Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:38 pm 

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/19/cd.digital.sales/index.html?hpt=C2 :roll: :idea: :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:13 am 

HJ wrote:
I love the absence of cracking noises. I love the absence of cracking noises. (Yes, twice.)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:50 am 

zomby truth wrote:

Cant make out what you saying
I take a guess tho broadband.it been around for 10 years

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:36 pm 

HJ wrote:
I love not having to flip sides. I love not having to worry about scratches when buying music (it freaked me out when buying a new vinyl and I heard the first "pop"). I love not worrying about wear and tear. I love the absence of cracking noises.
I hate that I cannot read everything on the CDs anymore. I could understood this issue when LP album art was just scaled down, but new CDs have font sizes that are intelligible to me.

agreed.
only thing I miss about vinyl is the bigger (and better) artwork.
(too many unimaginative designers around these days...)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:01 pm 

Have you heard ? Vinyl is back from the dead!!! It's the Return of The Son of LP Mania!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:06 am 

I'm 16 and FINALLY set up my turntable I've had for over a year..so from the opinion of someone who didn't grow up with vinyl, it's the best sound quality I've ever heard (aside from live)...it's honestly like hearing the music for the first time, and I've been geeking over it all month. "oh my did you hear that the singer just coughed right there, go back you gotta hear it" >_<
but yeah, like I said, I didn't grow up with it so maybe I don't appreciate cd's as much or whatever but from a QUALITY point of view, if you have a nice set up...its 30492934824280942 times better than how a cd or mp3 sounds just because you can hear EVERYTHING. you can hear THE ROOM....and it's pretty nice to just plop down on the floor, put on a record, and spend 40 minutes just listening and examining the record sleeve :D
"oh look an ignorant kid, poser with her vinyl. its a fad. it'll die down once all these hipsters run out of money"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:46 am 

i_live_inside_a_drum wrote:
I'm 16 and FINALLY set up my turntable I've had for over a year..so from the opinion of someone who didn't grow up with vinyl, it's the best sound quality I've ever heard (aside from live)...it's honestly like hearing the music for the first time, and I've been geeking over it all month. "oh my did you hear that the singer just coughed right there, go back you gotta hear it" >_<
but yeah, like I said, I didn't grow up with it so maybe I don't appreciate cd's as much or whatever but from a QUALITY point of view, if you have a nice set up...its 30492934824280942 times better than how a cd or mp3 sounds just because you can hear EVERYTHING. you can hear THE ROOM....and it's pretty nice to just plop down on the floor, put on a record, and spend 40 minutes just listening and examining the record sleeve :D
"oh look an ignorant kid, poser with her vinyl. its a fad. it'll die down once all these hipsters run out of money"

You sound alright to me! Vinyl never died around my house....I've got tons of it. It's very hard to store and move though...ahh well,I'll have to suffer. Ha! I do like CDs for different reasons too,...it's just nice to see the big covers on Lps,and they do sound nice and warm too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:41 am 

i_live_inside_a_drum wrote:

I'm only 27, and I'm a huge vinyl geek. I did plenty of vinyl and CD listening growing up, and vinyl was never a passing fad for me. Vinyl just slowly won the format battle in my music collecting, probably due in large part to my interest in hunting down FZ records for the original mixes.

The only problem with vinyl is that it definitely is a higher maintenance listening experience compared to CDs. You can plug a $25 DVD player into a decent pair of speakers, and your CD will sound okay. Vinyl, however, has tons of variables that affect sound quality: stylus quality, stylus alignment, stylus tracking force, quality of the record, amp/preamp, etc. I can understand how a lot of people were more than happy to not deal with all of that and just slide a CD in. I, on the other hand, am a nerd who likes hobbies. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:00 pm 

Vinyl, the documentary (intro):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW9NWHvv8fc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:41 pm 

vinyl SLEEP DIRT and vinyl CRUISIN' are absolutely important to a zappa fan's collection.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:02 am 

Not to long ago I bought a new turntable and whipped out the vinly. I was really struck by (a) how good it sounded, and (b) how short an album side is!. Also, my kids were mesmerized, like they were seeing a steam engine or something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:05 pm 

If you like vinyl then good. I kinda miss the aesthetics of the whole thing, but really like being able to put a bunch of albums on one mp3 disc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:39 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Vinyl, the documentary (intro):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW9NWHvv8fc

That got too be the most pathetic Video on Youtube along with your fascination For LP on this Fourm since I started this thread 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:28 am 

I can think of some slightly more pathetic things, but I will keep 'em for myself... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:23 am 

Cds for convenience, but vinyl to rumple and fetish...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:26 pm 

