Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:58 am 

Seems there will always be some Asshole who cling on like shit too a arse.
But the handful that say vinyl this and that,are thin on the ground :smoke:

This is what old FZ had too say.

I like a CD because it's convenient, and to my ear it sounds better than vinyl, because I always hated the squashed dynamic range and the intrusion of all those little crackles. FZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:52 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
acoustically correct music room, extractor fans for a dust free environment, lint free furniture and carpets etc. The results are impressive but dispite all of his preperations and white gloved precautions, vacuuming guests etc, snap crackle and pop are still regular guests.
This is why I hate discussing with self-proclaimed audiophiles.
They work hard and spend indecent loads of money to optimize less than 0.01% of the sound quality while their expensive DIY installations are often paradoxal and have many other important gaps.

Another kind of example: I was recently invited to watch a movie on an expensive installation with a 1080p projector and a 5.1 true HD receiver.
The owner never uses his subwoofer and puts the volume to the minimum in order to avoid waking up his kids and neighbours.
And he mainly plays mkv files in shitty AC3 sound and his picture - which is placed too high and broke my neck - is always squeezed due to a ratio problem that he seemingly does not see.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 am 

cleon wrote:
Seems there will always be some Asshole who cling on like shit too a arse.
But the handful that say vinyl this and that,are thin on the ground :smoke:

This is what old FZ had too say.

I like a CD because it's convenient, and to my ear it sounds better than vinyl, because I always hated the squashed dynamic range and the intrusion of all those little crackles. FZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:33 am 

Anyone happy CDs are a thing of the past?

MUSIC INDUSTRY ABANDONING CDS IN 2012?

By Jarett Wieselman
@JarettSays

October 31, 2011

Considering stores that sell physical CDs are becoming rarer than an Adele concert which goes on as scheduled, it should come as no surprise that music labels are thinking about ditching the format entirely and relying solely on digital outlets, like iTunes and Amazon.com, to sell music.

According to Side-line.com, 2012 will mark the end of mass market CD manufacturing, with only limited edition releases getting physical copies and everything else getting relegated to MP3's.
No label would confirm or deny this seismic shift, but you can't argue with the logic: physical CDs are expensive to make, and even more expensive when they don't sell because the companies are then forced to pay to store excess stock.
The death of CDs would be a sad day for every child of the 90s who still remembers their first (Janet Jackson's If), but my older sister got over losing cassette tapes and my parents finally stopped dropping flowers off at the 8-track graveyard because formats will die, but the music lives on.

"Ya like horses?"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:47 am 

Yeah like CD players don't sell much now :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:04 am 

Then there are people who seem to knock anybody else for liking something that they don't. That is a major problem in this world. Like CD's, fine, Like vinyl, great! You could debate this, or other subjects like how you tie your shoes, but ultimatly, what the fuck difference does it make? I love vinyl. I like Cd's. For me, on my system, vinyl sounds better. When I purchase new, or old vinyl, I burn it to a CD, just like I used to do with cassettes. It is for listening in your car, or portable player, but for deep listening ear candy, it is in my opinion, and my opinion only that vinyl rules! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:18 am 

Byron wrote:
Then there are people who seem to knock anybody else for liking something that they don't. That is a major problem in this world. Like CD's, fine, Like vinyl, great! You could debate this, or other subjects like how you tie your shoes, but ultimatly, what the fuck difference does it make? I love vinyl. I like Cd's. For me, on my system, vinyl sounds better. When I purchase new, or old vinyl, I burn it to a CD, just like I used to do with cassettes. It is for listening in your car, or portable player, but for deep listening ear candy, it is in my opinion, and my opinion only that vinyl rules! :mrgreen:

Hahaha... reminds me of an episode of All in the Family where Archie tells Meathead that he's putting his shoes and socks on wrong, should be 1 foot sock, other foot sock, 1st foot shoe, other foot shoe. Meathead responds that putting on 1 sock and 1 shoe on the same foot would be better if there was a fire half-way through because then at least he'd have 1 foot safe! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:50 pm 

Seems there will always be some Douche Bag who can't accept an opinion that differs from his.

I express a personal preference for vinyl and get crapped on for it.

Look....there doesn't have to be a Winner and a Loser on this topic. I prefer what I hear on vinyl. Maybe I have a cruddy CD player and that explains it.

Others clearly prefer the sound on CD. Including the late great Frank Zappa I'm told. To each his own.

Maybe Frank had a shitty 3rd world turntable that constantly ran out of kerosene for all I know.
(I suspect I got something wrong in that reference but I'm sure someone will correct my error!)

Best of the Season to Everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:52 am 

vinylfan wrote:
Look....there doesn't have to be a Winner and a Loser on this topic. I prefer what I hear on vinyl. Maybe I have a cruddy CD player and that explains it.

Others clearly prefer the sound on CD.

Agreed, the most important is to have nice music to play.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:25 pm 

vinylfan wrote:
Seems there will always be some Douche Bag who can't accept an opinion that differs from his.

