Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:03 pm 

Thanks all for your reviews its just gave me more pain to wait :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:58 am 

Just got mine, not my favorite album and i know i wont be listening to it a lot but WOW it sounds awsome... what i realy need and want and must have is dance me this, please gail?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:46 am 

mistrijah wrote:
what i realy need and want and must have is dance me this, please gail?

Would be very nice indeed, here's hopin'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:42 pm 

Suffice to say, everything about about this release is totally awesome. But does the "Anything" lead vocal sound a little low-in-the-mix to anybody else besides me?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:09 am 

My copy arrived this morning. This is a speed record, for delivery to S. Ontario!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:46 pm 

Giacomelli the Younger wrote:
Suffice to say, everything about about this release is totally awesome. But does the "Anything" lead vocal sound a little low-in-the-mix to anybody else besides me?

I listened to see - maybe slightly. Or the rest of the mix is more upfront.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:03 pm 

I got mine today listened it twice, the sound is really good and very well played. Again we can see that Frank is a genius and can make any kind of music better than anybody. The interviews are funny.

Thanks Gail :D

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:35 pm 

i'm listening to this now

wow. thats about all i can say. i have only heard the cd mix, so there is a lot of surprises for me in this original mix :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and the bit about Cheech was very interesting!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:08 pm 

i bought the lp back in the late 70's (i had been searching for it for a loooong time), so i could'nt wait to get it. suffice to say, it was worth the wait. i did notice that "cheap thrills" was missing a note or two at the beginning. i heard ,"..arling,darling, please hear my plea" but that's okay, i can always pull out my lp if i feel the need to hear the whole thing. :wink: a friend did'nt want to hear it way back when because she did'nt like doo-wop (the fool!), she did like "cheap thrills" & "jelly roll gum drop", however. heh,heh. frank singing "valerie" was hilarious, what with the hysterical weeping :mrgreen: , but as he's belting out her name the first time the chorus comes around, he sounds, well, rather nice. no low-grade vocals there. excellent interviews and a wonderful anecdote from cheech marin---who was on celeb jeopardy! tonight---plus the great packaging makes this a must-have. i love the high school yearbook look in the booklet, along with gail telling the tender tale of frank slow dancing with her to cwratj. *sigh* :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:08 pm 

phree four

dancing on the dance-floor
think i have to say no more

Tommy James and the Shondells - Crimson and Clover

Gandalf the last romantiker likes your style, dreamendous Deer, above all measurements. You have tinseled my day wonder-way. Mercy bjornk :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
i bought the lp back in the late 70's (i had been searching for it for a loooong time), so i could'nt wait to get it. suffice to say, it was worth the wait. i did notice that "cheap thrills" was missing a note or two at the beginning. i heard ,"..arling,darling, please hear my plea" but that's okay, i can always pull out my lp if i feel the need to hear the whole thing. :wink: a friend did'nt want to hear it way back when because she did'nt like doo-wop (the fool!), she did like "cheap thrills" & "jelly roll gum drop", however. heh,heh. frank singing "valerie" was hilarious, what with the hysterical weeping :mrgreen: , but as he's belting out her name the first time the chorus comes around, he sounds, well, rather nice. no low-grade vocals there. excellent interviews and a wonderful anecdote from cheech marin---who was on celeb jeopardy! tonight---plus the great packaging makes this a must-have. i love the high school yearbook look in the booklet, along with gail telling the tender tale of frank slow dancing with her to cwratj. *sigh* :lol:

Sabretoophairy wrote:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=34798005

Gandalf the last romantiker likes your style, dreamendous Deer, above all measurements. You have tinseled my day wonder-way. Mercy bjornk

So your hot for dove_grey,and Bjorn? Aw :cry: a greasy little love song in the making...
You just never know! :mrgreen: LOL

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 pm 

I got it!! As mentioned above, the opening notes of "Cheap Thrills" are missing. There's a few other differences as compared to the original LP, but very slight differences. I'm quite pleased with this release! :mrgreen: I haven't listened to the bonus tracks yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:51 pm 

Mine arrived yesterday. Nice package! listening to it now! sounds fantastic! Guitar solo on Stuff up the cracks is bitchen!
Thanks ZFT! And if you are preparing the same thing for Uncle Meat, how about a short film of Dweezil and the Vaultmeister going through the tracks on some of the cuts like on the Apostrophe/Overnite dvd.

