Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:06 am 

Thinman wrote:
Third person added to my ignore list: cleon. The others are Isaac and Trendmonger.

Th.

cleon is the only person on my list now since Isaac has been banned and I have not seen trendy post in awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:08 am 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Third person added to my ignore list: cleon. The others are Isaac and Trendmonger.

Th.

cleon is the only person on my list now since Isaac has been banned and I have not seen trendy post in awhile.
Galoot i'll after let you go,your too week and there if fresh Meat on the Bridge :D
nOW YOUR dumb ass is adios :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:11 am 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
… I have not seen trendy post in awhile.

Yeah. He went off brownnosing at dweezilzappaworld.com now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:17 am 

Thinman wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
… I have not seen trendy post in awhile.

Yeah. He went off brownnosing at dweezilzappaworld.com now.

Ah yes our very own ZFT spokesperson......Read it and Weep!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:29 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Is CD a thing of the past?
those things are still around?
i can't remember the last time i bought one
i buy a lot of new vinyl here, though i prefer to buy directly from the artist if possible
there are two indie stores in town that sell new vinyl
(there are others but these are the two main ones downtown - of course the chain stores all sell vinyl again, or at least offer to order it)
the indie stores vinyl sections continue to grow, while the CD sections continue to shrink
in fact one of them is opening up a new location strictly for vinyl

Last edited by mufnman17 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:27 am 

mufnman17 wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Is CD a thing of the past?
those things are still around?
though i prefer to buy directly from the artist if possible

http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/ ... rt=&page=0 :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:15 pm 

cleon wrote:
pygmy stallion wrote:
Cleon's still beating this dead horse?

Whats up Retard :smoke: :D

You're still struggling with the finer points of the English language, I see.

"Ya like horses?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:22 am 

pygmy stallion wrote:
cleon wrote:
pygmy stallion wrote:
Cleon's still beating this dead horse?

Whats up Retard :smoke: :D

You're still struggling with the finer points of the English language, I see.

Where is the struggle Asshole 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:22 am 

Here, LP's are back in some supermarkets.

What's wrong with things of the past anyway?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:03 pm 

Thinman wrote:

Th.

But... that's my list. I should have copyrighted it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:25 pm 

I saw some 8 tracks in a used book store today. Fuck vinyl!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:26 am 

Maroual wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Th.

But... that's my list. I should have copyrighted it.

Yeah sure I believe you thousands wouldn't what a Asshole ignore :D and mouthing your opinion a Dumb Asshole :smoke: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:36 am 

ZackGlickman wrote:
Here, LP's are back in some supermarkets.

What's wrong with things of the past anyway?
Took you over a Year and i still have not got a clue as too what your on about :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:16 am 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Anyone happy Isaac is a thing of the past?

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 am 

polydigm wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Anyone happy Isaac is a thing of the past?

:mrgreen:

You've inspired me to start a new thread poly......... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:57 pm 

I'm glad to see vinyl go. I did like the 12" artwork, and the double albums were great to clean the seeds out of my weed, but as an audiophile I was always fighting to keep them clean and scratch-free. Especially when my roommate wasn't as anal about album care as I was.

CDs are a lot better and easier to clean if you have to, but I have the same problem with my wife, who can't seem to keep her fingers off the playing surface.

The future -- or perhaps the present -- is in MP3s and similar media. I still prefer CDs of the stuff I really like (like Zappa), just in case I accidentally delete/corrupt a downloaded file or experience a hard drive crash. But I can put a lot of music on a thumb drive and am really lovin' that!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:23 pm 

I'm delighted to see that there are so many people who want nothing to do with vinyl records. That helps keep prices in check for those of us do prefer the incredibly rich sound of vinyl to the darn good sound of a CD. I too would have argued in favour of CD's until this past summer when I bought my dream turntable. A Thorens with a Stanton 681 EEE on it. I was absolutely stunned by the quality of the sound. Sure CD's are less trouble. But then cooking a hamburger is less trouble than preparing a prime rib roast. Take your pick. One more thing..........this morning at a nearby Thrift Store I found a brand new Andre Gagnon vinyl record for 50 cents. OK...not everybody likes Andre Gagnon. But I enjoy most of his stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:36 pm 

