international option is roughly twice for almost anything else I've ever bought on the internet. It means I end up paying almost twice the already high disc price ($37 US this time). I'm not into whinging but this needs to be addressed and makes it very hard to buy, which I still do because I just have to have these releases.

Maybe we should put some kind of petition together and send it to Gail.

Personally, I decided not to buy anything from musictoday anymore because of the shipping charges plus the high disc price. I'm not very rich. So now I don't have Philly and I won't have the new one or ANY of the next ones until I find them in used condition. I won't pre-order anything anymore. Someone told that there were less and less people around here to review new releases, ok it's RATJ but I really think that the way of selling these new releases is totally disconnected from the cd market. I have a friend who works in a big record shop and he tells me that almost NO ONE buy cd more than 15$. They can't even understand that a cd costs sometimes 20€ (23$) !
I really think that the future will be sad for zappa fans and zappa.com (sometimes it seems to be almost dead) if they don't understand all that. That's only my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:22 am 

bigbird wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Totally agreed on the exorbitant shipping costs. Their cheapest international option is roughly twice for almost anything else I've ever bought on the internet. It means I end up paying almost twice the already high disc price ($37 US this time). I'm not into whinging but this needs to be addressed and makes it very hard to buy, which I still do because I just have to have these releases.

Maybe we should put some kind of petition together and send it to Gail.

Personally, I decided not to buy anything from musictoday anymore because of the shipping charges plus the high disc price. I'm not very rich. So now I don't have Philly and I won't have the new one or ANY of the next ones until I find them in used condition. I won't pre-order anything anymore. Someone told that there were less and less people around here to review new releases, ok it's RATJ but I really think that the way of selling these new releases is totally disconnected from the cd market. I have a friend who works in a big record shop and he tells me that almost NO ONE buy cd more than 15$. They can't even understand that a cd costs sometimes 20€ (23$) !
I really think that the future will be sad for zappa fans and zappa.com (sometimes it seems to be almost dead) if they don't understand all that. That's only my opinion.

Try these guys for your FZ needs:

http://gandsmusic.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:06 am 

PG wrote:
Try these guys for your FZ needs:

http://gandsmusic.com/

That's a great link - I just ordered the double vinyl album of Guitar and four Japanese vinyl replica CDs (the Panter albums + Does Humor Belong In Music) at a grand total of just over 70 pounds (including postage to Norway) from Gands 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:19 am 

Yes I know gandsmusic but for the new releases, this is the same price as musictoday's (they probably have to pay the very high shipping charges too ...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 am 

bigbird wrote:
Yes I know gandsmusic but for the new releases, this is the same price as musictoday's...)

I live in the UK and now pay G&S less than I previously paid Musictoday - and get them quicker too.

For anyone interested, you can now look at the cover of Greasy Love Songs in greater detail at: http://www.shorefire.com/media/GLS_CD_Package_Retouch2_20100405_94307.jpg

As Joe explained last year, the "unreleased cover of Valerie" (sic) is from the sessions for WOIIFTM. Presumably the Studio Z version of Love Of My Life features the original lead vocal by Ray Collins, rather than the one released by Daani Records with Ron Roman singing. Either way, can't wait (much longer!) to hear this next release.

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:06 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
bigbird wrote:
Yes I know gandsmusic but for the new releases, this is the same price as musictoday's...)

I live in the UK and now pay G&S less than I previously paid Musictoday - and get them quicker too.

For anyone interested, you can now look at the cover of Greasy Love Songs in greater detail at: http://www.shorefire.com/media/GLS_CD_Package_Retouch2_20100405_94307.jpg

As Joe explained last year, the "unreleased cover of Valerie" (sic) is from the sessions for WOIIFTM. Presumably the Studio Z version of Love Of My Life features the original lead vocal by Ray Collins, rather than the one released by Daani Records with Ron Roman singing. Either way, can't wait (much longer!) to hear this next release.

What I (& no doubt the rest of you lovely folks) would like to see is the back cover image :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:36 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
bigbird wrote:

Just when I though you may take some "Bet it’ll be shit…!" editorial stance
for the next 87 Zappa releases I commend you on a great find. Good work Andrew.
What you have found clearly shows a cover scanned example above the flat dimensional view. GZ has once again
made the packaging an important part of the overall production of these 4Tieth Anniversary Audio Documentaries.
I can't wait to get my hands on this. This one is priced at $21 & Frank Zappa One Shot Deal CD which was the last single
disk CD from Zappa Records was $16(Zappa Records ZR 20007, June 13, 2008) had little to no special packaging in comparison to this series.
Take note I did say Zappa records not Vaulternative. OSD did have a great photo and good liner notes!
$5 more no problem, I love the overall 4Tieth Anniversary Audio Documentary experience.

We here at the Trendmonger household have spent 13 thousand dollars on some bathroom and living room furniture upgrades recently. Still in the middle of all this but a new gutted out 5' x 8' bathroom, a sofa and two reclining chairs and one spends 13 thousand. I am not worried about 5 bucks fro if it takes $5 more I know it will be worth it. Keeping existing floor tiling BTW. I could have spent 26 thousand on the same upgrades in that same space but I kept it within reason for what the project it. There are all kinds of projects. Even if it costs a bit more I have 100% faith in Gail Zappa. 87 Gems
and Official Releases 66 Civilization Phaze III to 87 Greasey Love Songs all where she has played a major role
I commend her on all her efforts.

