Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:29 am 

Francesco Zappa, mainly because it isn't Zappa's own music. Repackaging some second rate classical composer (judging from what's on the album anyway) mainly because by coincidence they happen to have the same name isn't exactly material for a full official release, and the electronic instrument he used doesn't help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:47 am 

Cruisin' is my least fave Zappa album.
I understand what Frank was going for, but it falls flat to these ears.
(Not that I don't put it on every now and again, anyways!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:58 pm 

Francesco Zappa for me. The whole album rests on a single gimmick, and has little value besides that. The music of Francesco is pretty average by classical standards and the synclavier doesn't add anything to it, so what's the point? The joke is that they share the same name, could have been done as a single song instead of a whole album.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:00 am 

Opus131 wrote:
Francesco Zappa for me. The whole album rests on a single gimmick, and has little value besides that. The music of Francesco is pretty average by classical standards and the synclavier doesn't add anything to it, so what's the point? The joke is that they share the same name, could have been done as a single song instead of a whole album.

I agree with this.

I find Francesco's music a little less unenjoyable when it is played by an actual orchestra.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 pm 

It's just uninteresting. You can even use it as background music!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:13 pm 

man from utopia,tinletown rebellon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:14 pm 

wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
It's just uninteresting. You can even use it as background music!

Exactly - for a Christmas date with Sy Borg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:15 pm 

transformation wrote:

Man From Utopia is bad at the beginning, but when you get into it, the only bad songs are Cocaine Desicions and Stick Together. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:55 pm 

Stick Together's a weird specimen. In the UK, it would be normal for post-punk groups to cut reggae tunes as a hipster genre exercise and also to carry a vaguely left-wing social message, mostly against Thatcher. So when Zappa does a reggae song, not only is it a more studied and less hip of a genre exercise, it's also got a social message that could be construed as vaguely Thatcherite, or at least compatible with Thatcherite values. If anyone in England would've written that song, then at the time of the miners' strike he would've been vilified as a reactionary. But in the USA, Zappa gets credit as a libertarian rocker.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:21 pm 

transformation wrote:

Man From Utopia is bad at the beginning, but when you get into it, the only bad songs are Cocaine Desicions and Stick Together. :wink:

Cocaine decisions is pretty decent. But I see why some people think it is boring. The only good thing about Stick Together is the base. But the rest of the song is dull. Nothing really goes on with it. Short enough to not be a bother though. Moggio is still the best thing on the album by far. I may even prefer the remix to the vinyl. It sounds so other wordly.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:58 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
transformation wrote:

Cocaine decisions is pretty decent. But I see why some people think it is boring. The only good thing about Stick Together is the base. But the rest of the song is dull. Nothing really goes on with it. Short enough to not be a bother though. Moggio is still the best thing on the album by far. I may even prefer the remix to the vinyl. It sounds so other wordly.

I got into Cocaine Decisions a little. Now it's ok. Stick Together, a bit boring. Luigi, sorry, but I personally can't stand it. The rest is great. The highlight is Moggio for me too, The Radio Is Broken being a close second.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:06 pm 

I used to really dislike The Radio Is Broken but I love it now. I love that album so much.

Moggio is the fucking king of early 80's instrumental.

Luigi and the wise guys is hilarious. Wish it was on the vinyl, had to buy the CD to get it!

Double dork butt rash...

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:09 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I used to really dislike The Radio Is Broken but I love it now. I love that album so much.

Moggio is the fucking king of early 80's instrumental.

I loved Radio since first time I heard it. Moggio is superb, but Alien Orifice is equal no1 of them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10