When I first started buying CD's, I too was convinced they sounded better than vinyl. They are more robust and they take up a lot less space than LP's do. But in June of this year I purchased my dream turntable. It's a 1971 Thorens with a Stanton 681 EEE cartridge. Spent over $300 refurbishing it. I put on several Zappa records and was blown away by the sound. All of a sudden I'm hearing notes I never noticed before and hearing instruments I hadn't been aware of before. My previous table wasn't a cheapie, but the step up in quality made a huge difference. But don't take my word for it. If you are in a major urban centre, there must be a stereo shop that runs comparison vinyl/CD demos once in awhile. Go listen for yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:36 pm 

This is my third and final attempt to write something in this thread. My last turntable was a Lenco L82 which I bought decades ago. Always happy with it. Like so many people I started buying CD's at one point in time and found the sound was much better. Last summer I replaced my Lenco with my dream table, a 1971 Thorens with a Stanton 681 EEE cartridge. Just having it refurbished cost me over $300. The sound that now comes out of my speakers blows me away. I'm hearing notes I never noticed before and certain instruments are more prominent than before. Today, I'll take vinyl over digital any time. But don't take my word for it. Contact a stereo store where you live and ask if they ever do vinyl vs CD demos. Ask them if they know anyone who does. Check it out for yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:07 am 

I would have agreed with that statement for a very long time, but not any more. In June of this year I finally bought my dream turntable. It is 40 years old and I spent over $300 just having it refurbished. The sound quality is so much better than my previous table, it just blows me away. I'm hearing notes and instruments that I never noticed before, whether on vinyl or on CD. Ya sure there is the odd pop or scratch on my records but overall they are in excellent shape. And now I would rather buy the vinyl version when it's available. All the arguments against vinyl in this thread are perfectly valid, but give me vinyl any day. But don't take my word for it. Call your local stereo shop and ask if they ever run demos that compare vinyl and CD's. Let your ears be the judge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:10 pm 

vinylfan wrote:
Contact a stereo store where you live and ask if they ever do vinyl vs CD demos.
The intention is good, but how could a store avoid bias in such a demo?
I do not think that they would rigorously perform double-blind tests.
Which hardware should be used?
There have always been so many different mastering techniques involved in making records, which masters should be used?
A demo is a demo, and a gross margin is a gross margin. I would rather trust an independant laboratory.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:38 pm 

No I love and still buy records, the warmth the depth etc however listening to snap crackle pop snap crackle pop snap crackle pop is not my idea of a good time. Most of my vinyl collection is pristine, I have a quality turntable and cartridge, I have the obligatory "cleaning arm" mink cleaning mit, zero stat gun etc etc and still in certain sensitive musical moments the audible buzz killing snap crackle and pop.
However with the advent of the multi disc cd player, and the computer music file, the often tedious exercise of crossing the room, selecting, removing, cleaning and finaly playing one side of an lp is now thankfully for special occasions only.
To my aging ears, audio quality versus convenience....no contest cd's get my vote, I'd rather spent my time listening than preparing to listen, plus as I have many many bootlegs the audio quality is already compromised.

I have a good friend (hard to believe I know) who has invested an obscene amount of money on his audio system and his grounds for divorce purpose built laboratory like acoustically correct music room, extractor fans for a dust free environment, lint free furniture and carpets etc. The results are impressive but dispite all of his preperations and white gloved precautions, vacuuming guests etc, snap crackle and pop are still regular guests. It makes me laugh and drives him crazy, ahhh but thats what good friends are for.

Last edited by Gray_Ghost on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:22 pm 

Burlap. Now I'm happy that's a thing of the past.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:37 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Burlap. Now I'm happy that's a thing of the past.
yea, my old burlap yellow label dj promo freak out! [with burlap inner sleeve] definately chewed up the stylus pretty quick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:42 pm 

You Guys :mrgreen:

I'd laugh out loud but in NZ, it's taxed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next