Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:57 am 

I was about 13 or 14 when Bobby Brown became a hit and was played in the radio and i had it on one of these cheesy 20-Hits compilations. I cannot remember, if i ever heard anything else, before i bought my first album in 86 or 87 (does humor...). Only exception is a radio special a few years before, that interested me but not enough, to hook me up immediateley. It was then the entry about FZ in a rock encyclopedia together with the remembrance of this radioshow, that made me buy the first album.
I had expected more people here to have heard bobby brown in the radio as there first time listening to FZ. In the normal daytime radio i never heard another FZ-song. I remember that I always found the ending keyboards of Bobby Brown strange in some way, that i can't describe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:25 am 

Valley Girl and I think it was on the Dr Demento show (he also used to play a parody of the song called "Valley Guy" by ????). This gave me a a false impression of FZ as being all comedy rock. It wasnt until years later when I walked into a friends apartment who happen to be watching Baby Snakes (with his drums set up in front of the TV so he could learn the Bozzio solo) that I was hooked.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 am 

Cletus wrote:
Valley Girl and I think it was on the Dr Demento show (he also used to play a parody of the song called "Valley Guy" by ????). This gave me a a false impression of FZ as being all comedy rock. It wasnt until years later when I walked into a friends apartment who happen to be watching Baby Snakes (with his drums set up in front of the TV so he could learn the Bozzio solo) that I was hooked.

Good old Dr.Demento, he was on KROCK (KROQ) in LA, do you remember the Surf Punks...great stuff!... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:20 pm 

Plook wrote:
Cletus wrote:

Good old Dr.Demento, he was on KROCK (KROQ) in LA, do you remember the Surf Punks...great stuff!... :smoke:

I remember the Surf Punks...No Fat Chicks, Shark Attack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:40 pm 

bugler wrote:
r_a_Z_Z wrote:
First Zappa I ever heard was Overnite Sensation, or at least the first couple tracks. Didn't make much of an impression on me although I thought "I Am The Slime" sure had a nice riff. This album has gone on to become one of my favs :P

We're Only In It For The Money was the first Zappa I ever heard that made me shit my pants in amazement.

"Money" was fantastic on LSD.

It still is!

I first heard 50/50 then I had Apostrophe/Over-Nite Sensation on cassette, it was fine but I didn't understood what it was.
But We're Only In It For The Money really get me hooked, even if it was the Wackerman/Barrow version.
Now I know what the words really mean but it's still one of my fav.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:07 pm 

I listened to Joe's Garage and was incredibly underwhelmed, didn't really get hooked until Freak Out!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:44 pm 

Pretty sure my first listen was a friend's copy of Apostrophe, although it could have been Over-nite Sensation.

The first one I *bought* was Roxy and Elsewhere, which is still one of my very favorite Zappa albums.

What really got me hooked was when a college buddy turned me on to some of the Mothers' earlier works...Freak Out, Absolutely Free, and especially Weasels Ripped My Flesh! At that point I realized the absolute genius of the man and started collecting just about anything I could lay my hands on.