Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:01 am 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
tweezers wrote:
Francesco, and i too have trouble with some of Weasels.

Weasels is an astonishing album

It takes time to really get into.

It took me 20 years

Yes, it took me 20 years

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:45 am 

Florentine Pogen wrote:
tweezers wrote:
Francesco, and i too have trouble with some of Weasels.

Weasels is an astonishing album

It takes time to really get into.

It took me 20 years

Yes, it took me 20 years

I've always loved Weasels. It took me one listen, when I was fifteen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:15 am 

I liked Weasels from first listen too (granted I heard it for the first time in 1990 when the Ryko CD came out, and I had listened to quite a bit of avant garde jazz by then) but am curious why tweezers has trouble with some of it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:39 am 

I have trouble with the fiddle parts - I'm just not keen on the fiddle played like that.
The last third of the album is great, but I have other versions of those tracks I like better on other albums.
TT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:51 am 

I'm actually listening to Weasels at this very moment that I'm reading this. Oh, the irony. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:37 am 

:smoke:

Last edited by wakawazooinregalia' on Fri May 02, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:23 pm 

Well, i don't like so much Cruisin'(CD version) Fillmore East and parts of Sheik. I also don't like so much You Are What You Is, Tinseltown Rebellion, Them Or Us, The Man From Utopia or Thing Fish(in fact I don't like how Ike Willis sings so much. Love Joe's Garage, tho). But the worst album by Frank is Playground Psycothics. But, if Francesco counts...
Also there are some things from Ship/Witch that I never liked. I haven't heard anything of the posthumous releases(except from CPIII and Läther) so I don't count it.

Last edited by wakawazooinregalia' on Fri May 02, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:17 pm 

mascarasnake21 wrote:
Not a fan of The Grand Wazoo at all, really (and I quite like his jazz stuff...Sleep Dirt and Hot Rats, especially).

WHAT :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The Grand Wazoo is the best jazz record from Frank. It was my favourite album for some time(then I heard Uncle Meat and Burnt Weeny Sandwich) and still makes top 5 easily.
At least give it another chance.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:17 pm 

I used to think Grand Wazoo was his best Jazz album. Listened to it so much, now I prefer Waka/Jawaka. Listen to it the most. Definitely in my top 3 Zappa albums, might be my number 1.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:06 am 

The re-recorded Money and Cruisin' top the list of least favorite for me. There are a few others but these two really pissed me off.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:57 am 

"Money" and "Cruising" were sort of "easy targets" for Frank's revisionist tendencies. Y'know, he must've been thinking: "I just can't go for these simplistic poorly recorded drum parts of 1967-68, so I'll add a real drummer with a modern drum sound!". More baffling is Chad Wackerman on "Sleep Dirt" overtaking from Chester Thompson. Dude, WTF? It's not like Chester was an unskilled drummer by your stringent standards! I really do appreciate Chester's drumming better when put next to Chad's tendencies to overplay.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:56 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
More baffling is Chad Wackerman on "Sleep Dirt" overtaking from Chester Thompson. Dude, WTF? It's not like Chester was an unskilled drummer by your stringent standards! I really do appreciate Chester's drumming better when put next to Chad's tendencies to overplay.

On Thing Fish Chad replaced tracks by Terry Bozzio and Vinnie Colaiuta, as well as several of his own tracks from concert recordings. My guess is that FZ objected more to the drum sound than the performances.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:40 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I used to think Grand Wazoo was his best Jazz album. Listened to it so much, now I prefer Waka/Jawaka. Listen to it the most. Definitely in my top 3 Zappa albums, might be my number 1.

In my opinion:

1. The Grand Wazoo
2. Waka Jawaka
3. Hot Rats
4. Sleep Dirt

Waka Jawaka's jazz songs are better than the ones in Grand Wazoo(don't count Blessed Relief) but I think The Grand Wazoo is a lot more solid, I mean it doesn't have any weak track, they are 5 of the best songs by frank. Waka Jawaka has 2 songs that make it into my top 5 and 2 that don't make it into my top 50. Every Grand Wazoo song is at least in my top 20(The Grand Wazoo, and For Calvin probably into my top 10, and Blessed Relief is on top 5). Hot Rats is great but not that great, and Sleep Dirt has The Ocean.

Probably my favourite jazz song by Frank is King Kong

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:54 pm 

Well, FZ certainly pulled off a successful re-invention of himself as a big band jazz composer in 1972. "Swifty", "Waka", "Wazoo", "Calvin", "Blessed Relief" are all great tracks. Let alone all the stuff he wrote for the Grand and Petit Wazoo live bands.

