Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 am 

Get Francesco Zappa! You cant go wrong with that!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:17 pm 

my younger brother recently impressed me by buying a very shitty vinyl copy of Freak Out! and sides 3 & 4 were way more played/beaten up than sides 1 & 2 which looked pretty good. i don't know why i'm telling you this but if i had to recommend FZ to any one i would say to start at Freak Out! and work your way to the most recent release.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:53 am 

Did I miss it, or no one mentioned Sleep Dirt (preferentially the LP version)? ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:55 am 

Definitely the LP of Sleep Dirt. One Size Fits All is an essential, can't go wrong with it. Maybe Jazz From Hell if you want to hear him at the Synclavier(which I think is usually excellent).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:50 am 

If you like his guitar solos or just instrumental music, buy the "Guitar" album! You wont be sorry!

It will knock you out! :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:50 am 

I'd say the following:

Apostrophe'
Over-Nite Sensation
Sheik Yer Bouti
and
Studio Tan (if only for Greggory Peccary)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:52 pm 

Shiek Yerbouti
Uncle Meat
One Size Fits All

All three are good LP's, Uncle Meat is pretty good for the jazz fusiony stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:44 pm 

ursinator wrote:
You could try to learn the albums to know in their order of release. I wish i could go back in time and do it this way. However you will do it, there is a lot to explore, have a lot of fun!

Having owned Hot Rats only for some years a chum turned me on to JABFLA in mid January. From here I got a second hand copy of the Mojo special and as a project decided to get all of their main recommendations and go back to the start and run through these sequentially. In the UK at least, FZ CD's seem to be very scarce at the moment and prices are escalating. Therefore to feed my new found obsession I have found myself purchasing, at fair prices, Freak Out, Absolutely Free, We're Only In It For The Money, Lumpy Gravy, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, The Grand Wazoo, Overnite Sensation, Apostrophe('), Roxy And Elsewhere, One Size Fits All, Zoot Allures, Lather, Sheik Yerbouti, Joe's Garage (Acts 1-3), Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch and The Yellow Shark since then! Goodness knows what my wife thinks about a new disc dropping onto the mat every few days but to her great credit she hasn't expressed a great deal of concern so far!
Rather than glut out on this amazing new music (to me at least!) I am giving each release the time I would normally give to any new release before moving on. I am currently listening to WOIIFTM and presently rate this as one of the best albums I have ever heard in my 44 years of listening! I have no idea why it has taken me so long to properly get Into FZ and whilst I have undoubtedly missed out for so long feel truly blessed and excited about what is sat on my shelf and will be explored fully throughout 2012!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:30 pm 

Having owned Hot Rats only for some years a chum turned me on to JABFLA in mid January. From here I got a second hand copy of the Mojo special and as a project decided to get all of their main recommendations and go back to the start and run through these sequentially. In the UK at least, FZ CD's seem to be very scarce at the moment and prices are escalating. Therefore to feed my new found obsession I have found myself purchasing, at fair prices, Freak Out, Absolutely Free, We're Only In It For The Money, Lumpy Gravy, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, The Grand Wazoo, Overnite Sensation, Apostrophe('), Roxy And Elsewhere, One Size Fits All, Zoot Allures, Lather, Sheik Yerbouti, Joe's Garage (Acts 1-3), Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch and The Yellow Shark since then! Goodness knows what my wife thinks about a new disc dropping onto the mat every few days but to her great credit she hasn't expressed a great deal of concern so far!
Rather than glut out on this amazing new music (to me at least!) I am giving each release the time I would normally give to any new release before moving on. I am currently listening to WOIIFTM and presently rate this as one of the best albums I have ever heard in my 44 years of listening! I have no idea why it has taken me so long to properly get Into FZ and whilst I have undoubtedly missed out for so long feel truly blessed and excited about what is sat on my shelf and will be explored fully throughout 2012![/quote]

I would like to be with you and sitting in front of you the day come back home with SHUT UP 'N PLAY YER GUITAR and you listen to it for the first time :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:48 pm 

I would like to be with you and sitting in front of you the day come back home with SHUT UP 'N PLAY YER GUITAR and you listen to it for the first time :wink: [/quote]

Cool. I'll let you know. Up to WRMF and already in mourning in anticipation of the end of the Mothers. I missed out Uncle Meat. Should I go back or carry on and pick up UM later?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:08 pm 

Spider Of Destiny wrote:

Greggery Peccary is not a good introduction to Zappa.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:13 am 

Of course it is! It has everything!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:25 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Spider Of Destiny wrote:

BBP wrote:

That is the reason for it to NOT be a good introduction.
If someone wants to start on the Track Team, you don't say "Try the Decathalon, it has everything!".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:10 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Spider Of Destiny wrote:

BBP wrote:

That is the reason for it to NOT be a good introduction.
If someone wants to start on the Track Team, you don't say "Try the Decathalon, it has everything!".

If you're new to watching track and field events, you might as well watch the decathalon. Why not?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:36 pm 

dipshit wrote:
If you're new to watching track and field events, you might as well watch the decathalon. Why not?

Peccarry is not like watching a decathlon. It's like watching them build the track.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:27 am 

Lather is great of you want a bit of everything! Heavy going in one sitting but three great albums if you can get it at a reasonable price. :)