With all the draw backs with vinyl brought up in this thread, it does seem non functional, but there was nothing like going to the import record store and finding a unique album buying it taking it home with anticipation unwrapping it (and it didn't require an engineering degree to open the plastic...lol) smelling that fresh licorice and seeing the awesome artwork front, back, inside, and the dust sleeve...what a thrill...then crank up the player skillfully place the needle and hope it don't suck...
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:54 pm 

Plook wrote:
With all the draw backs with vinyl brought up in this thread, it does seem non functional, but there was nothing like going to the import record store and finding a unique album buying it taking it home with anticipation unwrapping it (and it didn't require an engineering degree to open the plastic...lol) smelling that fresh licorice and seeing the awesome artwork front, back, inside, and the dust sleeve...what a thrill...then crank up the player skillfully place the needle and hope it don't suck...
:mrgreen:

I completely agree with you. I loved buying vinyl, much more than cd's for some reason.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:55 am 

vinyls are cool, my father has around 500 of them even now, but the second CD became commercial, he started selling his LPs and buying the same stuff on CD (yeah... :roll: ) so now he has around 1200 CDs 200,300 LPs, and these days he started downloading music (not selling anything, thank god)... now he has around terabite of mp3s... he says he doesnt miss LPs a minute, and dont get me wrong, he has some nasty audio equipment in his living room...
what i'm tryin to say is, modern tehnology has more pluses then LPs have. on the other hand LP has more soul, but who has the soul these days anyways :mrgreen:

i know people my age, around 20-30 how still buy new LPs, from new artists who release them, and that's cool... it's becoming a style or sub culture, i mean, if you're listening to vinlys you MUST be audio freak of really INTO music, you know... :roll:

me on the other hand, dont like vinyls cause i dont have time and room for them... I buy CDs from the artists I really respect, and i want to have that on my shell, but other stuff is in PC you know... I doubt CDs will ever vanish like MCs did :|

PS selling mp3s and digital albums is the stupidest thing ever :facepalm:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:46 pm 

I HATE vinyl! The crap you had to go through to play an album so you didn't fuck it up was just CRAZY! Wipe it down, clean the needle, anti-stat, hold it by the edges...be careful you didn't kick the sofa or it would SKIP! OY that a pain in the asss!!!!!!!

I took a recording course several years back, and the prof invited some of the students he liked over to his house for a demo (and beers and pizza) His demo consisted of playing the same song from the same "album" in different formats, and we had to note which ones we liked better....standard Vinyl was second to last...(8-track was last) and Audiophile vinyl was 3rd!! I think the way it went down was something like this:

DAT/CD tied for first
Reel to Reel (15ips audiophile 1/4")
Audiophile vinyl
Cassette
standard vinyl
8-track

Now this was in the days prior to Mp3's or any type of computer type format, and out of the current available formats. (oh, the recording in question was Steely Dan's Aja album) Needless to say it was an interesting evening, and totally stunned one of the guys who was a vinyl freak who thought digital was horrible and his vinyl collection was just to DIE for!

The prof told us that basically most people like RICH BASS...with a turntable/receiver set up, you have what's known as an RIAA amplifier which decodes and encodes the bass on a vinyl album so the vinyl album doesn't have grooves you can drive a bus through (which is also why you don't plug your CD deck into the "phono" jack so you don't have bass OVERKILL!") So 99% of the people that like vinyl are all creaming over an amp that resides in your receiver that decodes the bass!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:50 pm 

Jaminbenb wrote:
I HATE vinyl! The crap you had to go through to play an album so you didn't fuck it up was just CRAZY! Wipe it down, clean the needle, anti-stat, hold it by the edges...be careful you didn't kick the sofa or it would SKIP! OY that a pain in the asss!!!!!!!

I took a recording course several years back, and the prof invited some of the students he liked over to his house for a demo (and beers and pizza) His demo consisted of playing the same song from the same "album" in different formats, and we had to note which ones we liked better....standard Vinyl was second to last...(8-track was last) and Audiophile vinyl was 3rd!! I think the way it went down was something like this:

DAT/CD tied for first
Audiophile vinyl
Cassette
standard vinyl
8-track

Now this was in the days prior to Mp3's or any type of computer type format, and out of the current available formats. (oh, the recording in question was Steely Dan's Aja album) Needless to say it was an interesting evening, and totally stunned one of the guys who was a vinyl freak who thought digital was horrible and his vinyl collection was just to DIE for!