I express a personal preference for vinyl and get crapped on for it...

vinylfan, don't sweat cleon the clown, it's unintelligble babble isn't worth a 2nd thought, legitimate discussion is beyond it's miniscule brain, so take anything the chump spews with a gram of salt ... this thread [and the op] has an iq of approx. 12

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:26 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Byron wrote:

Hahaha... reminds me of an episode of All in the Family where Archie tells Meathead that he's putting his shoes and socks on wrong, should be 1 foot sock, other foot sock, 1st foot shoe, other foot shoe. Meathead responds that putting on 1 sock and 1 shoe on the same foot would be better if there was a fire half-way through because then at least he'd have 1 foot safe! :)

Funny you should mention it,Archie & Meatheads routine was just on in repeats along with the,"how to get in bed right" shtick, episode.Hilarous stuff! Holds up today. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:00 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
vinylfan wrote:

I express a personal preference for vinyl and get crapped on for it...

vinylfan, don't sweat cleon the clown, it's unintelligble babble isn't worth a 2nd thought, legitimate discussion is beyond it's miniscule brain, so take anything the chump spews with a gram of salt ... this thread [and the op] has an iq of approx. 12

What the fuck are you on about your making no sense at all,been hitting the bottle just stick too posting photos because your not the brightest :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:52 am 

If the music sounds good I'll take it in any format. Possible exception of cassettes as I haven't had a tape deck in years.

LPs and CDs are nice to have, but I think MP3/FLAC/Vorbis/whatever is the most convenient format we have, at least until the disproportionate new DRM regulations that will inevitably follow in SOPA's wake are put in place.

Stream my music here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:18 pm 

Crudblud wrote:
If the music sounds good I'll take it in any format. Possible exception of cassettes as I haven't had a tape deck in years. LPs and CDs are nice to have, but I think MP3/FLAC/Vorbis/whatever is the most convenient format we have, at least until the disproportionate new DRM regulations that will inevitably follow in SOPA's wake are put in place.

The voice of wisdom.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:22 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16330702

Vinyl set to make radio comeback for one day only

Vinyl is to make a comeback on the radio, but for only one day.

BBC Radio 6 Music has announced it will be playing only vinyl on New Year's Day.

Most BBC stations phased out vinyl in favour of CDs in the 1990s and the majority now use digital versions of songs.

Presenters Jarvis Cocker and Guy Garvey will be among those dusting off their turntables and Don Letts will be bringing his own seven-inch singles.

But 6 Music bosses have turned the clock back with an "All Vinyl" day to round off a month-long celebration of vinyl.

Station editor Paul Rodgers said: "In a world dominated by digital music, vinyl is a format still close to the hearts of many music lovers and increased sales demonstrate its enduring appeal."

A spokeswoman for the station said: "Listeners can expect rare gems, insights and a few crackles and pops when digital goes analogue for one day only."

Singer-songwriter Richard Hawley will host a show talking to prominent acts such as Arctic Monkeys and Radiohead about the joys and the pitfalls of vinyl.

Dance DJ and producer Andrew Weatherall and singer Cerys Matthews will be joining the vinylfest in their shows.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:41 am 

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hope Cleon will be tuning in for this.

"Ya like horses?"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:59 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:

Presenters Jarvis Cocker and Guy Garvey will be among those dusting off their turntables...

Waiting for Jarvis to come to the Midwest, which he would probably look forward to like dental surgery. He was here a couple years ago on a solo tour and its been much more than that for Pulp. Someday though...
On the vinyl topic, I'll have to post a list of stuff I've converted to mp3 lately. A buddy of mine dropped off a hundred or so hard-to-find albums that I've just finished converting. Stuff like Kevin Ayers, Hard Meat, Roadmaster, Starcastle, San Francisco Mime Troupe, weird shit.
Another friend had leant me a bunch of proto-metal like Nazareth, Iron Maiden EPs, Elf and many others which I've also finished. So, plenty of new listening for the next few months!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:10 am 

Yeah i heard it today on the end of Brian may Roger Taylor interview on radio 2,good job they advertise on there also as nobody ever listens too radio 6 :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:01 am 

polydigm wrote:
I don't know why you have to go out of your way to declare vinyl a thing of the past. If certain people are actually pursuing it, no matter how small a number, and they enjoy it, then it's not a thing of the past. What percentage of the human race listens to Zappa? It's not about numbers.

Yes it is :|

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:14 am 

Dirtsail0r wrote:
I read somewhere that vinyls are outperforming compact discs in gross sales amounts. Personally, I love vinyl records, I don't buy CDs anymore thanks to the conveniences of BitTorrent, but I'm still an avid crate digger and love pa rousing hock shops and garage sales for some good vinyl pressings. I just wish there was more FZ to be found

Vinyl out selling CD that must be confusing if you belive that.You don't buy CD not much point in being on this site then by the sounds of it you been download MP3.There is more FZ about on CD.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:55 pm 

cleon wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I don't know why you have to go out of your way to declare vinyl a thing of the past. If certain people are actually pursuing it, no matter how small a number, and they enjoy it, then it's not a thing of the past. What percentage of the human race listens to Zappa? It's not about numbers.

