Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:25 am 

Okay, not as important or as hi-fi as the official stuff, and yes FZ gets no money from them, but that aside bootlegs are an important part of history.  <br><br>It's like saying that his concerts were of no importance!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:43 am 

rats n snot wrote:
...FZ gets no money from them....
that's the main reason people don't like em, the majority who buy boots have most/all the official stuff anyway; boots are good for historical purposes like you say, or to fill in the cc blanks

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:17 pm 

i love bootlegs<br><br>i look at bootlegs as archaeological artifacts.  in the short and narrow bootlegs are demonized as a threat to legitimate commerce, a violation of the artists' right to control the presentation of their work.  phooey.  in 100 years they will be prized remnants of a bygone time.  must we wait for the dust of antiquity?<br><br>there are people who dedicate their lives to preserving ancient Incan temples where human sacrifices and mutilations were performed.  are these people sick, evil, or morally deficient?  of course not.  they are dedicated to the preservation of history.  i see nothing different about the preservation of bootlegs except for the passage of time.<br><br>an artifact is neither good nor evil.  it is a piece of living history valued for the wealth of knowledge and perspective it provides<br><br>i will continue collecting bootlegs with great pride and enjoyment and no regrets

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:37 am 

[quote author=Mr. Confusion link=board=albums;num=1058124330;start=0#5 date=07/15/03 at 06:48:23]Oh that's a simple one for me. Every one i have heard 'sounds' like TOTAL SHIT.  ;D[/quote]<br><br>Not true... there are ton of great FZ shows out there recorded at the soundboard that are of killer quality like the Sydney 1973 shows and alot of the 1974 tour and bunch of 1981 and 1984 shit. Alot of the audience tapes are also really good too. So... u be wrong son!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:10 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1058124330;start=0#11 date=07/16/03 at 03:19:05]Once you reach a certain critical mass with concert boots, you can see how songs were changing week to week or even night to night...<br><br>It's all right there in the bootlegs...[/quote]<br>MTF is absolutely right as usual.  a full FZ education cannot be achieved without entering the world of illicitly taped concerts.<br><br>however i consider this thread to be more of a discussion of bootlegs as products - vinyl and CD - versus tape trading which FZ himself distinguished very seperately and was more tolerant of<br><br>years ago i had convinced myself that vinyl bootlegs were king and that tape trading was a lost cause due to generational loss.  i was dead wrong.<br><br>but there is a whole other experience to be had with vinyl bootlegs.  CD boots are seldom as interesting as vinyl boots simply because the packaging is diminished and nowadays anyone can burn a CD.  a vinyl bootleg is a work of art.  even when they are awful there is a perverse and insolent quality to them that puts a smile on my face every time.<br><br>if you are a "completist" personality type then you're in big trouble.  you simply must own them all.  i got about half way there before the recession killed me.  happily that was about the same time i acquired my first FZ tape collection (~200 hours) and became an instant believer.  then i discovered the newsgroups and have been gorging myself there for the past 2 years.<br><br>my advice to someone new or unsure how to fill the void would be to avoid bootleg products.  manufactured bootlegs are exponentially more expensive and are generally of comparable to lesser quality compared to the alternatives such as free newsgroup downloads or person-to-person trading using lossless media (CD-R, DVD-R).