Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:43 am 

If the Zappateers are right, and live albums are forthcoming from

the Flo & Eddie era - and
the Beefheart tour

Let it be known that if they release straight-up concert documents - and blow another opportunity to gather up all those folklorically significant one-off songs/arrangements - they're wasting money and electricity. Their own, but not ours!

Remember, they could always "beat the boots" in order to disseminate things like:

George's Boogie, Orange Claw Hammer, Apostrophe(with a Don-led improvised prelude of course), the Boston Torture Never Stops/Marty's Dance medley, A Token Of..., the two JCB numbers from El Paso, one of those improvs with Don's poetry, Velvet Sunrise (especially if it's Baltimore, speed-corrected), the second half of the Baltimore improvs (speed-corrected), the version of PFAB with Crazy Little Thing in it, Debra Kedabra (with its instrumental preamble)

1970-1
Giraffe, Easy Substitute For Eternity Itself, the rehearsal version of the Groupie Opera, the unedited/undubbed London Pound For A Brown solos, the Rotterdam Billy The Mountain solos, Elephant Beer... having said that, we want to hear Nigey's guitar skills too, don't we?! (BTW, I wonder which songs gave rise to the shoe-fucking and whipped-cream-squirting)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:33 am 

Don't forget Portuguese Lunar Landing

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:33 pm 

No fucking way. Gail/Joe please don't base what you release on what the zappateers crowd thinks. There are alot of diehard fans like myself who DON'T spend time with and/or collect soundboards/audience boots from zappateers and want the real thing in official from whatever era.

I'd love a Vaulternative full show from the Bongo Fury tour. Flo 'n Eddie tours would be nice too, if it's something different than what Beat The Boots 1 & 2 gave us. Recent montage albums like One Shot Deal, Quadiophiliac are great too, but I love the full shows Vaulternative style.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:40 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
No fucking way. Gail/Joe please don't base what you release on what the zappateers crowd thinks. There are alot of diehard fans like myself who DON'T spend time with and/or collect soundboards/audience boots from zappateers and want the real thing in official from whatever era.

I'd love a Vaulternative full show from the Bongo Fury tour. Flo 'n Eddie tours would be nice too, if it's something different than what Beat The Boots 1 & 2 gave us. Recent montage albums like One Shot Deal, Quadiophiliac are great too, but I love the full shows Vaulternative style.

Have to agree w/ Fred. Been wanting a complete Bongo Fury show for a long time. A complete Flo & Eddie would be cool too.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:46 pm 

Come on, guys. Let's get our priorities straight. A '73 band live recording is FAR more worthy of release than another '75 band or Flo & Eddie era live recording, especially since there's hardly any live documentation of the '73 band thus far. Remember, we already have Bongo Fury & several Flo & Eddie era releases...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:51 pm 

i would like to hear a good version of giraffe, easy meat, holiday in berlin, or maybe even babette from the flo and eddie era

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:10 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Come on, guys. Let's get our priorities straight. A '73 band live recording is FAR more worthy of release than another '75 band or Flo & Eddie era live recording, especially since there's hardly any live documentation of the '73 band thus far. Remember, we already have Bongo Fury & several Flo & Eddie era releases...

I'll take one of those too.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:51 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:

???

What makes you think the "Zappateers crowd" wouldn't want a vaulternative release of a full BF show or F&E. The Vaulternative releases are precisely what I want (not that I speak for the "zappateers crowd").

As far as pleading for a release by certain line-up over another and being concerned that other fans aren't voicing your wishes, well since when has the family ever taken requests?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:31 am 

I like the patchwork releases, as in One Shot Deal and the like. The full concerts are nice, but there's always another version of tryin' to get a chin, sounding almost identical to the one on the previous release. Thumbs up for impossible concerts!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:10 am 

I'll take whatever Gail and the ZFT want to release 8)

I never liked people telling me what clothes I should wear , just because they think they MIGHT know what's in my closet. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:09 am 

I will take whatever they release -

IMO the Bongo Fury band has a lot more to show than what is on that lp -
The Flo & Eddie band could use another release - also since they are going to pop up in some ZPZ shows - perhaps the time is right.

Studio stuff that we might or might not know about is always interesting.

I'd LOVE the 72, 73 or 74 Waterbury shows...

but ANYTHING is good...kind of dealer's choice.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:48 am 

cyst-array wrote:
Debra Kedabra (with its instrumental preamble)

I don't think this song had an instrumental preamble. At one show (Passaic, I think) they did an improv seguing into DK and I believe Foggy G thought this was a composed preamble when he created his website a while back. In all other available versions DK is more or less the same as on Bongo Fury.

Those Passaic April 19 1975 shows are great, but since we already have them in good quality I'd prefer another show if they're going to do an official Bongo Fury Vaulternative release.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:09 am 

pbuzby wrote:
I'd prefer another show if they're going to do an official Bongo Fury Vaulternative release.

...as long as it has G.Duke on string synth (Solina) during the improv sections -- This is one funny little thing that's quite unique, those ethereal Arp strings hovering back and forth over some improvisational, semi-conducted mayhem -- I mean, that's underground. Same thing over some kind of funky Headhunterian clav vamp in 8/4 -- that's commercial... 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:48 pm 

I think they should release a complete concert of the Spring 1980 Sacramento concert. That's the only FZ concert I went to. I even got a title. ZAPPA - KillUgly in Sac 1980.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:36 pm 

I like all of the suggestions above, but would really love an official Mount St. Mary's release.

I think it was an April fools joke...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:33 am 

whatever they are, they're a secret, and we'll only know about them the day before.

because that is how you run a business :roll:

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:21 am 

I have a feeling - this weekend - today thru Sunday (Mother's day) something will be offered up from the ZFT - I'll take 2 please!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:04 am 

Bobby wrote:
I have a feeling - this weekend - today thru Sunday (Mother's day) something will be offered up from the ZFT - I'll take 2 please!

The pre-order for the special 25th Anniversary 4 CD/DVD Remix Remaster Edition of the Francesco Zappa Sessions project/object audio documentary. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:28 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Bobby wrote:

The pre-order for the special 25th Anniversary 4 CD/DVD Remix Remaster Edition of the Francesco Zappa Sessions project/object audio documentary. :wink:

That would be something to rock out.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:31 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Bobby wrote:

That would be something to rock out.

I'd still buy a copy.
(I'm soooo weak and obsessed. :cry: )

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:40 pm 

Yeah, me too.

Oh, but Gail if you please the '73 show from Princeton because I was there.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:42 am 

Norske wrote:
I[...] would really love an official Mount St. Mary's release.

That's one hip mo@herf%'ck§r of a choice! Just give me a quick ride on your fixie bike! Then, let's form a two-man chain for Opus 5.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:32 pm 

wow TWEEZERS...you're old!

Now me thinks the ARLINGTON show from '73 was supreme!
GREAT GEORGE DUKE stuff!!

freak out

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:24 pm 

jeddy wrote:
wow TWEEZERS...you're old!

Now me thinks the ARLINGTON show from '73 was supreme!
GREAT GEORGE DUKE stuff!!

freak out

Yes sir jeddy I did. My first FZ live.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:45 am 

I'd go for a massive and complete 1988 tour box with all concerts in plain and environment-friendly cardboard sleeves inside a giant washing powder case - a 170-disc set, or something, and since it was all recorded to 48 track digital, minimal format conversion and cleaning-up would be necessary. And, lest i forget, DMT comes as a bonus disc!

Well, you heard about the beret, right? This one's gonna come with some exciting stuff from the hardware store for u Micro-Republicans with your NRA cards! :)