Yes it is :|

Unless it's these numbers:

via blog.nielsen.com
vinyl albums are seeing a big comeback and CDs fall out of favor, and digital sales continue to dominate. The nostalgic and tactile benefit of vinyl seems to be winning over national acts, local bands, and fans alike.

"Ya like horses?"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:03 pm 

Theres nothing wrong with vinyl, admitidly some stuff sounds better on vinyl, while some stuff sound better on CD. I think both analogue and digital sound fine to me, the only different is that one is cheaper than the other.

Modern CD sound shite but in fairness some record companies are starting to realise that people wont stand for a sub standard product. The recent Phil Spector CD reissues give me hope as they sound wonderful, proof that some labels listen to what the record buyers want.

In the case of FZ the vast majority of it is worth owning on vinyl, but then again on my hard drive i have three different versions of Shiek Yerbouti, i'm that much of a crazy completest.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:59 pm 

The above doesn't tell the whole story. But the following does...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... NY20120105

U.S. 2011 album sales up for first time since 2004

U.S. album sales rose in 2011 for the first time since 2004, partly reflecting cheaper album prices and special offers as well as a booming vinyl market, music industry analysts said on Wednesday.

Album sales grew by 1.4 percent to 330.6 million units in 2011 according to figures published in Billboard magazine, up from 326.2 million in 2010.

The small increase in the world's biggest music market will be welcome news to the industry after years of declining revenues.

"This can partially be due to aggressive pricing of albums in the marketplace, which are being priced a lot more economical for consumers, addressing their concerns that $10 for an album may be too expensive," Keith Caulfield, associate director of charts at Billboard.com told Reuters.

U.S. physical CD sales fell six percent last year, but the 20 percent increase in digital album downloads to a record 103.1 million more than made up for the losses, according to figures from Nielsen SoundScan.

Digital song sales grew 8.5 percent in 2011 to a record 1.27 billion downloads, compared with 1.17 billion in 2010.

Vinyl album sales soared to 3.9 million copies, versus 2.8 million in 2010. Caulfield called the growth in vinyl albums "crazy," attributing it to an "untapped market."

"It's reaching two kinds of consumers -- the older consumers who remember vinyls fondly and may even have turntables, and the younger consumers who can have a physical copy in hand and have that artwork to look at," he said.

ADELE TOPS ALBUM, SINGLES SALES

As expected, British singer Adele's "21" was the top-selling album in the United States last year at 5.82 million copies, the highest annual tally since Usher's "Confessions" sold 7.98 million copies in 2004.

"21" outsold the second-best selling album, Michael Buble's "Christmas" ($2.45 million), by more than two to one. Lady Gaga's "Born This Way," rapper Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter IV" and country singer Jason Aldean's "My Kinda Party" rounded out the five top-selling albums.

Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" was also the best-selling U.S. single of 2011 at 5.81 million downloads, followed by LMFAO's dance track "Party Rock Anthem," which clocked in at 5.47 million. They were the only two digital tracks to cross the 5 million milestone in any calendar year.

Katy Perry's "E.T.," Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger" and Pitbull's "Give Me Everything" rounded out the top five digital songs of the year.

Jim Donio, president of the U.S. National Association of Recording Merchandisers, said the increase in album sales was due to a variety of reasons "including more aggressive marketing efforts and offers, availability and consumer adoption of legitimate digital commerce models (and) the power of social media."

In Britain by contrast, album sales fell 5.6 percent to 113.2 million in 2011, according to figures from industry body BPI. Digital album sales rose 26.6 percent while CD sales slumped 12.6 percent to 86.2 million.

Geoff Taylor, BPI chief executive, called on the British government to take tougher action against online piracy, the music industry's single biggest challenge.

"Unless decisive action is taken in 2012, investment in music could fall again -- a creative crunch that will destroy jobs and mean the next Adele may not get her chance to shine on the world stage," Taylor said.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:45 am 

What the fuck is all this copy and paste shit can't do no thinking for yourselves What was album sales before 1993 assholes :smoke:
Just a pair of tools :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:43 am 

cleon wrote:
What the fuck is all this copy and paste shit can't do no thinking for yourselves

It's called citing facts to bolster an argument.

cleon wrote:
What was album sales before 1993 assholes :smoke:

Not sure how that's relevant to a discussion of the current popularity of vinyl. No one's trying to say vinyl is selling more than it did before CDs and digital music downloads, just that it's more popular now than it's been in 20 years and hardly "a thing of the past" which was the claim I am debating.

But I expect this cogent argument to be lost on an imbecile like yourself.

"Ya like horses?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next