Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:29 am 

Well, I understand that ARP's Solina String Ensemble hit the markets later that year (late summer/fall, I think), so I assume that the poly string sound we hear in 'Son of Orange County' must come either from a prototype ARP or a European Solina String Ensemble, from which it was licensed, or from an Eminent 310 string section (already widely available from the early 70s on). Since It doesn't sound anything like an overdub, I'd be very happy to see a photo or some other verification. Even if it was overdubbed, it must have been made pre-July 1974, still very early for a real ARP solina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solina_String_Ensemble
http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/string.php
Strangely enough the Solina strings only got low-profile, if any, exposure thoughout the summer 1974 concerts, re-entering the scene around October that year, and were quite prominently used by Duke thru 1975 and the Bongo Fury tour.

Anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:28 am 

Did you already make an attempt to contact Mr. Duke directly?

http://www.georgeduke.com/contact.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:57 am 

Don Preston was also in the band for that Son Of Orange County track.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:19 am 

Thinman, I'm sorta terrified by the notion of approaching The Masters themselves with nerdy issus like that - :P
First thing I think I must do is check the spring 1974 tapes, Edinboro and so forth, for ARP (-type) strings -- not having listened to them for a long time (must be 7 years, in fact -- ) puts my mind in a haze
pbuzby wrote:
Don Preston was also in the band for that Son Of Orange County track.

I can't think of any photos of the spring '74 band in action -- pb, I'd be happy to have a rundown of the synth gear used on that particular tour -- jeez, it just springs to my mind that I don't even know whether Don Preston was still on Minimoog or already on acrylic-cased Modular -- :|
buff.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:49 am 

Just listened to the intro of Son Of OC on that Edinboro tape and it does not have the string synth, although this section of the song was not used on R&E.

R&E has a photo of Don onstage, and one of George with Tom and Chester that may be from spring '74 (as well as other photos that are presumably from the Roxy in December '73), but I don't know if there's enough there to determine what gear they had.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:56 am 

pbuzby wrote:
R&E has a photo of Don onstage

The Minimoog, yes, I forgot to open up my album sleeve -- thanks a lot!
I think it must be one of the very early albums to have synth strings on them (along with some Jarre and/ or Berlin School bands), nice to hear that Solina sound on an American album that was put together as early as spring 1974, a good 6 months or so before it popped up all over the place around the turn of the year (the sound, I mean...) -- It's also fun to stumble over that fact after having listened to the album for more than 20 years -- Now for some 'Nights on Broadway' - :wink:

I get the feeling that it must have been some sort of pre-release prototype affair by the ARP guys -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:23 pm 

It could be an Elka Rhapsody. Tony Banks used one on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway from '74. It sounds like a Solina to me, though. You can hear the same strings on the Bongo Fury album.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:10 am 

college rhythm wrote:
It sounds like a Solina to me, though. You can hear the same strings on the Bongo Fury album.

It just sprang to my mind that Patrick Gleeson is reported as having owned a prototype Solina in as early as '73.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:03 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
Just listened to the intro of Son Of OC on that Edinboro tape and it does not have the string synth, although this section of the song was not used on R&E.

R&E has a photo of Don onstage, and one of George with Tom and Chester that may be from spring '74 (as well as other photos that are presumably from the Roxy in December '73), but I don't know if there's enough there to determine what gear they had.

Is it possible that the synth strings in question are an overdub?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:00 pm 

zomby truth wrote:

Is it possible that the synth strings in question are an overdub?

FZ's liner notes claim that there are no overdubs on the "elsewhere" material. Admittedly, his liner notes weren't always correct.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:06 am 

Recently Wolfgang's Vault posted a solo set by Herbie Hancock at the Newport Jazz Festival in 1974. There is some similar string synth there.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/herbie-ha ... -1974.html

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:47 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
Recently Wolfgang's Vault posted a solo set by Herbie Hancock at the Newport Jazz Festival in 1974. There is some similar string synth there.

Absolutely true, pb, it's the same string machine (ARP Solina)Thanks, great link! I think the last time FZ (Tommy Mars, that is) used one on stage was during the Fall '80 tour ('Pick Me I'm Clean' (verses) and, uh, 'Honey' or 'Drowning Witch' from 'Buffalo') --

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:50 pm 

I had thought the string synth in fall 80 was from Bob Harris, since those parts appear while Tommy still plays the same parts as on the previous spring/summer 80 tour. Could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:57 am 

pbuzby wrote:
I had thought the string synth in fall 80 was from Bob Harris, since those parts appear while Tommy still plays the same parts as on the previous spring/summer 80 tour.

Good point -- and a good reason to pull Buffalo /TTR off the shelf once again! :) -- Thought of it as being the 'right-handed' Electrocomp-horns over some 'left-handed' ARP string pad sound, no?