If this is in part of the reasoning as to why this single disk costs us more money, no not my home upgrades the
Audio Documentary production compared to other less expensive Valternatve or Zappa Records Single Disks I for one am glad to
fork over a little more money.GZ deservedly won a Grammy for CPIII. She is following that artistic model when CDs in general
are declining in production feasibility. Gail is trooper. A Teddy Roosevelt of the new millennium. I really hope her efforts
make it to folks beyond a hard core audience. With 87 Official Releases the Audio Documentary gives an overall
scope to the composers work in that project realm. This series should be part of the school system of education.
I hope format media survives and projects of this level of production are going to cost more. The market is small for these
releases. If it were a Audio Documentary MP3 or FLAC it would just not be the same regardless of price point.

The MOFO Project/Object & Lumpy Money were something special.
This being the third in a series has me not only wondering how magnificent this one is
but what is to come. Hot Rats & Joe's Garage are highly anticipated but we have to wonder
how many the series can yield. I think this is going to be something really special.

Even though the drums may only have one of 10 recording tracks the advancements in technology are going to make
the original "Boss First" and all the other Audio Nuggets that make up the 60 minute plus CD a project
that I expect to return to time and time again. That Nash Rambler convertible is sweet.
It's a little big to insert as a photo image here but well worth the click.
:arrow: http://www.shorefire.com/media/GLS_CD_Package_Retouch2_20100405_94307.jpg

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:20 am, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:58 am 

[/quote]

Really useful post. Keep them coming 'Johnny'. :roll: :roll:[/quote]

eat bowl of AIDS dicks, asshole!!![/quote]

Like I said. Keep them coming.
Wait while I get a friendly half-wit pal of mine to pose with a hand gesture for a photo I can use in my sig. :|

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 am 

..me i liked Gary's latest letter ey lot, honestly. Why are you using a fresh new line so many times?

To images in one's profile i would say, by all means, get yourselves a sigil or whatever, start off with what springs to the mind. This little sleight-of-hands makes it so much easier for forum visitors on rock and scrolling, yo-eh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 pm 

Sabretoophairy wrote:
..me i liked Gary's latest letter ey lot, honestly. Why are you using a fresh new line so many times?

To images in one's profile i would say, by all means, get yourselves a sigil or whatever, start off with what springs to the mind. This little sleight-of-hands makes it so much easier for forum visitors on rock and scrolling, yo-eh.

Point taken. Johnny's excellent, but slightly subversive (and very outrageous-my mom and dad were worried that I was involved in some weird sort of porn site when they saw his picture) signature does make his useful contributions easy to identify.

FWIW although I think Gary does 'go on a bit' (unnecessarily most of the time) I do appreciate his enthusiasm for all things Zappa, but wish he would accept that for the most part he is preaching to the converted-WE ALL LIKE FRANK, GARY! (...but maybe we just want more product, immediately and as cheap as possible, and etc etc). We like to complain. It keeps us YOUNG and GORGEOUS!

BTW Sabre, thanks for translating your musings into a form of English that I can understand :o .
I come here to get info on Zappa, and shoot the shit with like-minded folks. Since finding this place, unbelievably after perhaps 20 years of being a big fan, my enthusiasm for Zappa has started to climb again.
Looks like G&S will be getting an order from me very soon.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:40 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

You really are a crazy bastard.
Thanx man.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:31 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
eat bowl of AIDS dicks, asshole!!!

Ha - wow, a true zen saying :roll:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:21 am 

tweezers wrote:
Did you have to say that? That's a nasty image which is now stuck in my head.

:mrgreen: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:49 am 

polydigm wrote:
tweezers wrote:

My bad, but it was funny :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:22 pm 

polydigm wrote:
tweezers wrote:

LOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:50 pm 

Zut_boF wrote:
polydigm wrote:
tweezers wrote:

LOL

The game is fast and cut throat.
Over time I have competed with some of the best players that have ever played the game.
Juniper Park in Middle Village Queens is where I had started playing the game in 1971
and where many of the all time greats have played.

I played a good game in the 70s and 80s teaching my brother to play the game where
he won several championships and has been a top player in the game for 3 decades.
In the 90s I played a bit weekly but the hard cores play as much as they can
even getting out there when it is 20 degrees.

As I said the game is fast and when you play indoors it's not much different
that racquetball with one wall but the ball is smaller, harder and faster. I know many women who compete
and give a great game with the biog boys. Outdoors in the summer when the heat is up is
when the game is at it's peak in the best NYC parks for this sport with sponsored champioships that dwindle
because the game is too fast for TV and the community is too rowdy for the conservative sponsors.
Unfortunately I do not have the time to play much these days but if any people here have the
competition in them surely show up at Juniper, The Bronx or Coney Island where good games are to be had.

Ryan on Fire@ Juniper Valley PArk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-q80Jc ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6-i1Cd7 ... re=related

PADDLEBALL GAMES, BRONX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfLtKfXQGGo&NR=1

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next