I certainly wish ZPZ would one day experiment with adding a large brass section to the lineup. Invariably this would mean they would have to lean a bit heavier on the ZINY/1988 side of the big-band fence (they would have to do vocals after all), but imagine ZPZ finally tackling pieces like "The Grand Wazoo", "For Calvin" and "Waka/Jawaka"!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:23 am 

I wonder if, with all the drum overdubs, Zappa perhaps got noise deaf over all those years of performing without proper ear protection. You know, the kind of noise deaf that makes you hyper-sensitive towards certain sharp sounds. Or maybe he couldn't hear the overtones anymore and objected for that reason.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:15 pm 

Maybe he just enjoyed he new sound and technology and possibly abused it a bit. I don't know. Though I don't think his digital stuff sounds as cold as most people do. TOU to me sounds amazing, some of the best audio ever. But lots of reviews bash it for sounding sterile, I'll admit Whipping Post sounds better live though.

I don't think Waka has a weak track, Your Mouth and the title track are my favorites, possibly of all time (along with Drowning Witch/Envelopes). To me For Calvin is the weakest link on TGW.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:47 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
More baffling is Chad Wackerman on "Sleep Dirt" overtaking from Chester Thompson.

The only drumming I don't like on Sleep Dirt is CTs regyptian strut - that floor tom on the 6th beat is as annoying as the Willie The Pimp maraccas and the Night School 'squelchs'.
I like Chad a lot - especially on Broadway The Hardway. I even love him for transforming vinnie's wanky Outside Now drums into one of FZs best ever tunes.
TT

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:46 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Maybe he just enjoyed he new sound and technology and possibly abused it a bit. I don't know. Though I don't think his digital stuff sounds as cold as most people do. TOU to me sounds amazing, some of the best audio ever. But lots of reviews bash it for sounding sterile, I'll admit Whipping Post sounds better live though.

I don't think Waka has a weak track, Your Mouth and the title track are my favorites, possibly of all time (along with Drowning Witch/Envelopes). To me For Calvin is the weakest link on TGW.

I love For Calvin. I forgot to mention that I did the opposite as you: Waka Jawaka was my favourite, but I overplayed it, so now I don't like too much the vocal tracks. I mean, they're not bad, but I like better some stuff in The Grand Wazoo.

Waka Jawaka:
Big Swifty: 10
Your Mouth: 9
It Just Might Be A One Shot Deal: 9
Waka Jawaka: 10
Total: 9.5

The Grand Wazoo:
For Calvin: 9.5
The Grand Wazoo: 9.8
Cleetus Awreetus Allrightus: 9.3
Eat That Question: 9.5
Blessed Relief: 10
Total: 9.6

I like The Grand Wazoo slightly better. Did I explained it clearly?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:43 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
I liked Weasels from first listen too (granted I heard it for the first time in 1990 when the Ryko CD came out, and I had listened to quite a bit of avant garde jazz by then) but am curious why tweezers has trouble with some of it.

Not the dissonance so much, but it really seems like the most half-finished of the MOI canon.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:41 am 

I'd give that title to Absolutely Free, given the very short time frame FZ had to make it.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:01 pm 

Anything with the Synclavier... I have no use for that stuff.

Give me a live band anytime...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:42 pm 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
Well, i don't like so much Cruisin'(CD version) Fillmore East and parts of Sheik. I also don't like so much You Are What You Is, Tinseltown Rebellion, Them Or Us, The Man From Utopia or Thing Fish(in fact I don't like how Ike Willis sings so much. Love Joe's Garage, tho). But the worst album by Frank is Playground Psycothics. But, if Francesco counts...
Also there are some things from Ship/Witch that I never liked. I haven't heard anything of the posthumous releases(except from CPIII and Läther) so I don't count it.

You certainly don't count dear friend

That is just too much to dislike and still remain a true Zappa disciple!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:01 pm 

Florentine Pogen wrote:

You certainly don't count dear friend

That is just too much to dislike and still remain a true Zappa disciple!

I don't "dislike" it, i only don't listen to them so frequently as the other 30 albums i own.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:11 am 

For me, it would be a tossup between Francesco (which I don't REALLY count as a Zappa album, usually) and Thing-Fish.

I'm not a huge fan of YAWYI or Them Or Us, but they both have shining moments that redeem them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:28 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:

I love For Calvin. I forgot to mention that I did the opposite as you: Waka Jawaka was my favourite, but I overplayed it, so now I don't like too much the vocal tracks. I mean, they're not bad, but I like better some stuff in The Grand Wazoo.

Waka Jawaka:
Big Swifty: 10
Your Mouth: 9
It Just Might Be A One Shot Deal: 9
Waka Jawaka: 10
Total: 9.5

The Grand Wazoo:
For Calvin: 9.5
The Grand Wazoo: 9.5
Cleetus Awreetus Allrightus: 9.5
Eat That Question: 9.5
Blessed Relief: 10
Total: 9.6

I like The Grand Wazoo slightly better. Did I explained it clearly?

Man, I heard Waka/Jawaka again, and it was mind-blowing! Big Swifty is classic. The last 2 minutes of the song, when the horns come in and play the melody, are one of my 2 personally favourite moments on any Zappa album. The vocal tracks are charming. Waka/Jawaka is equal to Big Swifty, and the ending melody is also majestic, the other best moment of the album.

But, indeed, not liking The Grand Wazoo! It has to be a troll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next