Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 am
Posts: 1202
cleon wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
madcow1515 wrote:

I like You Are What You Is, but I can understand how its aggressively overstuffed and over-the-top production can be grating for some people. Plus, I don't really understand why Frank speed so many of the songs up. The Crush All Boxes versions of those songs sound much better to me.


Not sure if the speedup on YAWYI was intentional. The amount varies - side four is closer to correct pitch than the rest. SUNPYG was also sped up in the original vinyl version (and the 90's Ryko CD, but not the 80's CD).

Sheik Yerbouti is also speed(sped) up Bob brown and Yo mama seem too be correct pitch though 8)


I think only "Rat Tomago" and possibly "Rubber Shirt" are sped up on that record.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: exile
playground psychotics

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6918
Location: South wales
I checked the cd again maybe the first track is correct pitch also the title track is not for sure.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2344
Location: Europe
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
playground psychotics

I don't like all the talking on it (all this idea about "reporting" and "documenting" life on the road simply doesn't work for me - it's probably fun to listen to if you had been present). But some of the live stuff are really great. Billy the Mountain is better than on JABFLA, I think.

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:58 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Birmingham, AL
I gave Tinseltown Rebellion another listen (for the first time in a few years), and it's much better than I'd remembered. I still hate the two audience participation tracks, but the music is pretty good. This version of Brown Shoes actually rivals the original for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: exile
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
playground psychotics
HJ wrote:
I don't like all the talking on it (all this idea about "reporting" and "documenting" life on the road simply doesn't work for me - it's probably fun to listen to if you had been present). But some of the live stuff are really great. Billy the Mountain is better than on JABFLA, I think.
I think the whole period with flo & eddie pretty much sucks. talking or singing.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:38 am
Posts: 1071
Location: Centerville, Norway
This is a fun thread, but every album mentioned here will have some fans, you know. I was cautious about Flo & Eddie early on, so Playground Psychotics was my first album with them, apart from Chunga's Revenge and 200 Motels. I like it! I think the social anthropology is funny and illuminating, and there is some really good music on there. Brixton Still Life, Sharleena, Wino Man, Mom & Dad - and that ferocious keyboard solo in Billy the Mountain, which is sorely missing in the JABFLA version. I've had more fun out of PP than 200 Motels and the other Flo & Eddie albums, to tell you the truth. And it's not just because I wanna be a contrarian, either 8)

_________________
We make a special art in an environment hostile to dreamers. Frank Zappa, 1971


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:41 am
Posts: 1179
madcow1515 wrote:
I gave Tinseltown Rebellion another listen (for the first time in a few years), and it's much better than I'd remembered. I still hate the two audience participation tracks, but the music is pretty good. This version of Brown Shoes actually rivals the original for me.


Well, judging by my username on here I think I'm a fan of 'Panty Rap'..."Voodoo Butter Underpants" anyone?!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:58 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Birmingham, AL
Dark Clothes wrote:
This is a fun thread, but every album mentioned here will have some fans, you know. I was cautious about Flo & Eddie early on, so Playground Psychotics was my first album with them, apart from Chunga's Revenge and 200 Motels. I like it! I think the social anthropology is funny and illuminating, and there is some really good music on there. Brixton Still Life, Sharleena, Wino Man, Mom & Dad - and that ferocious keyboard solo in Billy the Mountain, which is sorely missing in the JABFLA version. I've had more fun out of PP than 200 Motels and the other Flo & Eddie albums, to tell you the truth. And it's not just because I wanna be a contrarian, either 8)

I've always been kinder to Flo and Eddie than most Zappa fans. Fillmore East was one of the first Zappa albums I heard thanks to good ol' dad's collection. While it's definitely not anywhere close to being one of my favorites, I'll always have a special place in my heart for the non-dialog tracks that I put on my Zappa mix tape over 15 years ago. Plus, Chunga's Revenge rocks, and I've grown to love 200 Motels over the years. JABFLA and Playground Psychotics are the only ones I'm a little iffy on, and even those have some tracks I really like.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:41 pm
Posts: 995
Location: E--> CA, the dancinest place2b
I thought it was unanimous that Jazz from Hell was the "worst". I still enjoy it. I love hearing the songs from this album played by a real band.

_________________
Nothing is what I want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 am
Posts: 19
Location: Charleston, SC
I think all of his albums have their detractors. I actually know people who dislike Apostrophe' as strange as that may seem. I would say that I listen to Francesco the least though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:49 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5692
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Definitely Francesco though I don't necessarily hate it. I like everything else, even the vocalized version of Sleep Dirt and the penalty tracks on UM.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:58 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Birmingham, AL
Francesco is the only non-posthumous official release that I've never bothered picking up. I'm sure it's not awful, but I've just never been motivated to buy an album of Synclavier-performed pieces that Frank didn't write.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:39 pm
Posts: 14
Jazz from Hell is my least favorite. I appreciate the skill behind the compositions, but I sometimes find it difficult to get past the "cheesy" tone of the synclavier. Though G-Spot Tornado is a pretty mindblowing composition, and I like the guitar track off that album.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 am
Posts: 19
Location: Charleston, SC
You know what. Most of the Beat The Boots releases kind of suck, IMO.

