Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:19 am 

just wanna know :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:30 am 

Well, I think they didn't quite release anything that would qualify as 'Zappa Albums' -- :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:24 am 

and what about accelerated graphics port?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 am 

I like their early albums, especially Eskimo (which has a guest performance by Don Preston, if memory serves me well). I saw them live in London in the Eighties. Haven't really followed them that closely in the CD age and beyond.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:15 pm 

followed them closely up to (and including) 'the tunes of two cities' (1982).
after that I began to lose touch of them.
haven't really heard anything since 'the king and eye' (1989), which, in my opinion, is a great album.
of the early ones, I think my favorite is 'eskimo.'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:32 am 

I saw the Residents last night. Im not too familiar with the music but the show was one of the most unique experiences Ive been to. Very dark and creepy, which my girl and I both love. I went not quite knowing what to expect. Very dark and dreary overtones much like a David Lynch film. Stories told from the other side of the tracks. The performance was at Bimbos in SF and was filmed for DVD. Pretty unforgettable. Bob is a great atmospheric guitar player with a full pallet of strange dreary colors and the keyboard player (forget his name) was like 3 people in one, triggering sequences and samples and playing over them while creepy front guy told ghost stories dressed like a grey wrinkled old woman with a 4 foot polka dot tie. Video sequences projected on 3 large white orbs filled in the cracks between reality and confusion leading us all into a pit of uncertain yet clearly sick phantasies. It was beautiful. :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:36 am 

This decade of Rez-stuff had been quite depressing..... I hardly find anything of exciting greatness. Only the 'Ralph CD' release "Smell My Picture".
The saddest thing is... they're NEVER gonna re-format "Bad Day On The Midway" to a DVD release.
And, that's a shame!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:37 am 

For what it's worth, I think both Demons Dance Alone and Animal Lover are brilliant albums. Quite uncharacteristic sonically of past work (which is in itself keeping with the Residents aesthetic); but plumbing aspects of human experience in a very dark and Residential way; but a touch of sympathy in that exploration which gives them a different type of resonance.

Not to say they're going soft, though -- I saw Talking Light in LA a week ago, and it was profoundly odd, with no concessions that I could see being made to the audience.

the duke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:19 am 

I liked this show alot but the music was probably not something I would want to just listen to. If it weren't accompanied by the theatrics I would have been bored out of my skull. Are there any recordings you can recommend which may change my mind?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:30 am 

My faves of the past 10-15 years are the ones we they depart from all the maudlin crap, and get 'different'!

- Smell My Finger
- WB:RMX
- & the "Best Left Unspoken" series!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:52 pm 

I haven't followed much since around "God in Three Persons" (which is amazing), though I did get to review "Wormwood" and "Roadworms" for a music mag. Overall, my impression of the recent stuff is -- great concepts, impressive presentation (both on CD and in concert), but not the kind of music I really enjoy. Although I haven't heard a note of anything they've done since "Demons Dance Alone", so maybe they've done a real whopper since then, perhaps perhaps.

My favorite Residents album changes from time to time, but if I had to choose just one, it would be "Not Available". Absolutely nuts. And the "Meet the Residents" debut is not far behind. Coming in a close third would be "Fingerprince". After that it's a tossup between "Mark of the Mole", "God in Three Persons", or (when I'm feeling especially wicked) "The Big Bubble".

So that's what I think about the Residents.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:00 pm 

I just recently got into The Residents a few months ago, thanks to the threads created by you guys on this forum. Once I did, I listened to the near entire catalogue before I saw their Talking Light show here last month. And I have to say, I'm very impressed with their stunningly innovative music. The show was fantastic, especially the visual presentation...and I bought the $7.99 digital download of my show from their site immediately afterwards.

I read they just filmed the final two North American Talking Light shows in San Fran a few days ago, for a 3D DVD release, directly funded from fan donations. But since there's currently virtually no market for 3D DVD releases, it looks like it won't be released any time soon.

My favourite titles are:

Meet The Residents
Not Available
Duck Stab / Buster & Glen
Commercial Album
Whatever Happened To Vileness Fats?
The Census Taker
Stars & Hank Forever
Gingerbread Man
The Bunny Boy

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm 

If only they would 'bank-roll' a REAL "Bad Day On The Midway"!

It's a real treasure!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:00 am 

I've heard 'Third Reich Rock n' Roll', the 'Commercial Album' and 'Eskimo' and found most of it quite boring.. think I'll give them ONE more chance (God in Three Persons?)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 am 

"Bad Day" was an actual story, with a plot!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 am 

Fido wrote:
I've heard 'Third Reich Rock n' Roll', the 'Commercial Album' and 'Eskimo' and found most of it quite boring.. think I'll give them ONE more chance (God in Three Persons?)

God in Three Persons is mostly special for its lyrical content. It's all spoken story material, but it also rhymes and has a consistent rhythmic scheme. Very deep, somewhat disturbing, and often kinda funny. The music is there mostly for accompaniment but it manages to complement the stories well -- more than just dull background stuff. Mostly synth-based.

edit: funny you should mention "3rd Reich", "Commercial", and "Eskimo". All three are very highly regarded, but none of them are ones I count among my favorites. It's a case of great concept, but not as entertaining when actually listened to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:22 pm 

I hear the Residents are coming to Constantinople. Should be a good show.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:06 pm 

That's Istanbul, not Constantinople. It's nobody's business but the Turks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:13 pm 

Here I come, Constantinople:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcI5rNR5TGM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:25 pm 

The Residents were big fans of Zappa and the Mothers, btw. Legend has it that they sent a copy of their first single, Santa Dog, to Frank, but he never replied.

I've dug into Cabaret Voltaire lately, and was surprised to find much inspiration from The Residents in their early work, particularly the 1974-1976 CD. So there's a line of influence for you: The Mothers of Invention :arrow: The Residents :arrow: Cabaret Voltaire.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:44 am 

They sound just like every other crappy fake wannabee metal Hinder/Creed/Nickleback poser band. I think they suck. I call it chump rock. Let this genre die. It's the anti-Zappa. The Residents even make Def Leppard, Motley Crue and Poison sound good.....(insert puke smilie)

Support your local prog bands instead, and if you don't have local prog bands, move.

At first listen, me no likee...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:02 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
They sound just like every other crappy fake wannabee metal Hinder/Creed/Nickleback poser band. I think they suck. I call it chump rock. Let this genre die. It's the anti-Zappa. The Residents even make Def Leppard, Motley Crue and Poison sound good.....(insert puke smilie)

Support your local prog bands instead, and if you don't have local prog bands, move.

At first listen, me no likee...

Which one did you listen to? I have dozens of Residents albums and none of them sound anything like that! I haven't heard them all, nor their latest though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:01 am 

Try these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDDVXlEG-_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhNZ_MEqDyI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve0XrTiFiwo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:40 pm 

does anyone know if the residents still are made up of the original anonymous members?
they could be, for sure, but they've been around for forty years (or thereabout)...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:08 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
does anyone know if the residents still are made up of the original anonymous members?
they could be, for sure, but they've been around for forty years (or thereabout)...

I think the "band" essentially dissolved around the time of the Mole Tour (1981-82; it was a financial disaster) and since then there have been two left, augmented with extras. I'm 90% sure I know their names.