The prof told us that basically most people like RICH BASS...with a turntable/receiver set up, you have what's known as an RIAA amplifier which decodes and encodes the bass on a vinyl album so the vinyl album doesn't have grooves you can drive a bus through (which is also why you don't plug your CD deck into the "phono" jack so you don't have bass OVERKILL!") So 99% of the people that like vinyl are all creaming over an amp that resides in your receiver that decodes the bass!

I think everyone concedes that musically the format is inferior, but it was way more fun, that is the stuff you just can't explain to people these days, many things were far more enjoyable when it wasn't convenient and took a long time.

That may be what’s wrong with so many people today, they don't know how to enjoy an experience, they just record it and watch it later or watch it on line and never even have to be there. Some of my greatest adventures were in the effort to get where we were going and not necessarily what happened when we got there.

When 1 hour photo first came out George Carlin asked “what the fuck is wrong with you people you were just there…don’t any of you mother fuckers have a memory anymore?” I am certain he is having the last laugh in the great beyond with were things have gone with You Tube, twitter, and Face book…we need a guy like that around just to keep us honest.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:57 am 

Jaminbenb wrote:

DAT/CD tied for first
Audiophile vinyl
Cassette
standard vinyl
8-track

Nice post Makes sence.

I was around when Vinyl was it just stank.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:43 am 

Plook wrote:
Jaminbenb wrote:

DAT/CD tied for first
Audiophile vinyl
Cassette
standard vinyl
8-track

I think everyone concedes that musically the format is inferior, but it was way more fun, that is the stuff you just can't explain to people these days, many things were far more enjoyable when it wasn't convenient and took a long time.

That may be what’s wrong with so many people today, they don't know how to enjoy an experience, they just record it and watch it later or watch it on line and never even have to be there. Some of my greatest adventures were in the effort to get where we were going and not necessarily what happened when we got there.

When 1 hour photo first came out George Carlin asked “what the fuck is wrong with you people you were just there…don’t any of you mother fuckers have a memory anymore?” I am certain he is having the last laugh in the great beyond with were things have gone with You Tube, twitter, and Face book…we need a guy like that around just to keep us honest.

You've got a good point there, Plook.
I used to dig around record fairs and suchlike when I collected records(vinyl) and there was a kick in finding something that I couldn't get anywhere else.
Now I get kicks from monitoring my Amazon 'basket' waiting to pull the trigger on a new cd at a 'good price'. Somehow it isn't the same-but it is more convenient, and I have filled my time with other stuff....like coming on here etc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:24 am 

Quilt wrote:
If my music collection was on vinyl I would need a house twice the size of the one I live in.

I am happy to trade an almost imperceptibly small sound quality difference for the convenience of digital.

While I can imagine wanking myself into a frenzy over 12 inch square of cardboard, I prefer internet porn.

Nevermind about having to care about whether my stylus was up to scratch :wink:

Now you say they where better because they where hard too find 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:54 pm 

cleon wrote:
Quilt wrote:
If my music collection was on vinyl I would need a house twice the size of the one I live in.

I am happy to trade an almost imperceptibly small sound quality difference for the convenience of digital.

While I can imagine wanking myself into a frenzy over 12 inch square of cardboard, I prefer internet porn.

The point was, that there was a level of anticipation, and even conquest, when one found something novel or unusual or rare or even a bargain, when hunting around for records. Now, Amazon, is relatively easy-I don't even have to leave my f ing computer to buy stuff. Convenient, but slightly less enchanting.
I still prefer cds for overall ease of use. My ears are fucked so the sound quality is of secondary importance. Even when my ears worked I couldn't tell the difference, apart from all the scratches, hiss, and fucking pops and shit. Nevermind not having to change a side every 15 minutes.
The only good thing about vinyl was the big sleeves, which you could take a dump on.
Is this a good answer, Cleon?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:52 pm 

Quilt wrote:
cleon wrote:
Quilt wrote:

The point was, that there was a level of anticipation, and even conquest, when one found something novel or unusual or rare or even a bargain, when hunting around for records. Now, Amazon, is relatively easy-I don't even have to leave my f ing computer to buy stuff. Convenient, but slightly less enchanting.
I still prefer cds for overall ease of use. My ears are fucked so the sound quality is of secondary importance. Even when my ears worked I couldn't tell the difference, apart from all the scratches, hiss, and fucking pops and shit. Nevermind not having to change a side every 15 minutes.
The only good thing about vinyl was the big sleeves, which you could take a dump on.
Is this a good answer, Cleon?

At some point the defects in the record could be as anticipated as a certian lyric or instrumental, they actual became part of the song experiance for you...now that is good shit and you get none of it with high quality recordings...we are becomeing the people in that Lucas film THX something or other, I think Frank predicted this somewhere in JG... :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next