Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
Plook wrote:
At some point the defects in the record could be as anticipated as a certian lyric or instrumental, they actual became part of the song experiance for you...now that is good shit and you get none of it with high quality recordings...we are becomeing the people in that Lucas film THX something or other, I think Frank predicted this somewhere in JG... :wink:


I can't ever remember being thrilled about a defect in a record.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3207
Location: Between the Badges
calvin2hikers wrote:
Plook wrote:
At some point the defects in the record could be as anticipated as a certian lyric or instrumental, they actual became part of the song experiance for you...now that is good shit and you get none of it with high quality recordings...we are becomeing the people in that Lucas film THX something or other, I think Frank predicted this somewhere in JG... :wink:


I can't ever remember being thrilled about a defect in a record.

I have a friend who was lending me some vinyl to put on the ipod and I told him that an occasional pop is ok, but I didn't want anything too scratchy. He replied that he enjoyed scritchity records the same way that he enjoyed a crackling fire.
As for myself, I recently have been enjoying a Talking Heads on Vinyl spree. I have the brick cd set, but those mixes are so... crisp. So, its nice to hear them in their original format via ipod. Vinyl sounds great in the car!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
Do you put the record player on the dash?

I guess I would say that I do enjoy some really really old blues artists records to be a bit scratchy - sounds more authentic to me that way.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6936
Location: South wales
Quilt wrote:
cleon wrote:
Quilt wrote:
If my music collection was on vinyl I would need a house twice the size of the one I live in.

I am happy to trade an almost imperceptibly small sound quality difference for the convenience of digital.

While I can imagine wanking myself into a frenzy over 12 inch square of cardboard, I prefer internet porn.

Nevermind about having to care about whether my stylus was up to scratch :wink:

Now you say they where better because they where hard too find 8)


The point was, that there was a level of anticipation, and even conquest, when one found something novel or unusual or rare or even a bargain, when hunting around for records. Now, Amazon, is relatively easy-I don't even have to leave my f ing computer to buy stuff. Convenient, but slightly less enchanting.
I still prefer cds for overall ease of use. My ears are fucked so the sound quality is of secondary importance. Even when my ears worked I couldn't tell the difference, apart from all the scratches, hiss, and fucking pops and shit. Nevermind not having to change a side every 15 minutes.
The only good thing about vinyl was the big sleeves, which you could take a dump on.
Is this a good answer, Cleon?
Just stick too a point and leaf it at that be a Good Answer.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20645
Location: Somewhere in time
calvin2hikers wrote:
Plook wrote:
At some point the defects in the record could be as anticipated as a certian lyric or instrumental, they actual became part of the song experiance for you...now that is good shit and you get none of it with high quality recordings...we are becomeing the people in that Lucas film THX something or other, I think Frank predicted this somewhere in JG... :wink:


I can't ever remember being thrilled about a defect in a record.



I did not mean you would be thrilled, it was just there and you new it was comming like an old friend or a bad piece of highway on a familiar road...lol... :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:12 am
Posts: 952
Location: Norway
I love vinyl :D

I got this one in the mail today. Time to give the dirty ones a little bath

Image

_________________
Image
http://www.zappafrenzy.com

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6936
Location: South wales
knepo wrote:
I love vinyl :D

I got this one in the mail today. Time to give the dirty ones a little bath

Image

That dont make them more existing :mrgreen:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13740
Location: Billy, the mountain...
knepo wrote:
I love vinyl :D

I got this one in the mail today. Time to give the dirty ones a little bath

Image

How do you clean them, knepo?

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6936
Location: South wales
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
knepo wrote:
I love vinyl :D

I got this one in the mail today. Time to give the dirty ones a little bath

Image

How do you clean them, knepo?

With a sewer pipe Plook Got ONE on Handy Here Sniff :mrgreen:

Your a asshole so no wonder crap,your like a sewer pipe.
Plook :mrgreen:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm
Posts: 976
Location: Austin
I have my small collection of vinyl but have no platter playing device anymore. I wouldnt mind ploppin' on my vinyl copy of Egg - The Polite Force or Magma - MDK for a nice grotty change of pace. I dont have a problem with it at all... it's a cool change when I want to hear a slightly different sound. They definately have that... and no I dont mean pops and clicks.

_________________
Take a penny... give a shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6936
Location: South wales
Phlakaton wrote:
I have my small collection of vinyl but have no platter playing device anymore. I wouldnt mind ploppin' on my vinyl copy of Egg - The Polite Force or Magma - MDK for a nice grotty change of pace. I dont have a problem with it at all... it's a cool change when I want to hear a slightly different sound. They definately have that... and no I dont mean pops and clicks.

Buy one from the catalog :?

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20645
Location: Somewhere in time
cleon wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
knepo wrote:
I love vinyl :D

I got this one in the mail today. Time to give the dirty ones a little bath

Image

How do you clean them, knepo?

With a sewer pipe Plook Got ONE on Handy Here Sniff :mrgreen:

Your a asshole so no wonder crap,your like a sewer pipe.
Plook :mrgreen:



Like that Cleon?...on my birthday no less...sweet Jesus!...and what I have is a Crapdetector, yes it is calibrated and is 99% accurate, no sewer pipe or smelly asshole issues. :!:
8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm
Posts: 976
Location: Austin
cleon wrote:
Phlakaton wrote:
I have my small collection of vinyl but have no platter playing device anymore. I wouldnt mind ploppin' on my vinyl copy of Egg - The Polite Force or Magma - MDK for a nice grotty change of pace. I dont have a problem with it at all... it's a cool change when I want to hear a slightly different sound. They definately have that... and no I dont mean pops and clicks.

