Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:15 pm 

feetlightup wrote:
I think the "band" essentially dissolved around the time of the Mole Tour (1981-82; it was a financial disaster) and since then there have been two left, augmented with extras. I'm 90% sure I know their names.
thanks, feet.
like I said earlier on this thread, I haven't really followed what the residents have been up to since the mid-90s, but every time I read about them or hear anything by them, I wonder if they're still the same band...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:56 pm 

Heres my take, and it gets weird, but here goes.... some people like ONLY the early stuff, up to the Mole Show and thats it. They might hem and haw about anything after that, some good, but never as good as the old stuff. I only started listening to em in the early 80s, so the first things I heard were the 80s/90s stuff. The first show I saw was The King and Eye from 2nd row at the same height as the stage. It blew me away. I later saw that same tour in a bigger theater sitting sideways at long tables and while it was still good, the whole of it suffered when I wasn't immersed in the visual. There is a very visual component to most things they do, and when your brain clicks with the whole concept of weirdness going on, they trap you in like no one else. You enter a sort of Residents Land, and no I'm not necessarily talking about psychedelics, I haven't found a precise descriptor and thats sort of the fun for me too. They take you to very specific perspectives, that afterward seem irrelevent and obtuse, but when you're in there its bizarre. Its like when you're at a party and see a friend that you know across the room and you'll point at something else and make a face and they'll totally know what you're talking about? Not cuz you're reading lips, but a subtle gesture eye glare that shares a perspective. Thats how watching a residents show is. They worm little perspectives and gestures into your brain while the stories evolve with the music.
Now, back to those people who ONLY like the early stuff... I think what actually happens in alot of cases is: The stuff that people like best is the first stuff that really takes them into that weird world of theirs. Not necessarily the first thing one hears of the residents. But, after a while you think you've figured out what the residents are trying to do, then a new residents product is seen/heard, except now the new concept is made using a different code language, so the residents fan hears it, but then hesitates to let themselves be immersed in this new weird thing the residents came up with. Or they'll see a huge day-glo penis swinging from some character on stage and start saying "I liked the residents when they did this or that, but now..." They will rationalize why this or that is wrong rather than just capitulating to what is going on, looking at it like theater and following the stories and letting yourself be entertained. If a play has bad costumes and still tells a good story, people will give it credit where due and leave it at that. With the residents, people end up hearing something that maybe feels too dark, like you've suddenly found yourself in a familiar nightmare, and then say "hey, lets go to the bar and get a drink". These same people wouldn't do the same thing at most horror movies. But, the residents can make people uncomfortable and moody, in a dark way, in a bad trip way, or even an I Don't Like This Play way. After a few of those, people shy away. It can take a while to give em another chance and many people have a hard time ever doing so again. Most people don't give them as much of a second chance as they would give any other band that they like. With many other bands, you have half an idea of what will come, and if the band stretches, they might surprise you and that will be even better, or they just won't be up to par, or suck but "hey it was close to what I thought it would be". With the residents it can be more like "Am I in the mood to jump off a cliff that might take me to uncomfortable places that might literally bother me, making my neck and temples hurt, ending up itchy, scratchy, and impatient to get out of my seat and hey now I've got gum on my shoe." I've always found that if I stick around til the end, nearly all of it is worthwhile. Just some more favorite than others.
I've found these great samplers:
Personal favs:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:20 am 

Believe it or not, they DID play Vegas, for the "Wormwood" show. I'll never forget seeing two old ladies taking a seat, most likely wives of 'whales' who got their seats 'comped'. I turned to my wife and said, "Oh, they won't be here for long". When Mr. Skull entered they stage and started screaming, they ran for their lives. We couldn't stop laughing!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:19 am 

Arkay -- interesting take on the Rezzies. It made me think back to the first thing that took me to that weird "Residents Land". I'd actually been listening to them for several years before it happened. I had a handful of albums (the "Hell" compilation was my first purchase), and liked them as a novelty mostly. But upon getting "Not Available", I remember taking an afternoon nap while it was on. In my half-asleep way, the nonsense "story" and characters made some sort of alternate-reality sense. I'm pretty sure I wasn't on any drugs at the time either. Anyway, it was a very cool experience.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:45 pm 

http://johanssonprojects.net/phpflickr/homer_show.php

Homer Flynn
Show Runs April 29 - June 17, 2011
Reception on May 6, 5-8pm

Johansson Projects presents an exhibition of LP cover production art, promotional photos, drawings, scratch-board illustrations, and digital imagery from the archives of Homer Flynn. As principal designer for the internationally acclaimed music, video and performance group, The Residents, Flynn will be exhibiting both professional and personal work. This is the artist's first solo exhibition at the gallery.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:14 am 

13th Anniversary was the peak for me although the more recent "Demons Dance Alone" was nice and melodic. I do think they've got a little too computerized recently and Homer Flynn's voice is going a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:13 pm 

The Residents present The Ughs! is a really good recent release, IMO. Mostly instrumental, very atmospheric, similar to Eskimo in that some of it sounds like music from a lost tribal culture. Listen to samples here:

http://www.amazon.com/Ughs-Residents/dp/B002M9FXDG

And I liked Demons Dance Alone too, especially the DVD of that tour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:46 pm 

I saw them on the "Demons Dance Alone" tour, but I've never heard the album! I thought the show was very incredible and moving... but I wasn't sure the music by itself would have much staying power in my collection. I liked Wormwood (the only "recent" one I have) at first, but I never put it on anymore, so I'm similarly skeptical about the recent stuff, despite some great stuff I've heard about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:55 am 

feetlightup wrote:
I liked Wormwood (the only "recent" one I have) at first, but I never put it on anymore, so I'm similarly skeptical about the recent stuff, despite some great stuff I've heard about it.

That's how I feel about Wormwood too, though I do like the live versions of those songs better than the original studio versions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
feetlightup wrote:
I liked Wormwood (the only "recent" one I have) at first, but I never put it on anymore, so I'm similarly skeptical about the recent stuff, despite some great stuff I've heard about it.

That's how I feel about Wormwood too, though I do like the live versions of those songs better than the original studio versions.

Ah yes, I forgot about the companion release "Roadworms", which I also have. I haven't listened to that one much, may need to check that out again.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:48 am 

Here's an interview with Homer Flynn, conducted by San Francisco newshound Josh Keppel:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/the-scene/eve ... 31089.html

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:36 pm 

I started listening to the Residents about three month ago. I came across the Mute mini-book copies of “Tweedles” and “Animal Lover” in the used bin at FYE, $17.50 for both. I thought the packaging & price was excellent, so I decided it was time to begin exploring their music.

I liked “Animal Lover” from the very first listen, “Tweedles” took several listens, very intense, both releases are a “movie for your ears” (to quote Frank Zappa).

Then I heard “Not Available” and something about that album really resonated with me.

I have been on a Residents binge for the last couple months.

Some of my favorites include “Fingerprince / Babyfingers”, “The Commercial Album, “Duck Stab / Buster & Glen”, “Animal Lover”, “Freak Show”, and “The 13th Anniversary Shows with Snakefinger (Live in Holland & Live in Tokyo).