Keep it up! Remember....If you release it, i'll buy it.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:34 am 

The bonus tracks are excellent!! I have the original 45 of "Valarie," and Frank's vocal nails it! It sounds just like the original tune.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:40 am 

HoranceCornsnaps wrote:
I got it!! As mentioned above, the opening notes of "Cheap Thrills" are missing. There's a few other differences as compared to the original LP, but very slight differences. I'm quite pleased with this release! :mrgreen: I haven't listened to the bonus tracks yet.

RE: Cheap Thrills, My Ruben LP and Greasy LS CD are identical ?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:30 am 

In the song Anything, Ray's voice is way to low compared to the cd version, we cant hardly appreciate the beauty of his voice.
and his voice look blended in a compressor or something its not sounding natural.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:40 am 

Zut_boF wrote:
In the song Anything, Ray's voice is way to low compared to the cd version, we cant hardly appreciate the beauty of his voice.
and his voice look blended in a compressor or something its not sounding natural.

While Ray's voice seems to be back in the mix substantially compared to the re-mixed CD version, it sounds like it sits at the same level as the original vinyl. I'd also say that the compression/EQ of his vocals are comparable to the original vinyl mix and you're familiar with the CD re-mix version. I agree though, you can hear his voice personality better in the CD remix (but it's "too present" on that version, in my opinion)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:36 pm 

Received the jewel yesterday in my mailbox.

Yeah, it sounds good but... it's so fucking loud!

This was surprising: I actually had to decrease the volume a lot because the compressed sound did hurt my ears. I am not really used to this kind of 'statistical density'.

Overview of Zappa ZR 20010 (click on the picture to magnify):

Detailed view of the digital clipping @54'16''8120 for the fanatics of square waves:

Fortunately my homemade LP transfer to CD does not hurt my ears.

Overview of MGM Verve V6 5055-X:

Fucking loudness war! :cry:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm 

Maroual wrote:

This was surprising: I actually had to decrease the volume a lot because the compressed sound did hurt my ears. I am not really used to this kind of 'statistical density'.

Detailed view of the digital clipping @54'16''8120 for the fanatics of square waves:

Tell me about it. I normalize all of my mp3 audio library with Album Gain (not Track Gain but Album Gain) at 92db via MP3Gain - highly recommended!

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:46 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Tell me about it. I normalize all of my mp3 audio library with Album Gain (not Track Gain but Album Gain) at 92db via MP3Gain - highly recommended!

What you wrote is killing me man, seriously :shock:
I am happy I encode the music myself so I know how it's done, and I don't do mp3 and lossy codecs anymore.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:50 pm 

Maroual wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

What you wrote is killing me man, seriously :shock:
I am happy I encode the music myself so I know how it's done, and I don't do mp3 and lossy codecs anymore.

Killing you in a good way or a bad way? I normalize them in an attempt to have consistency with my entire library and "enforcing" albums that are loudness maximized to shit (i.e. 95% of albums currently being released) to sound "tolerable". <shudder>

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:20 am 

Maroual wrote:

Sad that 1960s stuff should be destroyed like this. Could this have anything to do with John Polito? He fucked up the Buffalo release as well (and is one of Trendmonger's favorite mastering engineers :D )

Last edited by HJ on Sun May 09, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:49 am 

"Everything louder than everything else" - Ian Gillan (or something like that)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:15 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
how about a short film of Dweezil and the Vaultmeister going through the tracks on some of the cuts like on the Apostrophe/Overnite dvd.

I take any of those, i like very much video documents, especially that the vault is full of visual tapes.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:19 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Killing you in a good way or a bad way? I normalize them in an attempt to have consistency with my entire library and "enforcing" albums that are loudness maximized to shit (i.e. 95% of albums currently being released) to sound "tolerable". <shudder>

IMHO encoding DR-compressed music in a lossy format and normalizing the sound afterwards just seems like an evil sequence of destructive processes that affect the signal :evil:
Even if you're using Replay Gain with the album-gain option which does not destroy the sound and respect an average volume at the whole album scale, I do not clearly understand why it is so hard to adjust the volume manually.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next