Buy one from the catalog :?


Buy what? A record player? From the catalog? Cryptic.

_________________
Take a penny... give a shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6936
Location: South wales
Phlakaton wrote:
cleon wrote:
Phlakaton wrote:
I have my small collection of vinyl but have no platter playing device anymore. I wouldnt mind ploppin' on my vinyl copy of Egg - The Polite Force or Magma - MDK for a nice grotty change of pace. I dont have a problem with it at all... it's a cool change when I want to hear a slightly different sound. They definately have that... and no I dont mean pops and clicks.

Buy one from the catalog :?


Buy what? A record player? From the catalog? Cryptic.

Yes buy a Record Player from the Catalog then Send it Back Say the needle broke Or something. :)

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm
Posts: 976
Location: Austin
Buy what? A record player? From the catalog? Cryptic.[/quote]
Yes buy a Record Player from the Catalog then Send it Back Say the needle broke Or something. :)[/quote]

that's money.

_________________
Take a penny... give a shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6936
Location: South wales
What Catalog charge for a item sent back,it be against the law in the UK anyways.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:06 pm
Posts: 1992
Location: Canada
cleon wrote:
Yes buy a Record Player from the Catalog then Send it Back Say the needle broke Or something. :)


I did that twice in the 80s with a whole sound system, only to record my vinyls on cassettes my aunt bought the second time because my name was registered for a return i gave her $10 for the service :mrgreen:

_________________
'N then I might just Jump back on An' ride Like a cowboy Into the dawn to Montana


Last edited by Zut_boF on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:12 am
Posts: 952
Location: Norway
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
How do you clean them, knepo?


The box has two brushes inside. Fill the box with water and cleaning fluid. and then spin the record around.

I was quite skeptical to this yellow ugly thing when i first saw it. But all the good reviews convinced me.

_________________
Image
http://www.zappafrenzy.com

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:41 am
Posts: 1180
Zut_boF wrote:
cleon wrote:
Yes buy a Record Player from the Catalog then Send it Back Say the needle broke Or something. :)


I did that twice in the 80s with a whole sound system, only to record my vinyls on K7 my aunt bought the second time because my name was registered for a return i gave her $10 for the service :mrgreen:


I went into a branch of Dixons in Clapham with a box of vinyl and a box of blank tapes. Spent nearly a weekend taping the stuff on their best system. Got some funny looks, and I think I damaged a tone arm, but I didn't care. I even got an assistant to change sides when I went out for lunch. Probably thought he'd get commission on a sale...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:58 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Birmingham, AL
knepo wrote:
The box has two brushes inside. Fill the box with water and cleaning fluid. and then spin the record around.

I was quite skeptical to this yellow ugly thing when i first saw it. But all the good reviews convinced me.

I actually rigged up a record cleaning system a few years ago with a broken thrift store turntable and a Dirt Devil. It's not pretty, but it does a great job cleaning my records. I clean everything that touches my stylus. I can't imagine those insane $500+ VPI machines doing a much better job than what I slapped together for about $20.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6936
Location: South wales
Try doing a FZ mix of beat the boots tracks jumping from album too album on too tape It,s A fucking Nigthmare.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20645
Location: Somewhere in time
cleon wrote:
Try doing a FZ mix of beat the boots tracks jumping from album too album on too tape It,s A fucking Nigthmare.



I still make tapes I love it, you have way more control of the editing and by actually listening to the music as you do them you can make the mix more transitionally agreeable, versus the laziness of just throwing songs on wily nily....does that make any sense to anyone?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3207
Location: Between the Badges
Went out to some record shops I've never been to before today. Gots me a bunch of used vinyl, and every last one was cheaper than either a cd or d/l.
Among the FZ finds...

BWS and JABFLA, Original Bizarre-Reprise - previously only had Old Masters and cd versions of each
Grand Wazoo, German Pressing - already had vinyl, but there was a skip, plus this is a different pressing
200 Motels, Bizarre Productions / United Artists, previously only cd version
Apostrophe', German Pressing - Check out the label... I'll have to look at my other vinyl copy at home and see if its written like this:

Image

Yeah, blurry pic, but it says: A'POS! TRO'PHE(!)

And, just for fun...
Image

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:42 am
Posts: 494
Location: columbus, indiana
zomby truth wrote:



It seems the author of this piece doesn't understand the definition of digital. I guess he's talking about mp3 downloads when he talks of digital and CDs are just CDs. Here's a quote illustrating what I mean: "According to data from Nielsen SoundScan, in 2007 CDs accounted for 90 percent of album sales in the United States, with digital accounting for the other 10 percent. Just two years later, that number had shifted to 79 percent CDs and 20 percent digital, with the remaining percentage point being made up of vinyl and other media."

_________________
My new purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6936
Location: South wales
jimmyzen wrote:
zomby truth wrote:



It seems the author of this piece doesn't understand the definition of digital. I guess he's talking about mp3 downloads when he talks of digital and CDs are just CDs. Here's a quote illustrating what I mean: "According to data from Nielsen SoundScan, in 2007 CDs accounted for 90 percent of album sales in the United States, with digital accounting for the other 10 percent. Just two years later, that number had shifted to 79 percent CDs and 20 percent digital, with the remaining percentage point being made up of vinyl and other media."
I think what it says is vinyl is over :roll:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group