_________________
"I was born to have adventure, so I just followed up the steps..."
[url]mirroruniversetapes.blogspot.com[/url]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:39 pm
Posts: 14
Oh yeah some of the beat the boots ones are definitely absolutely horrendous. Some of them have some great stuff, but others have such terrible sound quality that they're pretty much unlistenable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:58 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Birmingham, AL
THETEH wrote:
Oh yeah some of the beat the boots ones are definitely absolutely horrendous. Some of them have some great stuff, but others have such terrible sound quality that they're pretty much unlistenable.

The first two Beat the Boots albums I bought were the worst sounding ones: Freaks & Motherfuckers and Unmitigated Audacity. God knows what motivated me to buy any other ones after that. It's been ages since I've bothered listening to any of them. I never bothered tracking down any titles from the second series. They're long out of print, and I'm sure not paying collector's prices for any of them. Guess I've just never been a bootleg guy. There's so much officially released and professionally recorded live material out there that I just don't have the interest in them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 am
Posts: 1547
what would we be doing if there was no last fm scrobble radio available. ..over and loud, sky's the blimmin limit, or woahhhh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:39 pm
Posts: 14
There are a few good moments on the beat the boots ones. There's one with a lot of instrumental stuff...I forget which one it is, but it has a crazy rendition of t'mershi duween and some other good stuff...there's a great version of the always cool "Black Page No. 2" on another beat the boots...but the more I think about it the more I think that the "worst" zappa album would be one of the beat the boots albums, maybe "unmitigated audacity" with sound quality that's unbelievably bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am
Posts: 2458
I've always thought that 'Tis the season is a bit of gem and I really like Meat / Kong from The Ark, Boston

_________________
"drums are too noisy, 'n you've got no corners to hide in"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:24 am
Posts: 936
Location: Oh, in the sky
Never really cared for Utopia or Drowning Witch.

Witch has a couple of good moments but.. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:01 pm
Posts: 261
Location: SBD CA
Philmore wrote:
Never really cared for Utopia or Drowning Witch.

Witch has a couple of good moments but.. :P


Anyone and all who have to discover what the worst zappa album is, I think you should go check out a little Limp Bizkit or Creed, that should get you going! :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13138
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
My favs... Utopia and Ship/Witch are getting a bad rap.Give them and JFH a second chance! You know we got to Stick Together,in the Dangerous Kitchen,while Mary Lou steals my watch and chain! No Not Now? Maybe later?
Why are you..... bing bong.....scuze me ladies and germs.... theres my Teenage Prostitute.Quick put on your Jazz Discharge Party Hats,Tink Walks Amok among us,don't fear I speak Zappanese! :lol:
The worst FZ is in the ear of the listener.... Like if there was any FZ that didn't challenge and push everyone's Envelope it's to be expected.Not shunned.
That sounds like you think FZ was just a POP artist for your listening experience.If FZ diviates from FZ's percieved sound...is it bad?
Hey,like Frank said on Freak Out,"do ya love it,do ya hate it,there it is the way you made it...wow!" He made it his way.:idea:
Sorry didn't mean to preach or over react to someone who don't like FZ's music once in a while.We all have faults....I'm on the San Andreas fault myself. :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:01 pm
Posts: 261
Location: SBD CA
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
My favs... Utopia and Ship/Witch are getting a bad rap.Give them and JFH a second chance! You know we got to Stick Together,in the Dangerous Kitchen,while Mary Lou steals my watch and chain! No Not Now? Maybe later?
Why are you..... bing bong.....scuze me ladies and germs.... theres my Teenage Prostitute.Quick put on your Jazz Discharge Party Hats,Tink Walks Amok among us,don't fear I speak Zappanese! :lol:
The worst FZ is in the ear of the listener.... Like if there was any FZ that didn't challenge and push everyone's Envelope it's to be expected.Not shunned.
That sounds like you think FZ was just a POP artist for your listening experience.If FZ diviates from FZ's percieved sound...is it bad?
Hey,like Frank said on Freak Out,"do ya love it,do ya hate it,there it is the way you made it...wow!" He made it his way.:idea:
Sorry didn't mean to preach or over react to someone who don't like FZ's music once in a while.We all have faults....I'm on the San Andreas fault myself. :mrgreen:


I think you misunderstood me there, I think there is plenty of shitty music (LimpBizKit, Creed....)out there and why not place a bad rap on that music rather than F.Z.'s?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:28 pm
Posts: 4
Francesco Zappa, with an 8/10. It's the only Zappa album I've heard (70+ so far) that I'd give less than 9/10.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group